love

Author Topic: Compliment Another Filmspotter  (Read 272502 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Compliment Another Filmspotter
« Reply #2040 on: November 03, 2016, 03:50:53 PM »
I would like to thank Sam for updating the list of best by year polls and putting on with our TV episodes shenanigans and vote-changing.

Turns out the best kind of Snob is the one that is compulsively drawn to establish yearly rankings.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2041 on: November 03, 2016, 04:32:09 PM »
Happy to do it. It's a good way to feel productive without that much work.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #2042 on: December 31, 2016, 01:36:34 PM »
Taking a lull in my holiday for an announcement. Some people might be shocked to learn that I do not celebrate Thanksgiving but there is not much I can do about that. With that in mind, the end of the year seems like a good moment to air some thoughts.

Martin: Thanks for challenging me on the Once v Before Sunrise poll. My mind hasn't been changed, but now I have a new score to obsess about and listen to at two in the morning when I feel sad or Irish. It should help staying away from Hamilton...

1SO: Without your many (many) marathons there would be genres I would be much more ignorant about, in particular horror. Thank you for organising them every year and pushing me to try new stuff I would otherwise be reluctant to get to. The Thing was loads of fun, and your recommendations are, as a rule, spot on.

Corndog: I will always be envious of your being able to attend screenings before anyone ; a plague on your house and all that. It allows me to know in advance, to a certain degree of accuracy, whether or not I will like those movie though, so not all is darkness and desolation. Also, I like your writing.

Sandy: I never understand your reviews but I am glad you write them.

Teproc: You make me feel self conscious about all the movie I have to catch up with but that's alright because then you also make me feel self conscious about the length and quality (and existence) of my reviews.

pixote: Your ever-present non-capitalised signature is a beacon of stability in all our lives.

Corndog & pixote: The Filmspots are one of my favourite things on the boards. Your work is appreciated.

Bondo: Thanks for the threads you are in charge of too. Your reviews are compelling, different readings of the movies I have watched.

oldkid: I am beginning to suspect you are not a kid. It's okay though, you like anime, and Avatar, which is a separate thing, and also other non-animated things. Good luck on your new projects (I voted teacher, but I am not sure this is a public's choice situation).

chardy: I don't know if you realise, but it's NYE in the northern hemisphere right now - I guess yours is like in July right ? I will get back to you then.

Dave: Thank you for the Box Office games. If I win, I will give you half the prize.

smirnoff: You always manage to make me laugh, which is not that hard to do really, but my real life conversations are sorely lacking in context-appropriate gifs. Keep up the good work.

DarkeningHumour: Stop talking about yourself in the third person.

jdc: I dare not imagine what you are going to do to listen to live jazz now. Who ever heard of such a thing in London ? Anyway, thanks for the beers. I am going to have a couple in a minute. They do not cost half a month's salary. What a brave new world.

Junior: I was going to compliment you in specific terms but I don't want the conversation to be moved to the Junior spoiler thread. Instead I will try to remain general. « Makes some sensible points but sometimes the plot veers into insane directions that leave me nonplussed. There are not that many action scenes ; the comedy makes up for it though.Easy watch with a great cast of characters. ***** - Will rewatch, but not in a sexual way. »

goodguy: Thank you for reminding me that there are tons of movies out there that never make their way to my multiplex.

The Mods: You put up with all my various kinds of nonsense, which is not always easy I am told.

The Admins: Thank you for all your work and for taking care of this forum - even though I know you're really all fragments of saltine's psyche, which got fractured when a kangaroo hit her with an alligator on the head some years ago. You're pretty alright for fictional people.

I shall not be wishing anyone a happy year because the forum runs on the Filmspots calendar, as is only proper.

Toodles.

(If I have forgotten anyone just assume I was in a hurry to join the celebrations, or I am drunk, or possibly, and not entirely improbable, a bit thick.)
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2043 on: December 31, 2016, 01:46:11 PM »
A genius post.  Thank you, DH!

And stop talking about yourself in the third person.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2044 on: December 31, 2016, 01:52:52 PM »
Thank you DarkeningHumour, a lovely post for the changeover of the year.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #2045 on: December 31, 2016, 02:08:29 PM »
A great post! I echo the comments, particularly with respect to the amount of effort people put in behind the scenes to keep the boards/threads/brackets etc. running smoothly.

chardy: I don't know if you realise, but it's NYE in the northern hemisphere right now - I guess yours is like in July right ? I will get back to you then.

Thank you DH, although I am in Mexico for a month so I'm living in the past! Enjoy ticking over, here's to 2017.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2046 on: December 31, 2016, 04:07:34 PM »
Bondo: Thanks for the threads you are in charge of too. Your reviews are compelling, different readings of the movies I have watched.

I aim for my life to be an answer to the question "what can Marxism do for you?"

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2047 on: December 31, 2016, 04:12:16 PM »
You're welcome to take part in my madness anytime.

Thanks for making me a part of your terrific post.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #2048 on: January 01, 2017, 01:11:15 AM »
Wonderful post, DarkeningHumour! :)

signed, Sandyopacity.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2049 on: January 01, 2017, 04:06:59 AM »
Taking a lull in my holiday for an announcement. Some people might be shocked to learn that I do not celebrate Thanksgiving but there is not much I can do about that. With that in mind, the end of the year seems like a good moment to air some thoughts.

jdc: I dare not imagine what you are going to do to listen to live jazz now. Who ever heard of such a thing in London ? Anyway, thanks for the beers. I am going to have a couple in a minute. They do not cost half a month's salary. What a brave new world.

Anytime, not only is beer more reasonably priced, there are actually real options as well.  A brave new world indeed.  If you are ever in the neighborhood let me know.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman