Author Topic: 215: Get Smart /Overlooked DVDs /'70s Sci-Fi Awards /Top 5 Actor-Director Duos  (Read 8770 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
We already have our Top 5... Movies About Loneliness.

Ooooh. That's a good one. Very wide topic, lot of good choices. Can't wait to see the lists.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Wowser

• Elite Member
I really liked the format this week A LOT. Something for everyone and so many films were squeezed in, without dwelling too long on any one thing. BRAVO! I hope you will return to this format in future.

And once again, Matty's poetic musings on Silent Running's droids: very touching

ian

Adam was right, the droids were too slow :)

wetnap

gotta disagree with the lars and the real girl recommendation even if its just a mild one.
it was mind numbingly stupid, unrealistic and worst of all boring.  it has nothing to say because its just so contrived and unrealistic.  silly portrayal of mental illness, annoying and shallow characters who all unrealistically go along with his delussion.  a script that waters down a concept of a man buying a sex doll by making the relationship unbelievably chaste.  of course they give this total loser a love interest who looks decent and isn't totally freaked out by his relationship with a love doll.  i'm not sure whether to call that "hollywood" bs or just insulting.  basically they took a concept  with potential and took the safest way out of it.

wetnap

and oh, i've been going through the old podcasts, i see you guys have experienced some of argentos old horror films.  some pretty bad.

phenomena is one you might want to see.  i guess it could be said to be so bad its good, especially since the lead is jennifer connelly!

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.

I thought I explained a little why I have 'turned on' Ryan Gosling. I didn't believe Lars, the character, for a second... in a movie mostly filled with 'real' people like his brother and sister in law. And there isn't a moment in that movie where he isn't calling attention to his performance. Which also helps answer the charge about Patricia Clarkson being wooden... for me it was a relief from watching Gosling smile and blink.

But the character also calls attention to himself as a socially awkward/mentally handicaped guy in a small town who parades around with a doll.  In real life in a large city this would be someone you pass on the street and try to ignore but when cast as the lead in a film it becomes unnerving to watch.  I think Lars is indeed a 'real person' just one that most people don't run into often enough to recognize as such.  I know a guy (wow I just said that) in the mental health profession and he was extremely happy with Gosling's portrayal.

Moviebuff28

• Elite Member
I hope you guys are planing on reviewing Wanted next week along with Wall-E

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
In the calendar its listed as part of MMM - Adam didn't seem to keen on it during the summer preview show.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting

I thought I explained a little why I have 'turned on' Ryan Gosling. I didn't believe Lars, the character, for a second... in a movie mostly filled with 'real' people like his brother and sister in law. And there isn't a moment in that movie where he isn't calling attention to his performance. Which also helps answer the charge about Patricia Clarkson being wooden... for me it was a relief from watching Gosling smile and blink.

But the character also calls attention to himself as a socially awkward/mentally handicaped guy in a small town who parades around with a doll.  In real life in a large city this would be someone you pass on the street and try to ignore but when cast as the lead in a film it becomes unnerving to watch.  I think Lars is indeed a 'real person' just one that most people don't run into often enough to recognize as such.  I know a guy (wow I just said that) in the mental health profession and he was extremely happy with Gosling's portrayal.
Right, he is mentally ill... but he seems to function at his job like a 'normal' guy and everyone regards him as just a bit eccentric until he starts talking to a doll... except that Gosling's day-to-day behavior (not just his actions, but his mannerisms) are beyond a bit eccentric.

No, we didn't see Wanted last week. I was out of town.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
For me the biggest problem with Lars wasn't the performances but was instead the execution of the concept;  I had a hard time accepting the whole 'it takes a village' notion. The implausability of this town pulling together for Lars never quite made sense to me. Maybe they could have included an incident or two where some kids down at the mall are cruel while Lars is wheeling her around. I couldn't get past how incredibly creepy this behavior actually is. In an actual small town parents wouldn't let their children out past dark for fear that Lars was a serial killer. Maybe the writer grew up in an extremely open-minded town, but I've never been in one where I think that reaction makes much sense.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.