love

Poll

What's your favorite work by Jonathan Glazer?

haven't seen any
0 (0%)
don't like any
1 (4.8%)
other
0 (0%)
Virtual Insanity Video
2 (9.5%)
Rabbit In Your Headlights Video
0 (0%)
Karma Police Video
0 (0%)
Sexy Beast
4 (19%)
Birth
1 (4.8%)
Under the Skin
13 (61.9%)
The Zone of Interest
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Glazer, Jonathan  (Read 4117 times)

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
Re: Glazer, Jonathan
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 10:19:11 PM »
1. Sexy Beast
2. Under the Skin

3. Birth
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

Slacker

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 09:52:55 PM »
Really don't like his stuff.  Didn't like much about sexy beast.  It felt like a ripoff of other 90s crime films.  And I did not like under the skin.  Too much unnecessarily harsh shit going on, did not appreciate it.

Well, actually I do really like the The Stranglers, and he has that Stranglers song in sexy beast so I guess that's a good thing.  He clearly has good taste in music I just don't care for his movies.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 05:53:15 AM »
Under the Skin

Don't see any reason to watch more at this point.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 11:35:03 AM »
Just because you said that...

Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast is quite simply a film like no other. Sold as a standard gangster picture, it's a dark and very moody. The script is quite thin, but what director Jonathan Glazer does with it is one of the decade's most remarkable feats of filmmaking. This could've gone wrong a million different ways, and Glazer found the only right way to make it.

The film revels in offbeat touches, from a love scene filmed with the couple floating above the city to an armed rabbit/human hybrid. (Makes no sense now, but it adds tremendously to the films constant unease.) Yet the film's most commanding moments are its simplest. The film revolves around a retired gangster (Ray Winstone)  and the man determined to bring him out of retirement. That man is Don Logan. 

The film builds up a dream world leading to the first utterance of his name. "Don Logan". When we first hear it, the camera does a small but very obvious pullback, as if the cameraman wants to flee the room. 

Glazer builds up the man's reputation and the tremendous live wire performance by Ben Kingsley fulfills the promise of a man who makes every meeting, every meal, every conversation a very tense one. Kingsley doesn't just play one-note venom. He's truly unpredictable, sometimes over-the-top, sometimes understated and very clever, and sometimes he comes off as sad and hurt. Nobody wants a visit from Don Logan. We completely understand why, but Logan himself doesn't get it.

This makes an excellent double bill with Reservoir Dogs. While that film focused on the aftermath of a heist that doesn't go according to plan, Beast focuses almost completely on the set up. It's about trying to convince the key man to come out of retirement for one last job. The man is done, but Don Logan doesn't take 'no' for an answer.  The verbal battles are so perfectly realized that it's a shame when events shift focus in the final act. Glazer tries too hard to sustain the mood, then lets it slip away into a low-key denouncement.

But even with that crippling last half-hour, I cannot bring myself to punish Sexy Beast. The first hour is emotionally perfect and Glazer's visual style and the way he plays his actors off each other is something to be cherished.
* * * - Very Good
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 07:39:26 AM by 1SO »

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 10:39:14 AM »
If you're trying to get me to watch more Glazer it's not going to work.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 10:53:03 AM »
I'm just trying to give you a reason to watch more at some point in the future.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 10:57:17 AM »
Fair enough. Would you call that sci-fi?

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 02:28:23 PM »
No. It's a British gangster movie with stylish flourishes, a style very different from Under the Skin. Lee suggestive and more aggressive, like you would see in Trainspotting or Snatch.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 07:15:48 AM »
Under The Skin, 75˚
Birth, 70˚

Birth has grown on me in a strange way since I first saw it and I liked Under The Skind as soon as I had finished it. There is no reason why I shouldn't get to Sexy Beast soon-ish.

Here is a side for some supplementary studies.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2024, 11:28:02 PM »
1. The Zone of Interest
2. Under the Skin

Can you add ZoI to the poll please?

love