love

Author Topic: Tanner '88  (Read 1878 times)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Tanner '88
« on: June 25, 2008, 10:13:48 AM »
I know it was an HBO series but whatever. It has a Criterion release and Altman made it so I don't feel guilty about posting it here.

I've only seen the first episode and was kind of lukewarm on it but I really want to like it. Are there any fans out there? Should I stick with it?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 05:03:30 PM by matt the movie watcher »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

mattybgame

Re: Tanner '88
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 11:19:49 AM »
Unfortunately, I think its genius was in presaging the '92 Clinton phenomenon more than in its execution.

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 11:37:52 AM »
I enjoy it as a historical artifact more than anything else. It was made in response to the way Gary Hart was treated in the '88 primaries. Hart was the first "boomer" candidate to get into the horse race, and there is some of that generational tension in the program.

What struck me the most about it was how much Regan-bashing there was - lots of jokes revolving around calling him stupid. I have gotten so used to the past decade or so of Regan canonization that I forgot how unpopular he was in some circles.

Anyway, it is a product of its time.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 12:47:12 PM by m_rturnage »
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 12:06:58 PM »
Is Reagan-basing more like free-basing or base-jumping?  Do you grind up Reagan's bones, dissolve them in a solution, and shoot the solution into your veins? Or do you jump from a tall Reagan while clutching a small parachute?

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 12:48:18 PM »
Is Reagan-basing more like free-basing or base-jumping?  Do you grind up Reagan's bones, dissolve them in a solution, and shoot the solution into your veins? Or do you jump from a tall Reagan while clutching a small parachute?

Free-basing. How else can you explain the people who claim they are just like Regan?
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 12:51:31 PM »
No ringing endorsements so far. I may not soldier on past the lackluster first episode 
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

BelmontATO

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 12:21:44 PM »
I also found it to be sub-par. In the age of The Daily Show and Christopher Guest (not to mention the audacity of the real life media these days), I found it to be... boring. I watched about four episodes and I couldn't do it anymore.

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 04:06:22 PM »
i didn't really get into it
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

love