Author Topic: Zero Effect  (Read 5839 times)

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
Zero Effect
« on: June 27, 2008, 06:37:35 PM »
I've seen this mentioned a couple of times on the board, but I don't think it has its own thread.

Someone recently asked me for a movie recommendation that was a fun little mystery, "like 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang'" and this was all I could think of. I haven''t seen it in years but remember being really impressed with it. And the more I think of it, the fonder I get of it.

Any thoughts?
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: Zero Effect
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 07:18:34 PM »
I haven't seen the movie in a few years and I don't generally like Bill Pullman all that much, but man do I love this movie.  I heard that Kasdan was trying to turn it into a tv series and I think that would've been really interesting.

samfuller

• Foreigner's Guide to Film Culture in Korea
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 10:08:26 AM »
I really like this film as well, one of the few movies of recent years I can watch over and over again like I used to do with older classical films. Don't know why Kim Dickens never became a bigger name actress, she's great.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 10:49:44 AM »
She's pretty good on Deadwood.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

BelmontATO

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 12:46:41 PM »
I'm a big fan of this one. It's like what would happen if "Monk" was on HBO.

Spectre8

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 08:55:02 PM »
Another great film! 

Cannot seem to find this on DVD anywhere in Australia - shame, as it really was a nicely paced, good film that didn't write tickets on itself. 

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 10:18:11 PM »
never saw it but have been meaning to get around to it forever...

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 10:41:59 PM »
I thought it was okay. Sort of had my hopes way up with all the talk it seemed to be getting and it didn't quite meet them. I would probably enjoy it more the second time around, no expectations.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 12:35:51 AM »
I thought it was okay. Sort of had my hopes way up with all the talk it seemed to be getting and it didn't quite meet them. I would probably enjoy it more the second time around, no expectations.

Yeah, I saw it when it first came out on DVD without knowing anything about it and so it caught me off guard. It drags a bit in parts but I can still picture Pullman shoveling down those cans of tuna. If I remember correctly, it also has one of the last restrained performances by Ben Stiller.

Spectre8

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 09:00:20 PM »
Well, thanks to Amazon, I'm now the proud owner of this great film on DVD!  Wasn't sure how my film-buff girlfriend would take it the first time round, but she really enjoyed it too.

Very understated, but has a really nice quiet depth to it.  This is a gem for me.  There are some certain themes that have really stayed with me from when I saw this at the cinema all those years ago. Great film, and if you're keen on quiet, deep but light films, I'd strongly recommend this one - it has a lot to offer.

love