1 (7.7%)
Elizabethtown
0 (0%)
We Bought a Zoo
0 (0%)
Aloha
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Crowe, Cameron  (Read 7887 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Directors Best Poll - Cameron Crowe
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 09:30:50 AM »
1. Untitled
You've already seen it? Wow.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 09:37:47 AM »
Untitled (Almost Famous - The Bootleg Cut)
“That’s what you remember, man. It’s the little things. The silly things. The mistakes. 
It makes the song. It’s what you leave out. Now that’s Rock and Roll.”

I’ve already sung the praises of Almost Famous .  So how is there enough of a difference between that version and this Untitled Bootleg Cut, that it deserves its own separate ranking?

I’ll start by saying it’s not about the individual extra 40 minutes of footage. It’s how the scenes enhance the overall film.  One of my problems with Almost Famous has always been that at just over two hours, its not long enough.  Cameron Crowe’s theatrical edit is so merciless, it’s truncated. 

Crowe has stated that the longer cut of this deeply personal story felt self-indulgent, with a lot of little throwaway moments he personally liked that took away from the main narrative.  (As if we didn't want to spend more time with Stillwater, Lester Bangs, Penny Lane and the rest of the wonderful ensemble.)  I find those extra little bits flesh everything out with captivating detail.  It creates an even better feel of time and place, bringing an epic scope that befits its 160 minute running time without causing any drag on the overall pace. 

Even more than before, you are there, in William Miller’s shoes, feeling the transcendent power of great Rock and Roll as it courses through his veins.  It’s more of everything you love about the original version, without letting any of the air out of the film.  That’s because along with the little moments, there are a few dialogue scenes I definitely recognize as new, and they’re every bit as good as the theatrical footage.

For example, I remember a shot where William sees Penny Lane hang her coat over the window of the Ice & Vending room.  Untitled goes into the room, giving some great insight into her relationship with Stillwater guitarist, Russell Hammond.

I wish I could say all the new stuff is to the movie’s benefit or at the very least unnoticeable.  There’s a scene at the 40 minute mark where the sisters boyfriend climbs through Russell’s bedroom window for a visit, and it’s the definition of unnecessary footage.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 07:46:54 AM by 1SO »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 09:57:51 AM »
Ah, okay, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about his untitled project coming out next year. Forgot about the bootleg cut of Almost Famous.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 10:17:37 AM »
(As if we didn't want to spend more time with Stillwater, Lester Bangs, Penny Lane and the rest of the wonderful ensemble.)

No, "we" didn't.  "We" wanted to punch them in their dumb faces.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 10:53:53 AM »
Never thought the additional scenes added anything interesting.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 11:04:06 AM »
I've only seen the Bootleg Cut and the vast majority of it feels "necessary". I rarely wanted the scene to get moving because I wasn't interested.

I'm glad you had this experience with it, 1SO. Funny that his two best movies for you are the same movie.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 03:15:35 PM »
Not half as funny as the Screenshot Martin selected for his review.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 03:58:42 PM »
(As if we didn't want to spend more time with Stillwater, Lester Bangs, Penny Lane and the rest of the wonderful ensemble.)

No, "we" didn't.  "We" wanted to punch them in their dumb faces.
The irritation that the above comment communicates, is exactly how I feel about this film. It's really CINECAST!ing smug. Singles pees all over it.

Actually looking at his filmography I'm shocked how far he has declined. He started right in that Linklater/ van Sant sweet spot of youth cool. What happened? I was under the illusion that Crowe still had it. I appreciate the wake up call.

Actually We Bought A Zoo isn't on the list. I haven't heard anything to think it breaks this poor streak. (Sorry noff- how do you think Vanilla Sky is a patch on the original again?)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:03:32 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2014, 03:23:09 PM »
1. Almost Famous (2000)
2. Say Anything... (1989)
3. Singles (1992)

Jerry Maguire (1996)
Vanilla Sky (2001)
We Bought a Zoo (2011)

Zoo will probably get bumped to purple one day.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2014, 04:28:44 PM »
Jerry MacGuire was so charming and fun.

Almost Famous was good.

Say Anything was meh.

Vanilla Sky was barely watchable.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky