Author Topic: 5-10 Movies A Film 'Connoisseur' Has To See  (Read 4943 times)

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
Re: 5-10 Movies A Film 'Connoisseur' Has To See
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 09:07:14 PM »
I just wrote this whole long thing about how these lists should be a little more basic and my IE7 crashed.  Stupid work computer.

Anyway, the main idea of it was that instead of picking the "best" films, we should start a list with the foundations of certain genres/themes/etc.  Sort of a cross between what we're doing here and what Paul Schrader did a couple of years ago.  I used Unforgiven as an example; I think it's a better film than Shane but I would recommend someone see Shane first to get a better idea of what Unforgiven is doing with the Western genre.  What films are necessary viewing to hold one's own in a basic intelligent conversation about film?  And then what films are the absolute best of the best?  Think of it like with books.  You'll give a kid Huck Finn to read before 1984.

I cannot understand why Citizen Kane is so revered. I have watched it 4 times trying to find its "obvious" genius and I cannot. Can someone point me to a blog/article that explains why this movie is so universally revered?
I always ask people who say this about Kane: what is it that doesn't work for you about it?  What leaves you wanting?  Is it purely expectations based on its position at the top of "best" lists or is there really something in the film itself that you don't connect with?

When I saw Citizen Kane for the first time I expected to be so bored, but it absolutely blew my mind. I really connected with it and loved it. However, even if someone doesn't enjoy it or find it all that groundbreaking, every film "connoisseur" should see if purely for the reason that it is so revered. It has influenced so many movies, and been referenced so often that it should be required viewing for everyone who likes film.

My list is pretty obvious and basic.

1. Citizen Kane
2. Casablanca
3. The Godfather
4. Taxi Driver
5. Psycho

"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Aaron

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 11:56:02 AM »
The Searchers (or Man who Shot Liberty Vallance)
Tokyo Story
Something by Robert Altman (Long Goodbye, Gosford Park, Mash, too hard to pick just one)
Small Change
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Jaws
Road Warrior
Tampopo
Tales of Hoffman
Dawn of the Dead (original)
Kubrick. Probably Clockwork Orange

I sure if you ask me tomarrow, it would be a whole new list. 

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 08:55:09 PM »
Hoop Dreams
By including a documentary on your list (and also posting this a few weeks back), you are well on your way to challenging Basil's title as the greatest person ever.

pixote
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:07:28 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 10:24:26 PM »
Hoop Dreams
By including a documentary on your list (and also posting this a few weeks back), you are well on your way to challenging Basil's title as the greatest person ever.

pixote

My mother will be pleased to know I've been nominated.

Is it for including a documentary, or Hoop Dreams in particular?

There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 10:37:13 PM »
A documentary in general, though Hoop Dreams is a fantastic choice, I agree.

Hi, mom!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad