1 (2.7%)
haven't seen any
2 (5.4%)
don't like any
0 (0%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Truffaut, François  (Read 5474 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Directors Best Poll - François Truffaut
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 03:48:38 PM »
Jules and Jim (1962)

Opening with the playful irreverence of the French New Wave, there's a moment, tempo and flow with the camera and editing that finally simmers down as the film morphs into a slightly more conventional told story about two good friends who become infatuated with a form and then a woman of the form. If it was just about their quest, Jules and Jim might be good, but the woman they find becomes such an overblown, cruel and heartless woman that Jules and Jim becomes insufferable and annoying to watch.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 01:51:46 PM »
The 400 Blows
The Last Metro

Jules et Jim

Shoot the Piano Player
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Shoot the Piano Player is also my least favorite. I'm telling you, Day For Night. Don't quit on Truffaut until you watch that one.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 06:44:16 AM »
Shoot the Piano Player is also my least favorite. I'm telling you, Day For Night. Don't quit on Truffaut until you watch that one.

I don't plan on quitting him, but he has made it more difficult to go in with any sort of anticipation of greatness. I couldn't believe how bad that last film was. If I wasn't so busy right now, I'd write a pretty scathing review. I'll get around to it sometime next week.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Totoro

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 05:39:41 AM »
Les Mistons is fantastic. Only 17 minutes long, but deserves every bit of love as his best films get.

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 05:51:04 PM »
5.) THE MAN WHO LOVED WOMEN
4.) SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER
3.) FAHRENHEIT 451
2.) DAY FOR NIGHT
1.) THE 400 BLOWS

jascook

• Cue the sun
    • Jas Watches Movies:  The Blog
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 06:43:15 PM »
Jules and Jim (1962)

Opening with the playful irreverence of the French New Wave, there's a moment, tempo and flow with the camera and editing that finally simmers down as the film morphs into a slightly more conventional told story about two good friends who become infatuated with a form and then a woman of the form. If it was just about their quest, Jules and Jim might be good, but the woman they find becomes such an overblown, cruel and heartless woman that Jules and Jim becomes insufferable and annoying to watch.

I was trying to remember what it was about Jules and Jim that made me hold it in such low regard when I saw it five years ago.

After reading this, I remember.  The woman isn't worth all the fuss, the way she carries on.

I've seen five Truffaut films.  Two were great (400 Blows and Day for Night), two were pretty good (Shoot the Piano Player and Small Change), and well, Jules and Jim was the other one.

That's a good enough track record for me to want to see more, though.
Sara: Good-bye, father Isak. Can't you see you're the one I love? Today, tomorrow and forever.
Isak Borg: I'll keep that in mind.

Totoro

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 06:57:36 PM »
Day for Night (A)
Stolen Kisses (A-)
Jules & Jim (B+)
Les Mistons (B+)
Confidentially Yours (B)
The 400 Blows (B)
Antoine et Colette (B)
Fahrenheit 451 (B-)
The Last Metro (B-)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 07:54:12 AM »
Jules and Jim (1962)

I was trying to remember what it was about Jules and Jim that made me hold it in such low regard when I saw it five years ago.

After reading this, I remember.  The woman isn't worth all the fuss, the way she carries on.
Yea, the woman they pine for is put in such a negative light I wonder if Truffaut was going through a breakup at the time. It just became too much after a while.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 05:59:45 PM »
Truffaut stands no. 8 in my director's 100.

Given my favourite film by Truffaut, perhaps Antares could get around to posting his review, which he, earlier, promised would be "pretty scathing". C'mon mate, bare your teeth and come and have a go!  8)

1. Shoot the Piano Player
2. Stolen Kisses
3. The 400 Blows
4. Day for Night
5. Domicile Conjugal
6. The Last Metro
7. Fahrenheit 451
8. The Bride Wore Black
9. Small Change
10. Love on the Run
11. Jules and Jim
12. The Man Who Loved Women
13. The Soft Skin
14. Mississippi Mermaid
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 06:03:19 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

love