love

Poll

What Style of Animation is your Favorite?

Western Traditional  (Fantasia, Lion King)
9 (25.7%)
Japanese Anime  (Akira, Spirited Away)
9 (25.7%)
Computer Animation  (Toy Story, WALL-E)
6 (17.1%)
Modern Stylized  (Simpsons, Beavis and Butthead, South Park)
1 (2.9%)
Claymation (Wallace and Gromit)
5 (14.3%)
Motion Capture  (Polar Express, Beowulf)
0 (0%)
Other
3 (8.6%)
None
2 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Favorite Type of Animation and Future of the Artform Thread  (Read 7862 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
I was always fascinated by animation and the possibilities it gives an artist, and it seems to me that we are living through a time of great change in this field.  With Disney closing down its last traditional animation studio, and Pixar producing hit after hit, is there any future for traditional animation?  Will Ghibli carry the fire of this disapearing artform?  With the advent of motion capture technology will animation and live action blend into a single medium?  Is there any use for animation when CGI lets live action directors depict anything they can imagine in photorealistic quality?   

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 01:22:26 PM by zarodinu »
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

chesterfilms

• Godfather
Re: Favorite Type of Animation and Future of the Artform Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 01:39:39 PM »
disney will continue to do traditionally animated (2-D) films. the frog princess will come out in 2009.
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 09:45:25 PM »
disney will continue to do traditionally animated (2-D) films. the frog princess will come out in 2009.

I am glad to hear that, I thought they were all done.  So strange, they made a bunch of great films in the 90's, and just sort of died off.  It would be a real crime if 2D animation went the way of silent movies, computer animation is good but it is different, it can never replace traditional stuff.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 12:29:14 AM »
So strange, they made a bunch of great films in the 90's, and just sort of died off.  It would be a real crime if 2D animation went the way of silent movies, computer animation is good but it is different, it can never replace traditional stuff.

Not so strange.  Jeffrey Katzenberg deserves a lot of credit for putting together an amazingly talented team of writers, directors and musicians in the late 80's.  He faltered with Oliver & Company, but shepherded Disney's 2nd Golden Age with The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King.  It was during The Lion King that Jeffrey had his major falling out with Disney Chief Michael Eisner.  He left and we got some projects that Jeffrey started up: Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan and Tarzan.

Eisner replaced Katzenberg with a strong belief in using a studio formula instead of creative artists.  This led to Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear and Home on the Range.  He blamed the failure of his films on the belief that people were no longer interested in 2D animation.

John Lasseter is bringing back 2D with animators Ron Clements and John Musker.  They had done The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and Hercules.  They also did Treasure Planet, but left the Disney company soon afterwards because they were handcuffed by Eisner's "Studio before Art" attitude.  (Their pitch on the film was VERY different.)  Lasseter convinced the duo that they would have complete artistic freedom, and he's keeping to his word.

By the way, I voted 'None.'  My favorite type of animation is whatever style is best for the story being told.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 12:31:16 AM by 1StrongOpinion »

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 12:45:50 AM »
I'm not really into animation so I went with the type that I have put the most time in with ---- the Simpsons.

But I think I'm up for all types --- except motion capture.   
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 12:52:17 AM »
I would have voted none except I have a passionate dislike for nearly all anime (there are some notable exceptions) and since I prefer 2D animation to 3D purely from an artistic perspective I had to vote Western Animation.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 01:48:55 AM »
I would have voted none except I have a passionate dislike for nearly all anime (there are some notable exceptions) and since I prefer 2D animation to 3D purely from an artistic perspective I had to vote Western Animation.

Mind elaborating why you hate anime?  Is it just cause most of it is crap (excluding Ghibli and a few great action flicks)?  Or do you have a problem with the actual look of the anime? 

I'm not really into animation so I went with the type that I have put the most time in with ---- the Simpsons.
But I think I'm up for all types --- except motion capture.  

I also have a fondness for the roughness of modern stylized animation, loved South Park for that reason.  I agree with your distate for motion capture, I am afraid that little technology will eventually kill both live action and animated blockbuster films, besides Gollum, I am yet to see it put to good use. 

By the way, I voted 'None.'  My favorite type of animation is whatever style is best for the story being told.

Thanks for clarifying the shinanigans at Disney, I had a feeling it was something that could be blamed on the suites.  I agree with you that animation should match the style, still, something about traditional animation makes it special for me, given good material it enchances the expirience instead of just complementing it. 

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 02:09:21 AM »
like 1strong I've found animation to be form following function for me.  I could really care less about how the anthropomorphic creature is rendered as long as the writing behind it is damn fine.  I spend the most time with modern.  But for the poll if I were just watching colors on a screen i'd like them to be digital 3D (or atleast that cool process they use for Futurama and The Simpsons Moviw.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 04:31:34 PM »

Mind elaborating why you hate anime?  Is it just cause most of it is crap (excluding Ghibli and a few great action flicks)?  Or do you have a problem with the actual look of the anime?

It is mostly that much of the anime out there is pure garbage. But I also generally can't stand the style of stoytelling. There seems to be an idea within the anime community that the more complex and incoherent a plot is the better it is. I call bullsh8t on that. I also sometimes have a problem with the animation style itself, but not generally. Usually when I have a problem with the animation its a particularly bad anime where the style appears to come from the artists being lazy. I do question though, why is it that most anime seems to have a single style of art and animation. It's like you could pop a character out of any anime film and put them in another and nobody would notice that the art on that character was not from that film. Even western traditional animation is generally varied greatly from film to film. And if you don't believe me then try to do what I said about exchanging characters between any two Disney films and youll see just how varied the styles are.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 06:12:13 PM »
After watching The Adventures of Prince Achmed, I've come to the conclusion that silhouette animation is pretty awesome.

love