Poll

There can be only one:

Back to the Future
109 (50%)
Die Hard
109 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Author Topic: Random Movie Death Match #13 - Back to the Future vs. Die Hard  (Read 127324 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Random Movie Death Match #13 - Back to the Future vs. Die Hard
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 01:29:37 PM »
plus, unlike the die hard terrorists, the bttf terrorists could actually hit somebody with their machine guns (mainly, chris lloyd)

First of all, they weren't terrorists in Die Hard, they were bank robbers posing as terrorists.  (Amazing how many people still get that wrong.)

2nd, Hans Gruber was really good at hitting Mr. Takagi and Ellis right between the eyes.  Plus he blows up a helicopter full of FBI.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 01:35:07 PM »
Die Hard can't be better than BttF. Die Hard doesn't have Christopher Lloyd and Michael J. Fox. Instant fail.

This isn't about actors.  It's about character.

Die Hard gave us John McClane along with Holly and Little Lucy.  Then there's Al Powell, Argyle, Dept. Chief of Police Dwayne T. Robinson, Reporter Richard Thornburg, Ellis, Special Agents Johnson and Johnson (no relation), Mr. Takagi, Karl, Theo the safecracker and Hans Gruber.  That's without getting into great bit parts like Walt, the city worker who can cut the power and the Convenience Store Clerk. 

Back to the Future gave us Marty, Dc. Brown, George, Lorraine, Biff and I'll even throw in Mr. Strickland, The "Save The Clock Tower" woman and Marvin Berry.

Die Hard wins.  And I didn't even mention the SWAT guy who pricks his hand running through the rose bushes and the great Al Leong as candy bar eating Asian bad guy Uli.  (Also known for playing Endo, dispenser of pain in Lethal Weapon.)

So you're saying that more characters beats totally original, intersting, funny and distinct characters? I'm sorry, but when a movie has a character who's dream is to breed two pines that movie obviously can't be beat. I'm not saying I don't like Die Hard. It's actually one of my favourite movies, but it's just a great action movie. Back to the Future is what I would consider the ultimate entertainment. It has loads of comedy that is intelligent almost totally character-based. It has high-concept sci-fi. It has action. Suspense. Incest. A kick-ass soundtrack of Huey Lewis and music from the 50s. AND it has one of the best scores ever written, let alone ever written for a comedy. Back to the Future is also a film that absolutely anyone no matter of gender or age or politics can enjoy fully. It can't be beat.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 01:43:53 PM »

So you're saying that more characters beats totally original, intersting, funny and distinct characters? I'm sorry, but when a movie has a character who's dream is to breed two pines that movie obviously can't be beat. I'm not saying I don't like Die Hard. It's actually one of my favourite movies, but it's just a great action movie. Back to the Future is what I would consider the ultimate entertainment. It has loads of comedy that is intelligent almost totally character-based. It has high-concept sci-fi. It has action. Suspense. Incest. A kick-ass soundtrack of Huey Lewis and music from the 50s. AND it has one of the best scores ever written, let alone ever written for a comedy. Back to the Future is also a film that absolutely anyone no matter of gender or age or politics can enjoy fully. It can't be beat.

I was naming the many great, unforgettable characters as a rebuttal to your point that Fox and Lloyd give BTTF the edge.

This has been my favorite Death Match so far because BTTF is one of my all time favorite movies.  It's in my Top 50.  But Die Hard is (not kidding) in my Top 5.  It is the Greatest Action Film Ever Made, not simply because of the action but because of the wonderful character dynamics.  In fact there's a lengthy section where there's no action at all and the film never slips.  The characters, writing and direction keep the film working at a supreme level.

Back To The Future is a better version of Zemeckis' prior Romancing The Stone.  But I think he topped himself with his next film, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?.  All of these are 5 star movies.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 03:58:54 PM by 1StrongOpinion »

Think_Long

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 01:46:06 PM »
But I think he topped himself with his next film, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?.  All of these ore 5 star movies.

*cough hack hack hack cough, splutter*

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 01:47:34 PM »
But I think he topped himself with his next film, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?.  All of these ore 5 star movies.

*cough hack hack hack cough, splutter*

He may be a hack, but he still directed one of the best movies ever made. And Roger Rabbit isn't even close to being better than BttF.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2008, 02:27:19 PM »
Hmm, I guess there is Die Hard's weird anti-feminism to consider...

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2008, 02:32:55 PM »
How about we do a mini-death match pitting the Back to the Future sequels against the Die Hard sequels. It's a tough battle, but I'd say because Die Hard 2 and Die Hard 4 suck so so so much Back to the Future trilogy wins that race too.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2008, 02:35:32 PM »
I could never, in good conscience, poll on a Renny Harlin film.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2008, 02:40:24 PM »
Future Random Death Match: Beverly Hills Chihuahua vs. Citizen Kane

I guarantee you BHC will put up a good fight.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2008, 02:59:49 PM »
Future Random Death Match: Beverly Hills Chihuahua vs. Citizen Kane
Hum...how about "no"?
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

love