love

Poll

There can be only one:

Back to the Future
109 (50%)
Die Hard
109 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Author Topic: Random Movie Death Match #13 - Back to the Future vs. Die Hard  (Read 127271 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Random Movie Death Match #13 - Back to the Future vs. Die Hard
« Reply #430 on: June 14, 2010, 10:00:43 PM »
You should watch The Middleman.  In the episode "the clotharian contamination protocol."...

- "the nakatomi protocol" in a further driving home of the theme, the keypad chimes with beethoven's ode to joy, the central musical conceit of "die hard".
- "come out to the coast, we'll have a few laughs" - homage by quote (and lucky lighter use) to john mcclaine in "die hard"
- "great, hans grubered with our own robot" - homage to the villain from "die hard,"
- "great, it's "die hard" in a building"
- "now i have a machine gun - ho-ho-ho"
- "yippi-kay-yay [BLEEP!]"
- "now i know what a tv dinner feels like"
- "welcome to the party, ida" - paraphrase of a quote from "die hard"
- "today john wayne doesn't get to ride off into the sunset with grace kelly" - yet another quote from "die hard"
- the "ode to joy" is reprised again briefly when the pneumatic tube chamber opens, echoing the opening of the nakatomi corporation vault in...wait for it..."die hard!"

- "die hard inside an android" - is a screenwriter's joke referring to the glut of films that followed "die hard," all of which were pitched as "die hard in a -"...like "under siege" (die hard in a battleship) or "air force one" (die hard in air force one) or "toy soldiers" (die hard in a military school) or "executive decision" (die hard in a passenger plane) or "sudden death" (die hard in an arena) or "speed" (die hard in a bus) or "speed 2" (die hard in a cruise ship)

Also an episode of Chuck references Nakotomi Plaza as a real place.

Plus there's this which points up over 200 references in other films and TV shows to Die Hard.

(And, yes, if you look up Back to the Future you'll find an equally long list of references.  I'm afraid this one ends in a draw.)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 10:02:22 PM by 1SO »

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #431 on: June 14, 2010, 10:03:40 PM »
(And, yes, if you look up Back to the Future you'll find an equally long list of references.  I'm afraid this one ends in a draw.)

It's longer, actually. I can get out the measuring tape if you want. ;)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #432 on: June 14, 2010, 10:10:01 PM »

Exactly. And in this case it's not just a reference to a building. It's easy enough to have someone reference the flux capacitor or say "I just don't think I can take that kid of rejection. This is something else entirely. This is a reference to the production history of BttF. Die Hard could never inpire such glorious geekery.

Though Fringe is full of this. Diane Kruger is in the episode I'm watching now, and at one point she's trying to remember someone's name and starts listing off options. One option is "Gorlami". Awesome.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #433 on: June 14, 2010, 10:14:34 PM »

Exactly. And in this case it's not just a reference to a building. It's easy enough to have someone reference the flux capacitor or say "I just don't think I can take that kid of rejection. This is something else entirely. This is a reference to the production history of BttF. Die Hard could never inpire such glorious geekery.

Though Fringe is full of this. Diane Kruger is in the episode I'm watching now, and at one point she's trying to remember someone's name and starts listing off options. One option is "Gorlami". Awesome.

Boondock Saints also has a well-known and (in)famous production history. Doesn't make the movie any better.  ;)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #434 on: June 14, 2010, 10:18:33 PM »

Boondock Saints also has a well-known and (in)famous production history. Doesn't make the movie any better.  ;)

The point isn't the history. It's that the movie is so great it inspires references to not just elements from the film itself, but to it's production as well.

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #435 on: June 14, 2010, 10:52:59 PM »

The point isn't the history. It's that the movie is so great it inspires references to not just elements from the film itself, but to it's production as well.

no the point is that if there were stories in DH there'd be references to them as well - keep CINECAST!ing that chicken though.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #436 on: June 15, 2010, 05:59:09 PM »
Similarly, the reference to Reagan in BttF reinforces the greatness of his presidency.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #437 on: June 15, 2010, 06:06:57 PM »
Similarly, the reference to Reagan in BttF reinforces the greatness of his presidency.

pixote

Similarly, Reagan's quoting of Back to the Future reinforces its greatness as a film.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #438 on: June 16, 2010, 12:54:32 AM »

pixote

Similarly, Reagan's quoting of Back to the Future reinforces its greatness as a film.

And yet Die Hard still leads. The people know what they like.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #439 on: June 16, 2010, 08:24:27 AM »

pixote

And yet Die Hard still leads. The people know what they like.

BttF won the poll on the main site by a huge margin. I suspect BttF will once again take the lead here eventually.