love

Poll

There can be only one:

Back to the Future
109 (50%)
Die Hard
109 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Author Topic: Random Movie Death Match #13 - Back to the Future vs. Die Hard  (Read 127302 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Random Movie Death Match #13 - Back to the Future vs. Die Hard
« Reply #470 on: August 16, 2010, 02:27:06 PM »
Doesn't Bif succeed at the whole sports betting scheme. That's why he's rich and powerful when Marty goes back to the future. No?

Yes, but he doesn't go back in time with future money. He goes back to give the book to his younger self. His younger self then waits till his 21st birthday and bets on races I believe. The point is, it isn't that farfetched an idea to do what Biff did. What this infographic doesn't get at is the very real possibility that Biff's actions could actually changes future sports results and render the almanac useless.

How can someone betting change the result of a sporting matching, well except where those sports matches are corrupt?

Butterfly effect my friend. Biff bets on some sporting events and makes a bunch of money. His making money and spending it and having higher stature in the World can then cause unintended things to happen, which might include the outcomes of certain matches or even whether those matches take place.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #471 on: August 16, 2010, 02:53:20 PM »
Doesn't Bif succeed at the whole sports betting scheme. That's why he's rich and powerful when Marty goes back to the future. No?

Yes, but he doesn't go back in time with future money. He goes back to give the book to his younger self. His younger self then waits till his 21st birthday and bets on races I believe. The point is, it isn't that farfetched an idea to do what Biff did. What this infographic doesn't get at is the very real possibility that Biff's actions could actually changes future sports results and render the almanac useless.

How can someone betting change the result of a sporting matching, well except where those sports matches are corrupt?

Butterfly effect my friend. Biff bets on some sporting events and makes a bunch of money. His making money and spending it and having higher stature in the World can then cause unintended things to happen, which might include the outcomes of certain matches or even whether those matches take place.

Yes the butterfly effect could change a few results, but his almanac covered way more than a few results. It takes a massive belief in the butterfly effect to believe that all result would change. Then again if a few changed and it changed his behaviour (which it would as he would start losing, or not winning as big), it would tend to return to the original timeline. As the trilogy has shown is inclined to happen in the BttF world, matter of fact the film tends to ignore or refute the butterfly effect. For example when Marty knocks down the tree in the first film, the sole world change is the mall goes from the Twin Pines mall to the Lone Pine mall. If it was following the butterfly effect more closely the mall would have changed layout or not been there.
So given the world in the BttF universe, the butterfly effect, provably, is negligible to non-existent.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #472 on: September 19, 2010, 08:13:05 PM »
Yeah, I didn't see Ashton Kutcher in Back to the Future.

Adrienne

« Reply #473 on: September 20, 2010, 06:37:44 AM »
Brucie baby!  :-*
Alan baby!  :-*

mirandasaurus

• I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.
« Reply #474 on: September 20, 2010, 10:14:37 PM »
I finally voted. Back to the Future. Christopher Lloyd is better than no Christopher Lloyd.

I liked your logic :) Back to the Future ftw!
Just keep swimming.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #475 on: September 20, 2010, 10:15:53 PM »
I finally voted. Back to the Future. Christopher Lloyd is better than no Christopher Lloyd.

Nice work, Miranda. :)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #476 on: September 20, 2010, 10:20:54 PM »

I have decided that you are super awesome.  ;D

dallegre

« Reply #477 on: September 27, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »
These are two movies that could be principally described as FUN. Back to the Future is one of the funnest movies I can think of, and as much as I love Die Hard, BttF is a blast to watch.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #478 on: September 27, 2010, 07:41:24 PM »
These are two movies that could be principally described as FUN. Back to the Future is one of the funnest movies I can think of, and as much as I love Die Hard, BttF is a blast to watch.

I approve this message.

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #479 on: September 27, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »

It is a blast, but Die Hard is better.