Poll

Where do you stand on the directing talent of Neil Jordan?

I expect Greatness.
0 (0%)
I hope for Greatness, but am usually satisfied.
0 (0%)
He's worth mentioning, but not as one of the Greats.
3 (20%)
His name on a film doesn't do much for me.
12 (80%)
I avoid his films.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: The Top Directors Working Today: Neil Jordan  (Read 2793 times)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
The Top Directors Working Today: Neil Jordan
« on: July 13, 2008, 11:36:16 PM »
Neil Jordan is another acclaimed director that I'm not personally that fond of, and it's kind of easy to pick on him right now since his last film was The Brave One.  But Jordan has done a very good job at making personal, artistic films; the kind that make you wonder how they ever secured financing.  Films like The Butcher Boy and Breakfast on Pluto are so far out of the mainstream, it's remarkable Hollywood will occasionally back him for his occasional commercial picture.

And while I didn't completely like The Company of Wolves, I also think it's one of the most visually arresting films I've ever seen.  24 years later, its imagery is still deep in my brain.

So I will almost always give Jordan a chance, even though I'm usually unsatisfied by his work.

Do you all have the same mixed feelings, or are you a more vocal supporter?

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
Re: The Top Directors Working Today: Neil Jordan
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 11:39:29 PM »
i liked The Crying Game...at the time.  I've not cared enough to see anything else of his. 
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 12:24:02 AM »
I haven't seen anything by him since Butcher Boy, so I guess by definition his name on a film doesn't do much for me.  That said, Butcher Boy, Michael Collins, and especially Crying Game are all pretty good.  I don't remember Interview with the Vampire too fondly, but Mona Lisa has long been high on my list of things to see.  Though not high enough, evidently.

pixote
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 12:36:57 AM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 01:17:45 AM »
His name on a film doesn't do much for me.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 05:26:47 AM »
His name on a film doesn't do much for me, but for some reason I always end up watching his films (I'm only missing Angel, High Spirits and Miracle). Mona Lisa is the only one I really like.

Ronan

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 05:34:32 AM »
He's very hit & miss, The End Of The Affair and The butcher Boy were excellent though.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 09:26:21 AM »
I feel like I should change my vote to the first option, if only out of respect for face's course schedule...

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 11:22:32 AM »
I feel like I should change my vote to the first option, if only out of respect for face's course schedule...

pixote

yeah, i wonder why that prof thinks jordan is worthwhile to study, merely being the most renowned and prolific irish filmmaker?  of course not, but really, why?  ahhh, academics!
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 11:26:38 AM »
Should I really watch Butcher Boy? The plot description has always put me off. What do you think? 
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 11:29:30 AM »
Should I really watch Butcher Boy? The plot description has always put me off. What do you think? 

I liked it enough to buy the book for $1 at a library sale ... though I still haven't read the book, so who knows.  Hey, maybe that'll be an option in a forthcoming book club poll!

pixote