Author Topic: Top Teasers/Trailers - Best 'whettings'  (Read 8204 times)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Top Teasers/Trailers - Best 'whettings'
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 06:05:28 AM »
Its not a graphic novel its a just a novel, or possibly a novella.  Linklater used this animation format once before in the overrated Waking Life and felt that it would best service the trippy nature of PKD's book.

As for best teaser trailers...

Pearl Harbor - Yes, a sh!tty movie, but the teaser trailer is amazing.  I remember seeing it and thinking that a truely great film had been made.  Unfortunately the movie is nothin like the teaser.

Spider-Man - The teaser for the first Spider-Man film was exillerating.  It was like a mini-comic book adventure.  Guys robbing a bank make their get away in a helicopter that gets snaired by an unseen force that turns out to be Spider-Man.  Amazing.  To bad the movies are crap.

The Day After Tomorrow - Another bad movie with a really great teaser.

more later...
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

wilson1290

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 01:47:08 PM »
The trailer for Lady in the Water is pretty well done also. Im still not sure Ill go see the movie though since im a little weary of seeing another Shyamalan film after the suckfests that were Signs and The Village, the man needs to give up on the twist endings.
And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

kevdo

• http://www.the-frat-pack.com
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 05:38:44 PM »
Quote from: "nougatmachine"
Some off the top of my head:

Adaptation.  Really effective.
Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace.  Yeah, the movie itself is awful, but the trailer made it look great.
Inside Man. I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but I missed this in the theaters despite the Filmspotting (Cinecast?) raves.  I just didn't have time because of wrapping up college. Regardless, the trailer was a very effective hook.

The filmed-in-the-audience bootleg of the Phantom Menace trailer still gives me chills. It was so awesome to hear the crowd cheering and such.

There are parts of Ep1 that I like, and I think it would have been a lot better had Jake Lloyd been able to act whatsoever. A different accent on Jar Jar might have changed perceptions too. So sad...
Kevin Crossman - official Filmspotting nemesis
Sam Van Hallgren Nickname: "Captain Bullseye"
The Frat Pack Tribute at www.The-Frat-Pack.com

choatime

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 11:21:26 PM »
I just saw the trailer for The Bishop's Wife from 1947 (I'll get caught up one of these days.) and I have to say, it's a pretty darn good trailer, I think.  Give it a try http://imdb.com/title/tt0039190/trailers

jimrichards

Re: Top Teasers/Trailers - Best 'whettings'
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 03:08:10 AM »
As filmgoers, many of us consider trailers essential to the experience. True not only in a theater setting, but as bonus material on the DVD for your favorite movie(s), or with the advent of the internet, spreading a link for some great new flick to friends. After getting completely jazzed up by the teaser for Spiderman 3, I started thinking of my favorite trailers - the ones that instantly intrigued me, completely sold me or simply have me reminiscing. How about the ones using scenes never used in the actual film, or ones seemingly unrelated to what they're advertising? I'd love to hear from others. From my top 5:

1. The Shining
2. Most Hitchcock trailers. Case in point
3. The Blair Witch Project
4. Batman!
5. And most appropriate, Comedian

More than trailers i love short clips of scene which are best part of the movies.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 10:01:24 AM »
Hi jimrichards. :)  Do you want to share a few of your favorite scenes?

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 08:33:03 PM »

1. The Shining ...

This would top any list of my all-time favorite trailers. I'm old enough to have seen it in a movie theater before the movie came out, and it was a glorious WTF moment for me.

I never would have seen Brick based on the trailer.  As I think Sam or Adam said, I imaged it was just an overstylized teenager film. I specifically remember thinking, "No way will I see that."  I have since been convinced otherwise.

Yes! That trailer turned me off completely. It took me nearly 10 years to finally watch and appreciate the movie.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 05:04:09 AM »
I have two kinds of favorite trailers - those that have a clever, creative execution, and those that excite me - regardless of whether if the film is actually exciting. I prefer teasers because they are often forced to find creative ways to excite you without showing too much. A badly made teaser is one that would turn me off from watching the film; a good one leaves me with dying anticipation.

Here is my list of favorite trailers:

Honorable Mentions
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
You gotta love the unconventional nature of this teaser, watching the manufacturing process of a T-800.

Batman Begins
After the disastrous Batman & Robin, this promising look at a more psychological-oriented Batman brought an exciting new hope to anguished fans everywhere who've given up on the notion of a serious Batman movie. A Batman that finally embraces the psychological-side of the character in its raw form? It's about time! The best part about this trailer is how it never outright reveals what this movie might be right till the very end, when the Bat-symbol gradually surfaces. Cue roaring applause.

The Avengers: Infinity War
I specifically chose the bootleg version of this trailer (there's another higher quality one edited together) because it contains the screams of the fans as they see the Infinity Gauntlet. There's just something exhilarating cheering at such a revelation, be it foreseeable or not, with other comic book fans, some kind of special bond between geeks that ties us together when we learn that one of the best Marvel comic book arcs is finally coming to the big screen. And best of all, there's a very dramatic pause after the title is revealed... only to tell us that we're going to have TWO parts to Infinity War! We're going to have the epic battle against Thanos for TWO entire movies? I'm not surprised that the crowd went crazy with this.

The Incredibles Fan-Made Trailer
I didn't create this trailer, but it certainly did inspire me to adopt a similar style. Growing up, I loved trailers that raise the stakes dramatically like this, so props up for the well editing of this one.

5. Spider-Man (2002)
At the dawn of 2000, superheroes have began to become a big thing. X-Men established that superheroes can be more than just dumbed down comic book goofiness and gave us a film that felt like a film. However, one of the most popular superheroes next to Batman didn't appear on the scene yet. Then in 2002, this teaser came along.

After thinking about it, I felt that the theatrical cut version of the trailer was more effective. Don't get me wrong though, I love the WTC Spider-Man trailer as it shows some unknown figure webs up some very professional bank robbers who would have me fooled that I'm watching a trailer for a heist movie. That being said, the great thing about teasers like this is that they drop very brief glimpses of amazing images (no pun intended) that would make you want to rewind the video and check your eyesight. When this iconic superhero swung across the big screen, I was elated, being as big of a fanboy as I was. The fact that we saw so little of this impossible dream only made it more tantalizing. It helps that Lunatic Calm's "Leave You Far Behind" was playing in the background, perfectly synchronizing with the adrenaline-fueled high-flying stunts of the web-swinging wonder.

4. Godzilla (1998)
Back in 1997, The Lost World: Jurassic Park was released, and so when this trailer came out, some people might have assumed that this was a trailer for that movie, particularly when there's a recitation of the T-Rex's impressive traits. As a kid, I was in love with this creature's massive built when the first Jurassic Park came out. And the trailer even imitates the famous tremor effect of that franchise. Naturally, the eight year old me would've been excited watching this.

There's a common trend among my favorite trailers, and that's the built-up with the mood and atmosphere. This trailer does it very well. And I love the hilarious irony of the professor's appraisal of "the largest predator to have ever lived on the planet" being turned against him as that gigantic foot stomps down on the king of the dinosaur. Mind-blown. Size does matter indeed.

3. The Mummy (1999)
In older trailers, there was sometimes a narrator summarizing the plot. This can set up a proper mood, like someone telling a story at a campfire, keeping you engaged and intrigued. This trailer improves upon that technique. The narrator gradually builds up the suspense by foretelling the fate of these adventurers in a prophetic manner, as if he's uncovering an omen to come. And upon Jonathan Hyde's warning to stay away from the book, all hell breaks loose. Cue dramatic music that culminates in a climatic revelation, "He will regenerate and will no longer be the undead." "We are in serious trouble." After the choir erupts in a sudden crescendo amidst all the chaos and sending my heart aflutter, the trailer seizes the chance to skyrocket the built-up momentum up to eleven. "Universal Pictures invites you to experience the adventure that will live forever." All the while as this is happening, the choir never stops chanting to the exciting sequence, and there's something about choirs in trailers that makes me feel like there's an epic adventure waiting in this movie.

The entire trailer right up till the end feels very much like having sex. Notice the way it builds up to a climax at the end, and then as the title of the movie is slowly revealed, the choir hymns in a single note like the cries of an orgasm, which pretty much signifies how I felt by the end of it - orgasmic.

2. Tron: Legacy
There's a good two and half decade gap between this film and the original one. The way both long time fans and new audiences are introduced to the visually-stunning universe of Tron is brilliant in this trailer. Like all great teasers, this one begins with a slow build-up teasing the iconic Tron uniform, and before we know it - BAM, the Tron Lightcycle appears in realistic modernized CGI. The universe of Tron we had once dreamed about has finally been brought to life in the 21st Century.

I love how the entire trailer has a very mesmerizing and mystifying atmosphere, all the while maintaining this fantasy world with some very believable visuals that would have me fooled that it's all practical effects. At the end of the thrilling motorcycle chase, we are given yet another treat - Jeff Bridges, reprising his role as both Kevin Flynn and Clu. It's not often that actors reprise their role after this long, so to see an impressive return like this must have gained quite a few gasps in the theater. Best of all, unlike Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, this doesn't seem like a phoned in performance either.

1. Mission: Impossible (1996)
I think it's this kind of trailer that inspired my eventual editing style (as you can see in the "Self-Whoring" thread) - a choreography of rapid images edited over fast-paced music. And the reason I called it a choreography is because the rhythm of this trailer flows smoothly like a dance. A good rhythm in a trailer can attract the audience into following your beat, and their mind would dance along with you. After a suspenseful build-up of silence, a fuse is lit and it's as if someone rammed an injection of adrenaline into me. I'm treated to these incredible, over-the-top events of the plot flashing quickly one after another, and with the added element of Danny Elfman's heart-pounding score racing me along, this trailer doesn't slow down to let me catch my breath - and that's how I like my films. ;D

While the trailer might spoil the entire film for you, and therefore fails as a trailer, it works brilliantly as an exhilarating music sequence. I love this trailer whenever I revisit it, it excites me everytime. It never gets old for me.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 04:04:25 PM »
Beyond the Black Rainbow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ertVYn750
My personal favorite. Those images. That music!

Alien
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ5lPt9edzQ
That sound design! And the best tag line of all-time.

Mad Max: Fury Road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJnMQG9ev8
I was skeptical when I first heard about the Mad Max reboot, and then I was sold when I saw this.

Where the Wild Things Are
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNJPSc_4RCI
Alas, the movie didn't work as well for me as this trailer.

Scream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23jmjs-rMGI
Pretty much a perfect distillation of the film.

Jurassic Park
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWBKEmWWL38
Sells the awe and adventure without showing too much of the dinosaurs, plus that score.

A Serious Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDKHWRbK2_Q
That beat.

Iron Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWWd6p2JHKo
Pretty much a perfect introduction. We get the character. See the origin. And then a few great action shots.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man