love

Author Topic: TV Buzz  (Read 96439 times)

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
Re: TV Buzz
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2008, 08:08:12 PM »
Ditto everybody on Fringe, don't see myself watching it. Did really like John Noble as the mad scientist dad in the two episodes I saw though, if it happens to be on I might flip to it for a couple minutes every once in a while just to see him. But other than that, it's pretty ignorable.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2008, 10:37:48 PM »
Did anyone else watch Heroes? Sometimes that show just downright confuses me.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2008, 11:55:05 PM »
Did anyone else watch Heroes? Sometimes that show just downright confuses me.

Yeah, after last year's disastrous season.  It seems they're trying to go for complexity.  Future Peter.  I don't know but I do like evil Claire.  I'm sorry but I still think Ali Larter sucks as an actress and though Maya wasn't as annoying this time around.  She still sucks as a character.  Elle got fired.  Boo though she stopped Sylar and let go a bunch of dangerous people. 

Hiro is still my boy.  He's what keeps me watching the show. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2008, 12:20:18 AM »
There was some really awful dialogue, including that one line about "you should've used a Sprint phone".

I'm with you on Hiro, he and Ando inject some much needed humor into a dangerously serious show.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2008, 11:41:33 PM »
Heroes is garbage. Unfortunately it took me all the way to the first season finale to realize it. That's 18 hours of my life wasted. Heroes tries desperately to be as complex and fascinating as Lost, but it fails miserably. It is impossible to connect with nearly any of the characters on Heroes, so that nixes any real emotional involvement. All that's left is the complexity of the mythology which, if the season one finale was any indication, clearly isn't thought out very well.

Just look at the way Heroes dealt with time and time travel. Compare it to the deft handling of time travel in Lost. In Heroes time travel seems to be there for no other reason than to over-complicate the plot. If Hiro can move through space and time the way he clearly can then there shouldn't be any threat from the villains. Not that you care if there is a threat because personally I'd rather see the characters die. Meanwhile, season 4 of Lost gave us the Desmond-centric episode The Constant in which time travel was explored as both a concept and a way to expand the scope of the plot and the storytelling. It also allowed for one of the most intense and emotionally draining/satisfying hours of television all year (or in a number of years for that matter.)

Heroes simply cannot do that. Unnecessarily complex plot mixed with unlikeable characters and poor writing in general make for a bad show. I can't understand why people still watch it. Especially after hearing how bad last season was.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Think_Long

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2008, 08:14:29 AM »
the first few episodes of heroes were really strong and interesting, which was enough to motivate me to finish the season. now my motivation has dried up.  the same thing happened to me with lost.  it always seems like they choose to add more characters rather than add more plot. what's the central cast # up to now? 38? 55?

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2008, 09:21:34 AM »
How far along did you keep up with Lost? Because if you can muscle your way through the sub-standard second season and past the mostly boring first 7 episodes of season 3 then I think you'd be rewarded with some of the best television ever produced.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2008, 03:34:32 PM »

Just look at the way Heroes dealt with time and time travel. Compare it to the deft handling of time travel in Lost. In Heroes time travel seems to be there for no other reason than to over-complicate the plot. If Hiro can move through space and time the way he clearly can then there shouldn't be any threat from the villains. Not that you care if there is a threat because personally I'd rather see the characters die. Meanwhile, season 4 of Lost gave us the Desmond-centric episode The Constant in which time travel was explored as both a concept and a way to expand the scope of the plot and the storytelling. It also allowed for one of the most intense and emotionally draining/satisfying hours of television all year (or in a number of years for that matter.)

Not to mention in Lost there seem to be rules set up for time travel, rules in a physics sense, and the writers follow them. With Heroes there are still rules, but they only apply when it's convenient. The whole crux of season 3 is an example of this, with Peter traveling back to the present to change the future. Wasn't there an episode in season 1 where Hiro tried to do this, but couldn't? Plus, Heroes lends itself to so many paradoxes it would make John Connor blush, whereas Lost avoids them pretty well.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

choatime

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2008, 10:18:22 PM »
I'll be the one to rise in defense of Fringe.  It is ridiculous, but I find myself laughing with it, not at it.  In both Alias and Lost, there's this giddy sillyness at the macroscopic plot level, but deadly seriousness at the small scale things.  Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. 

And I have to think the production staff is regreting the decision to go with those floating 3D titles to tell us where we are. 

The thing that really irritates me about Heroes is the marketing.  It makes me question if there actually is a huge rabid fanbase or just some massive media hoax.  They had a red carpet premiere for the new season?  Can't they just let the show be?   If we try hard enough, we just might be able to create a new catch phrase.  There is some stuff I really like in the show (haven't seen the new episode yet) but all too often things start out interesting, but then don't really work out.   I kinda like the idea that a character would spend a large chunk of the season in feudal Japan.  Did it work?  No.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2008, 10:25:47 PM »
I'll be the one to rise in defense of Fringe.  It is ridiculous, but I find myself laughing with it, not at it.  In both Alias and Lost, there's this giddy sillyness at the macroscopic plot level, but deadly seriousness at the small scale things.  Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. 

And I have to think the production staff is regreting the decision to go with those floating 3D titles to tell us where we are. 

I totally agree. It's silly on purpose and good at it. John Noble is awesome.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”