love

Author Topic: TV Buzz  (Read 96455 times)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: TV Buzz
« Reply #260 on: January 11, 2010, 05:46:08 PM »
I think Patton summed it up nicely re: Leno.  The guy has this time slot that he does absolutely nothing with.  Everything is absolutely as bland as can be.  Even though Conan has toned down a bit, his Tonight Show is a billion times more adventerous than it was with Jay.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #261 on: January 11, 2010, 05:48:37 PM »
I don't watch these shows unless someone I like is being interviewed and I hear about it enough in advance to plan accordingly, ala Michael Cera. Saw Japandroids on Fallon that night Cera was on Letterman though, which was cool. Are the musical guests usually so pleasing?

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #262 on: January 11, 2010, 05:52:08 PM »
Are the musical guests usually so pleasing?

Depends. Most musical guests sound pretty mediocre, mostly due to the surroundings.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #263 on: January 11, 2010, 05:58:01 PM »
Are the musical guests usually so pleasing?

Depends. Most musical guests sound pretty mediocre, mostly due to the surroundings.

As long as I can hear the words I don't care what they sound like, just if I like them.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #264 on: January 11, 2010, 09:55:27 PM »
I would love to see someone recreate a 70s style talk show, where it isn't merely about who has a TV show/movie/book to promote, it was about putting people together and bouncing them off each other.  Often substance-enhanced.  I think talk shows became lamer once they started bringing on one guest, solo, then the next.  I always liked the Mike Douglas set up where each guest got his face time with Mike then moved down a chair for the next one to come in, and everyone would all kibbitz.  And the people who were fun kibbitzers (or entertainingly f-ed up) came back again and again.

And I wish talk shows in general would cast a wider net--Harlan Ellison used to be a regular talk show guest in the 70s.  Can you imagine any science fiction or fantasy author getting on a talk show now? 

As for Leno, I've never liked him at all.  He should just take his gazillions from the last 20 years and retire with some dignity left.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #265 on: January 11, 2010, 09:58:21 PM »
I would love to see someone recreate a 70s style talk show, where it isn't merely about who has a TV show/movie/book to promote, it was about putting people together and bouncing them off each other.  Often substance-enhanced.  I think talk shows became lamer once they started bringing on one guest, solo, then the next.  I always liked the Mike Douglas set up where each guest got his face time with Mike then moved down a chair for the next one to come in, and everyone would all kibbitz.  And the people who were fun kibbitzers (or entertainingly f-ed up) came back again and again.

And I wish talk shows in general would cast a wider net--Harlan Ellison used to be a regular talk show guest in the 70s.  Can you imagine any science fiction or fantasy author getting on a talk show now? 

As for Leno, I've never liked him at all.  He should just take his gazillions from the last 20 years and retire with some dignity left.

I am totally picturing Colleen with a fake talk show set in her apartment like that great Seinfeld episode.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #266 on: January 11, 2010, 10:10:24 PM »

I am totally picturing Colleen with a fake talk show set in her apartment like that great Seinfeld episode.

I couldn't do it; I just want to watch it.

Marbe

• Elite Member
« Reply #267 on: January 11, 2010, 10:25:22 PM »
FOX is sort of teasing that they'll make a move for Conan.

Evidently they will be mixing things up at FOX anyways.

I say the next headline will be "NBC fires Jeff Gaspin" within this month or next.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #268 on: January 12, 2010, 02:26:40 PM »
Conan O'Brien Says He Won't Do 'Tonight Show' Following Leno

NBC's Conan O'Brien released a statement on Monday saying
that he would not do "The Tonight Show" if it airs at 12:05
a.m.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI