love

Author Topic: TV Buzz  (Read 96502 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: TV Buzz
« Reply #360 on: January 23, 2010, 12:41:08 PM »
pretty tasteless to spend 500 thousand bucks to play 9 seconds of a Beatles song for Hanks introduction on the same night a Haiti telethon is running.

I don't understand.

it's not complicated.

Is it true, and if so, it sounds like some kind of accident. I highly doubt Conan or anyone on the show would actually do something like that on purpose.

Also, bad crap happens all the time and that should change how a TV show spends it's money.

Also, quit being such a negative Nancy.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #361 on: January 30, 2010, 12:55:19 PM »
About to be fist pumping all summer long!

Is it really Jersey Shore if they are not in New Jersey though?

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #362 on: February 03, 2010, 05:59:32 PM »
Although I did go see Letterman live once which was pretty fun.
What was the top 10?
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #363 on: February 03, 2010, 06:00:59 PM »
What was the top 10?

It was 2001 I cant remember. Cool thing is its free to go just have to book early.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #364 on: February 03, 2010, 06:03:38 PM »
What was the top 10?
It was 2001 I cant remember. Cool thing is its free to go just have to book early.
Yeah, I think most talk shows are free. I was in New York when I was 15 and I desperately wanted to go to SNL or Letterman, but both shows were on hiatus that week. matt the tv watcher was crushed.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #365 on: February 05, 2010, 11:59:46 AM »
heh, Al Franken's opening statement on the Senate Judicial Committe's hearing (starring Jeff Zucher) over the UNBC/Comcast merger:

Quote from: Al Franken
Thank you, Senator Kohl, for giving me an opportunity to speak. As some of you may know, I’m not a lawyer, but I used to be in show business. In fact, I worked for NBC for many years. And what I know from my previous career has given me reason to be concerned—let me rephrase that, very concerned—about the potential merger of Comcast and NBC Universal.

Let me start with something pretty basic: it matters who runs our media companies. The media are our source of entertainment, but they’re also the way we get our information about the world. So when the same company produces the programs and runs the pipes that bring us those programs, we have a reason to be nervous.

I was at NBC in the 1990s, when Financial Interest and Syndication rules—more commonly known as Fin-Syn--were relaxed and then essentially eliminated. Until then, Fin-Syn rules had prevented networks from owning more than a very small portion of the programs they aired. This was to prevent an inherent conflict of interest.

At that time, NBC executives testified that gutting Fin-Syn would not lead the network to favor its own programming. To the contrary, the NBC President declared, “It is in our self-interest to do everything we can to promote a strong independent production community.”

But by 1992, NBC was the single largest supplier of its own prime-time programming. Today, if an independent producer wants to get its show on a network’s schedule, it’s a routine practice for the network to demand at least part ownership of the show. This is completely contrary to what NBC and the other networks said they would do when they were trying to get Fin-Syn rescinded.

So while I commend NBCU and Comcast for making voluntary commitments as part of this merger, you’ll have to excuse me if I don’t just trust their promises.

To make matters worse, after Fin-Syn, studios started buying up networks—Disney bought ABC, and Viacom, which owns Paramount, bought CBS. I’m worried that this merger could set off another round of media consolidation. The next thing we know, AT&T and Verizon may decide that they also have to buy a Hollywood studio in order to compete. And that would hurt the ability of Minnesotans—and people around the country—to get access to important information and it will make their cable bills go up.

I look forward to hearing today’s testimony, and the opportunity to discuss some of these important issues in more depth. Thank you.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #366 on: February 05, 2010, 12:09:43 PM »
heh, Al Franken's opening statement on the Senate Judicial Committe's hearing (starring Jeff Zucher) over the UNBC/Comcast merger:

Thank you, Senator Kohl, for giving me an opportunity to speak. As some of you may know, I’m not a lawyer, but I used to be in show business. In fact, I worked for NBC for many years. And what I know from my previous career has given me reason to be concerned—let me rephrase that, very concerned—about the potential merger of Comcast and NBC Universal.

Let me start with something pretty basic: it matters who runs our media companies. The media are our source of entertainment, but they’re also the way we get our information about the world. So when the same company produces the programs and runs the pipes that bring us those programs, we have a reason to be nervous.

I was at NBC in the 1990s, when Financial Interest and Syndication rules—more commonly known as Fin-Syn--were relaxed and then essentially eliminated. Until then, Fin-Syn rules had prevented networks from owning more than a very small portion of the programs they aired. This was to prevent an inherent conflict of interest.

At that time, NBC executives testified that gutting Fin-Syn would not lead the network to favor its own programming. To the contrary, the NBC President declared, “It is in our self-interest to do everything we can to promote a strong independent production community.”

But by 1992, NBC was the single largest supplier of its own prime-time programming. Today, if an independent producer wants to get its show on a network’s schedule, it’s a routine practice for the network to demand at least part ownership of the show. This is completely contrary to what NBC and the other networks said they would do when they were trying to get Fin-Syn rescinded.

So while I commend NBCU and Comcast for making voluntary commitments as part of this merger, you’ll have to excuse me if I don’t just trust their promises.

To make matters worse, after Fin-Syn, studios started buying up networks—Disney bought ABC, and Viacom, which owns Paramount, bought CBS. I’m worried that this merger could set off another round of media consolidation. The next thing we know, AT&T and Verizon may decide that they also have to buy a Hollywood studio in order to compete. And that would hurt the ability of Minnesotans—and people around the country—to get access to important information and it will make their cable bills go up.

I look forward to hearing today’s testimony, and the opportunity to discuss some of these important issues in more depth. Thank you.

I know it's fashionable to bash Al Franken but the more I see and read from him, the more I like him.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #367 on: February 05, 2010, 03:47:30 PM »
Al Franken is great.  Why would anyone bash him?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #368 on: February 05, 2010, 03:50:34 PM »
Al Franken is great.  Why would anyone bash him?

I guess being in law enforcement, and living in the deep south, I hear a lot more of the right wing and far right wing stuff.  But the basic take on him, regardless of what he actually says or does, is that he's a leftie moonbat who writes nasty books about Our Heroes, and since the election was close, he probably stole it using ACORN.  But certainly as a former TV entertainer, is and will always be worthless as a Senator.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #369 on: February 05, 2010, 04:16:19 PM »

I will be stealing this to talk about in my Politics of Pop Culture class. It just fascinates me that theoretically someday every media will be owned by one person.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd