Author Topic: movie dictator club  (Read 99110 times)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
movie dictator club
« on: July 15, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
The idea is similar to the new(ish) donation prompt for Adam and Matty - you get to spread the love for a film of your choice to another filmspotter.  The difference is, instead of offering three choices, you will only offer one and the other person is morally obligated to watch that film  ;)

I am currently collecting names either on this thread or through PMs.  In the next few days I will randomly match everyone interested  and post the exchanges.  From there, it is up to the giver to decide which film to assign to their buddy - will you have them watch your favorite?  Something obscure?  Fashionably unfashionable?  Research their history a bit and introduce them to something you think they'd like?  Try to expand their horizons?  It's up to you, but do be mindful of how accessible the film will be to this other person (if you feel strongly enough about a hard-to-find item, you can always offer to lend your copy to them).  It might be nice to write something about why you chose this film for your buddy, and once the film has been experienced to reciprocate and share your thoughts.

To make the exchange work, I'm going to request that people make a good faith effort to watch their assigned films within two weeks of getting notice.  This way, it won't be just another film you are going to eventually get around to - we all have hundreds of them.  Also, I am hoping we can get this going on a monthly rotation, so we can get new opportunities to suggest films to other folks.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 12:02:50 PM by skjerva »
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Movie Exchange
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:30:05 PM »
I'm confused, I think.  Would we just be trading honor-bound recommendations, or actually sending DVDs around to each other as gifts?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 11:37:04 AM »

honor-bound recommendations
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 11:37:45 AM »
I'm open to that.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 11:39:34 AM »
Sounds interesting...what if the recipient has already seen the suggested film? 
Texan Down Under

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 11:43:26 AM »
Sounds interesting...what if the recipient has already seen the suggested film? 

i reckon it would be an opportunity to revisit it, perhaps to think about it in a different way or merely refresh

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 11:44:35 AM »
Or maybe we could go the After Hours podcast route (I think) and give the person a choice of three films...?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 12:02:35 PM »
Yeah, this sounds like fun. But a choice of 3 would be nice.
A$AP Fables

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 12:20:46 PM »
I like Jon's idea - the recommendation needs to come with a heartfelt explanation of why this film is so important though.
Hey, nice marmot!

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 12:33:15 PM »
the recommendation needs to come with a heartfelt explanation of why this film is so important though.

i agree that there ought to be some context for the choice.  while i think suggesting three films is okay, it seems like it takes some of the urgency and specificity away from the gifted film.  offering three films becomes more like the typical board banter of "you ought to see this", instead of something a bit more intimate.