love

Author Topic: Filmspotters Top 100 Movies Comments  (Read 112441 times)

worm@work

• Godfather
Re: Filmspotters Top 100 Movies Comments
« Reply #820 on: June 16, 2009, 10:55:13 AM »
I'm really looking forward to expanding my Top 20 to a Top 100 — just to see what it'll look like.

Me too.  Now I don't feel like I need to limit it to 1 film per director.

Yep, me too. I find ranking extremely tough, so it's going to be hard work but I'm really excited about seeing everyone's expanded lists.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #821 on: June 16, 2009, 11:03:04 AM »
I'm really looking forward to expanding my Top 20 to a Top 100 — just to see what it'll look like.

Me too.  Now I don't feel like I need to limit it to 1 film per director.

Yep, me too. I find ranking extremely tough, so it's going to be hard work but I'm really excited about seeing everyone's expanded lists.

Well, it helps that a #31 film is the same as a #39 film so you really only have to worry about breaking them into tiers.  I'll probably just end up pulling my top 100 on criticker and then doing some fine-tuning.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #822 on: June 16, 2009, 11:10:12 AM »
There is no way I'm going to able to compile a top 100 list. I'm barely able to come up with a top ten.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #823 on: June 16, 2009, 11:30:22 AM »
There is no way I'm going to able to compile a top 100 list. I'm barely able to come up with a top ten.

I predict a black market will form where people can sell unused slots of their top 100 ballot, so don't sweat it ;)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #824 on: June 16, 2009, 11:46:01 AM »

I predict a black market will form where people can sell unused slots of their top 100 ballot, so don't sweat it ;)

i do need the money.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #825 on: June 16, 2009, 11:54:22 AM »

don't worry about it, a ballot with 1 movie is equally as important as a ballot with 100

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #826 on: June 16, 2009, 11:56:08 AM »

don't worry about it, a ballot with 1 movie is equally as important as a ballot with 100

I still need the money.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #827 on: July 01, 2009, 11:18:46 PM »
I think compiling a Top 50 balances the need for a sufficient selection of movies, without scaring away too many people. In addition, a Top 100 unfairly punishes all the great movies that people haven't seen yet - I have so many on my "to watch" list that I am reasonably sure would be in my Top 20 let alone my Top 100. Having to award them 0 votes when I am giving say 80 movies (instead of 30) a vote before them is a bit harsh.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #828 on: July 07, 2009, 04:27:49 PM »
I think compiling a Top 50 balances the need for a sufficient selection of movies, without scaring away too many people. In addition, a Top 100 unfairly punishes all the great movies that people haven't seen yet - I have so many on my "to watch" list that I am reasonably sure would be in my Top 20 let alone my Top 100. Having to award them 0 votes when I am giving say 80 movies (instead of 30) a vote before them is a bit harsh.

I agree with you, but isn't that the problem with any list based on voting?  We are mixing up all the people who haven't seen great movies with some who have, and everyone gets an equal vote.  It may seem unfair, but unless we are going to go for an elitist choosing ("you can't vote unless you've seen at least 50 foreign films..."), that's just what we have to live with.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #829 on: August 01, 2009, 02:24:01 AM »
I just started this challenging task tonight. I started with my flickchart list then hit up Netflix and IMDB making sure none of my favorites got left behind.  I'm first going through an easy pass and including any movie that I think deserves top 100.  Right now that list stands at 153.  So I have to make 53 tough choices.  The absolute must list stands at 60, so there are 40 in limbo.  I guess I'll leave that for tomorrow.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

love