love

Author Topic: Mad Men  (Read 50293 times)

aidanbrack

Re: Mad Men
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 03:58:16 AM »
This became one of my favourite shows in a long time this year. The visual style is beautiful and I felt that the characters are well drawn.

It surprised me how funny the show can be. I'd give examples but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. That said, it is slow-paced and one of the few shows that is better watched in spread out installments rather than in a marathon binge-fest (which is how I saw it the first time). You appreciate its little quirks and moments of brilliance more that way I think.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 12:12:26 AM »
I am watching the first season on DVD right now

i'm only two episodes in, prolly watch another tonight.  not in love with it yet, not even much in like

I liked the first couple episodes but I think it jumps to a whole different level of goodness in the second half of the first season.

It's been mentioned before but January Jones is really great and should get just as much notice as Jon Hamm (who is also fantastic).

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 05:17:01 AM »
I liked the first couple episodes but I think it jumps to a whole different level of goodness in the second half of the first season.

It's been mentioned before but January Jones is really great and should get just as much notice as Jon Hamm (who is also fantastic).
I wholeheartedly agree.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 12:47:14 PM »
It's definitely a slow burn show, but it does suck you in.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 11:12:31 AM »
You lucky bastards! No idea when us Ukers will get to see Season 2, but... no spoilers, please. It's such a great show that it turns me momentarily gay - man crush on Donald; admiration for the women's fab 1950s clothes.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 12:23:45 PM »
I just got the 2nd DVD from Netflix.  It is very good so far but I'm more drawn in by the portrayal of the mores of the time period than the characters at this point.  Every episode so far (3 in all) has had a couple of mouth-dropping-open-god-i'm-glad-i-live-now-not-then moments (as well as ones that make me giggle, like the little girl running around with a plastic bag draped over her from head to foot and the mother being more alarmed at the idea of the dry cleaning on the floor than the kid suffocating...)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 11:34:01 AM »
Anybody keeping up with Season 2?  How do you think it is going so far?  Make sure to cover up spoilers. Like pix suggested, yellow on yellow.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 12:13:53 PM »
Pretty much the same as with season 1, meaning off to a slow start. I can't really tell yet where everything's going but I'm entertained. I do think that it looks better than season 1 though.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 10:48:04 AM »
I just realized that Don's new secretary is the Juno character in Disaster Movie. Talk about working opposite ends of the quality spectrum.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 11:45:41 PM »
I just realized that Don's new secretary is the Juno character in Disaster Movie. Talk about working opposite ends of the quality spectrum.

Holy crap. No kidding! She's great on Mad Men.

The latest episode (season 2, episode 8) was mesmerizing by the way.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 10:29:17 AM by pixote »
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

love