love

Author Topic: Should the Animation Marathon option win out...  (Read 15443 times)

Reaver

Should the Animation Marathon option win out...
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 04:08:10 PM »
I ordered them so that more action-y films would be followed by a dramatic one, and where the strangest film, Akira, wasn't their first experience. They should work up to that.  :P  Plus, they will end the marathon on the best of them all.

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 05:41:17 AM »
I personally would replace "Millennium Actress" with "Perfect Blue", because it's much more interresting, and I would would like a Review of "My Neighbor Totoro" by Holden... also if you want to go for weird and great: Masaaki Yuasa's "Mind Game" ... and finally if you could squeeze in Don Hertzfeldt's short "Rejected" and some shorts by Phil Mulloy, that would be nice too...

annette_not_the_actress

• WE ARE WATCHING FOX!
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 08:41:38 PM »
Quote from: "Reaver"
After speaking with some friends, here is the list we put together. I've limited it to six films, and I'll list them in the order that I think you should watch them should you decide to make it an all anime marathon:

Ghost In The Shell
Millennium Actress
Ninja Scroll
Spirited Away
Akira
Grave Of The Fireflies

There were plenty of other titles we could have included, but those six represent a broad look into the world of anime and I think would serve as a great introduction. But, be warned, when you go to check Ghost In The Shell and Ninja Scroll out in Netflix there are also on-going television series for those films, so don't get confused and rent the TV shows by mistake.

Anyway, I hope all that helps.

I would like to throw into the mix as well an anime film simply called "X". Has anyone ever see this movie before besides me?

Still getting the hang of the place
Annette

Goodyerin

• Steady Diet of Film
Anime fanatics!
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 08:55:20 PM »
I was wondering why so many people had voted for Animation for the next marathon.  I was thinking... "Like Charlotte's Web?  Who cares?"

I don't know much about anime (I voted for Cassavetes) but it'll be interesting to see what Adam & Sam (who also don't seem to know much about it) have to say about the films.

annette_not_the_actress

• WE ARE WATCHING FOX!
Re: Anime fanatics!
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 10:52:56 PM »
Quote from: "Goodyerin"
I was wondering why so many people had voted for Animation for the next marathon.  I was thinking... "Like Charlotte's Web?  Who cares?"

I don't know much about anime (I voted for Cassavetes) but it'll be interesting to see what Adam & Sam (who also don't seem to know much about it) have to say about the films.

If I were Sam and Adam I would have Anime, really on it's own list. American animated films are built more for kids and Japanese anime films are more for adults or are for everyone who wants to watch them.

Annette

StandAloneMatt

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 12:36:26 PM »
Most of the masterpieces of American Animation are films that most everyone has seen - the Pixar films, the Disney films, etc.  With the exception of the Iron Giant maybe - a real overlooked gem.

Also could see adding "The Triplettes of Belleville" to give it a more international flavor to the list - as opposed to strictly Anime.

Although I would be for a total anime list.

Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress are both worthy, but deal with a lot of the same themes - fractured identity and and dealing with celebrity.  I enjoyed both of the films so either choice would be fine - With so few films in a marathon it might not be worth putting both of these.  Although some of these films are so short you might be able to double up on some of them.

StandAloneMatt

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 12:39:28 PM »
I do wonder what Sam and Adam's experience with Anime is.  If its a genre that neither of them have explored - then its totally worthwhile for them to do a anime marathon.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 05:34:40 PM »
Our experience is basically zero. I'm sure we'll have a ton of insight to share. (No, I'm not nervous at all.)
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Khasch

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 05:56:45 PM »
I made an account just to suggest anime films

Akira
Steamboy
Tokyo Godfathers
Spirited Away
Mononoke-hime
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies

directorscut

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 04:09:45 PM »
METROPOLIS is one of the most striking, involving and downright moving animes of recent years.

And it has the endorsement of one James Cameron - “Images from this film will stay with you forever.”