love

Author Topic: Should the Animation Marathon option win out...  (Read 15436 times)

Reaver

Should the Animation Marathon option win out...
« on: July 04, 2006, 12:31:20 PM »
... how exactly are you going to do it? Meaning, are you going to watch an example of animation for different regions of the world, or are you going to focus on just one? Also, are you going to include both CGI animation and hand drawn, or just one? I'm curious to see how you will decide to handle it.

Be that as it may, if you're looking for some suggestions, I have a few. First off, you will HAVE to have a healthy selection of asian animation, as it is really the best of what is available today outside of Pixar. Disney? Recently? Fuggedaboutit. I would suggest you attempt to view at least a few of the following anime films:

Akira
Spirited Away
Millennium Actress
The Wings of Honneamise
Grave Of The Fireflies
Ghost In The Shell (both 1 and 2)

Anyway, just some questions and suggestions.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 02:24:27 PM »
Thanks! Disney and Pixar, no? Anime will be a big part of it, I'm sure. Hell, it might become an Anime Marathon.

Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away...

I wouldn't mind putting the Iron Giant in there as well.

This will be one that our listeners will definitely play a major role in deciding the lineup... because we are clueless.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Reaver

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 06:38:03 PM »
As for whether or not Disney and Pixar should be involved depends on how far back you want to go, and if computer generated movies should be included. I can't answers those for you. But, depending on how you want to do it, I can of course give advice. Disney films such as Fantasia, Snow White, Cinderella, and The Little Mermaid would all be great films to watch and perhaps revisit.

Oh, and you dropped Millennium Actress and Grave Of The Fireflies from the list I gave. Don't. Both are magnificent films, and I think you would love them. They are not your typical animated movies, in that they deal with very real stories in very real worlds. I cannot recommend them enough. I think an all anime marathon would be a good idea, as there are so many worthy films in the genre.

Your friend in film,

Reaver (Justin from Fort Worth)

Iko

• http://www.eileene.net
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 08:54:38 PM »
I'd agree with Akira and, from Studio Ghibli, I'd take Grave of the Fireflies (an amazing film; there's something about the separation that comes with animation, even when dealing with real subjects and situations, that both detaches us and makes us put ourselves in the protagonists' shoes) and either Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke) or Spirited Away (I like Mononoke because it's nice to look at the film from the perspective of 'there are no bad guys, just people trying to live out their existances either with or against nature... people trying to survive'... plus Neil Gaiman wrote the adaptation). My favorite Ghibli films are Porco Rosso and The Castle of Cagliostro, but there isn't much meat to either of them except for a ripping good yarn (the former's animation is beautiful and the latter is one of the best English dubs I've ever heard).  It depends on how you do want to approach animation since there really is a huge selection.

Iron Giant was a film that didn't receive enough kudos when it came out.  It was a very heartwarming story with pretty good voice acting and animation.  I don't cry much at films, but I teared up during the "Superman" line.

If you're going for weird, check out Bill Plympton's I Married a Strange Person.

My husband and I also really liked Tokyo Godfathers.  I liked how the plot threads interacted with each other in the story; it's full of sadness, beauty, and hope.

Looking outside both Asia and the US, I'd recommend a gander at The Triplets of Belleville, which is the type of movie that you can find yourself dancing out of the theater to it's joyfulness.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the old Fantasia with the new one.

StandAloneMatt

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 10:06:16 AM »
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

All classic choices - but I think you must watch

Grave of the Fireflies and maybe My Neighbor Totoro (another great Miyazaki - in fact Miyazaki could be a marathon)

Iron Giant is another great film.

Grave of the Fireflies is a must, not only a great animated film, but a criminally underseen film - one of the few that I have felt that everyone should be required to watch

Reaver

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 10:11:23 AM »
After speaking with some friends, here is the list we put together. I've limited it to six films, and I'll list them in the order that I think you should watch them should you decide to make it an all anime marathon:

Ghost In The Shell
Millennium Actress
Ninja Scroll
Spirited Away
Akira
Grave Of The Fireflies

There were plenty of other titles we could have included, but those six represent a broad look into the world of anime and I think would serve as a great introduction. But, be warned, when you go to check Ghost In The Shell and Ninja Scroll out in Netflix there are also on-going television series for those films, so don't get confused and rent the TV shows by mistake.

Anyway, I hope all that helps.

StandAloneMatt

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 10:21:39 AM »
For those who might not be familiar with "Grave of the Fireflies" - here is Ebert's review in his "Great Movies" series

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20000319/REVIEWS08/3190301/1023

some quotes for those who fear being spoiled

""Grave of the Fireflies" is an emotional experience so powerful that it forces a rethinking of animation. Since the earliest days, most animated films have been "cartoons" for children and families. Recent animated features such as "The Lion King," "Princess Mononoke" and "The Iron Giant" have touched on more serious themes, and the "Toy Story" movies and classics like "Bambi" have had moments that moved some audience members to tears. But these films exist within safe confines; they inspire tears, but not grief. "Grave of the Fireflies" is a powerful dramatic film that happens to be animated, and I know what the critic Ernest Rister means when he compares it to "Schindler's List" and says, "It is the most profoundly human animated film I've ever seen.""

"Because it is animated and from Japan, "Grave of the Fireflies" has been little seen. When anime fans say how good the film is, nobody takes them seriously. Now that it's available on DVD with a choice of subtitles or English dubbing, maybe it will find the attention it deserves. Yes, it's a cartoon, and the kids have eyes like saucers, but it belongs on any list of the greatest war films ever made."

nougatmachine

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 10:46:00 AM »
I'd definitely urge you to give more priority to Grave of the Fireflies than Ghost in the Shell, but that's just me...

StandAloneMatt

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 11:47:47 AM »
I think Ghost in the Shell is also a worthy adition.  Its cyberpunk-philosophical contents really represent a important chunk of all anime.  Its influence on "The Matrix" is also cinematically important, becuase "The Matrix" influenced so many films that came after.

Iko

• http://www.eileene.net
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 12:18:29 PM »
There could also be value in ordering the films in release date order, just to maybe discuss the progression of quality (or not) that comes about with new technology and possible influences that non-animated films have on animated ones (and vice versa).