Author Topic: FYC 2008: Best Cinematography  (Read 46213 times)

duder

• Elite Member
Re: FYC 2008: Best Cinematography
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 10:14:41 PM »
See I see animation as the process of making the objects and characters move so the lighting and camerawork falls under a different category. Its just like there is cinematography and digital cinematography, why not computer generated cinematography?

FWIW, I think they call it Virtual Cinematography.

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 10:15:20 PM »
See I see animation as the process of making the objects and characters move so the lighting and camerawork falls under a different category. Its just like there is cinematography and digital cinematography, why not computer generated cinematography?

FWIW, I think they call it Virtual Cinematography.

And it falls under Visual Effects, for me.
A$AP Fables

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 10:16:33 PM »

cuz there's no tography?

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
But then by that token it shouldn't go in the same category as the amazing special effects work as seen in The Dark Knight. Damn animation, always trying to be different and cause trouble.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 12:48:26 AM »
My Top 10 so far (with apologies to those that have already been seconded...)

1. My Blueberry Nights
2. The Fall
3. The Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Wall-E
6. Cloverfield
7. Wanted
8. Leatherheads
9. 21
10. Hellboy II

In regards to the great Wall-E debate, cinematography is simply the image on film no matter how it was created.  It is the look, the use of light, framing, composition and camera move.  It's not about the challenge of manipulating existing light to create an image.  Remember, nearly every film gets a pass in the computer where colors and other details are digitally changed.  (Pull out your Se7en DVD and learn.)  What matters is the final image.  Wall-E doesn't have an unfair advantage because it's digital.  (Or else how come nobody's pushing for Kung Fu Panda.)  Wall-E's look was created through the process of numerous artistic decision, and certainly merits consideration for the final product.

And I can't believe I'm the first one to mention The Fall.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 12:50:51 AM by 1StrongOpinion »

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 01:04:36 AM »
see that's where i disagree - its cinematography is the art of capturing images on film through a camera not the image itself.

also since there is no credited cinematographer on the film how can it be in this category? sure Deakins consulted but that's not the same.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 01:45:49 AM »
1. My Blueberry Nights
2. The Fall
3. The Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Wall-E
6. Cloverfield
7. Wanted
8. Leatherheads
9. 21
10. Hellboy II

I'll add the first five to the front page (the ones that aren't already there); I figure the bottom five can't really be under consideration since there won't be that many spots on the ballot.  :)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2008, 01:52:42 AM »
Silent Light = whoa

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 09:24:28 AM »
see that's where i disagree - its cinematography is the art of capturing images on film through a camera not the image itself.

Correct.
A$AP Fables

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 12:04:31 PM »

Correct.

Except I think that the definition is changing. The definition was set to involve images captured by a camera because when people came up with it that was the only way to achieve a motion picture. Now that this is changing with digital cameras (which don't use film) and computer generated graphics. And if it is the process of creating the image, using camera motion, position, and lighting, then the fact that the process is done on the computer instead of on location or on a soundstage shouldn't make a difference.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad