Author Topic: Top 5 Movies About Summer  (Read 2752 times)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Top 5 Movies About Summer
« on: July 07, 2006, 12:31:00 PM »
1.Jaws
2.One Crazy Summer
3.Wet Hot American Summer
4.American Grafitti
5.Stand By Me
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

wilson1290

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 06:32:41 PM »
5. That Night - Makes it on pure nostalgia alone, watching it now as a 26 year-old adult, the plot & preformances may not hold up but it still reminds me of those long, hot summers of my childhood.

4. American Pie 2
- One of the few sequels that actually improves on the original.

3. The Opposite of Sex
- Cristina Ricci and Lisa Kudrow gave their best preformances to date in a quirky and oddly touching comedy.

2. Almost Famous
- OK I'm cheating on this one since the movie starts out during the school year & ends during the summer, but I was running out of ideas. A boy starts out wanting to learn about rock music & ends up learning a lot more about himself, possibly the second greatest road trip movie ever made. . .

1. Y Tu Mama Tambien
- And here's the first. Easily makes my list of the top 20 greatest films of all time. Equal parts hilarious road trip film, honest tale of 3 soul's sexual awakening, and poignant narrative on a country struggling to find a balance between cultural tradition and economic progression.
And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 06:38:52 PM »
great list, a few things I need to see on it, specifically That Night.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Telegram Sam

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 02:21:25 AM »
National Lampoon's Vacation
Dog Day Afternoon
Body Heat
Woodstock
Do the Right Thing

spoko

• Elite Member
  • Hero of the Great Taco Syndicate
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 11:32:15 AM »
5. Dazed and Confused and American Grafitti When you think about summer, no matter your age, you have to think about getting out of school. And in those days it seemed like every summer was a rite of passage, which these films capture perfectly. I think Dazed is a better film, in a lot of ways, though Grafitti is also a really interesting one. Really, though, I'm including the latter mostly because I loved it when I was younger and less cynical, and summer is a time for that kind of worldview: Younger and Less Cynical.

4. Wild Strawberries and On Golden Pond Two films with a very different take on summer from the rest of these. Obviously, still representing youth and memory/nostalgia, but from a very different vantage point. Strawberries is a wonderful film; it's too bad that Bergman's films are so often thought of as being only for film snobs--I think they're much more accessible and watchable than they're given credit for. And of course On Golden Pond has some really great performances. I saw it as a very young child (when it came out--I was eight), and was very touched by it even then.

3. Hope and Glory There really is no better film about what it means to be young and free. Especially unexpected freedom, and freedom in spite of the world. That day when the school is closed--the joy he shares with his grandfather is just wonderful.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird Another one about being young, but this one is more a coming-of-age tale. Still, it really captures summer--friends coming from far away that you never see during the school year, people out socializing on the street, kids clambering around the neighborhood in and out of everyone's yards, all that good stuff.

1. Y Tu Mama Tambien Blatantly stolen from wilson1290, of course. I don't know if I liked the film as much as you did, but it's really an excellent choice. You have to have a road-trip movie in the mix, and this one is just perfect with its themes of youth, age, disillusionment, sexuality, wonder, machismo, spontaneity, regret--everything, everything.

Great idea for a list, by the way.