love

Author Topic: #222: Top 5 'On The Run' Movies  (Read 6701 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
#222: Top 5 'On The Run' Movies
« on: August 08, 2008, 12:45:23 PM »
Nuns optional.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

duder

• Elite Member
Re: #222: Top 5 'On The Run' Movies
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 12:55:42 PM »
The Warriors. I win.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 12:59:01 PM »
The Warriors. I win.

YES. I wasn't surprised it didn't get mentioned, but I was hoping...

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 06:02:29 PM »
T2, as usual, is the best movie in every way.

Catch Me If Your Can fun.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 01:13:58 AM »
The Warriors. I win.

That's the definitive "on the run"movie...
Hey, nice marmot!

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 10:06:47 AM »
I seriously hoped that at least a few of these would be on their lists:

THX-1138
True Romance
Catch Me if You Can
The Bourne Series
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 11:48:23 AM »

The Bourne Series

I didn't even think of Bourne, but now that you mention it, it is a little surprising since Adam loved it so much.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 05:11:42 PM »
North by Northwest

'Nuff said.  ;D

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 05:12:13 PM »
Yay! for the Pierrot le fou pick!
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

mitch-4

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 05:40:03 PM »
Sorry if this is not by the rules, but somehow I never feel like putting together a full list of my own five choices. (And thus never end up posting or sending it in.)  But I'm trying to get around that neurosis today, by separately commenting on your choices and adding a couple of my own suggestions.

• Pierrot. I'm not a hater!  But I do dislike the idolatry of Godard you can run into; and probably overreact by pretending to follow the dictum "He didn't do anything worthwhile after 1968."  However, Pierrot was really a good one!  Good choice, Matty.
  • Natural Born Killers.  Good to see this one not put down.  I like it a lot, at least for the genre-confusion playing, if not so much the on-the-run elements or the implicit social criticism.
  • North by Northwest.  Thank you for listing this as among your favorite Hitchcock movies.  It's probably not my number 1 Hitchcock but it belongs up there close.  And if this is my day to be contrarian about standard critical opinion, let me take this opportunity to confess I don't understand the celebration of Vertigo and would take any of NbNW, Psycho, Notorious, Rear Window, Dial M, and even The Birds and Marnie as its equal or superior, both for enjoyable viewing and artistic achievement.

And now for my semi-list:

• The Chase.  (1966) IMDB title /title/tt0060232/.  Directed by Arthur Penn, with Brando, Redford, Jane Fonda, E.G. Marshall. It may stray slightly from the criteria you guys were using, in that the focus is not fundamentally on the escapee; but it's close enough, and a fine firecracker of a movie!
  • Cavale. (2002) IMDB title /title/tt0233418/, a.k.a. On the Run (duh!), a.k.a Trilogy: One. Maybe not that great after all, but pretty good, and I had to nominate it if only for the English adapted title, which matches the top-5-list title.  Also for the personal reason that when these were around in a theatrical release, the scheduling at our beloved Landmark Century in Chicago was so wacked that snce I had a bug up my @ss to see them in the right order I had to take a half a vacation day to do it.  So I have an investment in claiming they are worthy!
  • Thelma and Louise. Is it a deal like "the pantheon" or "the penalty box" that when you call a list "The so-and-so Memorial Top Five List" that so-and-so is not supposed to be on it?  Well, if not that, then you could well have included this -- I saw it not too long ago and think it really stands up.  Better than I remembered, in fact.

==mitch