Author Topic: Animation Marathon - Wallace and Gromit  (Read 2073 times)

Tonester

Animation Marathon - Wallace and Gromit
« on: July 10, 2006, 01:23:14 PM »
Adam and Sam,

I've been a regular listener since around October last year. Perhaps I've just grown used to your tastes, but it's when catching up with older shows that I tend to find myself disagreeing with you more.

I was intrigued to see, for example, that you reviewed the Wallace and Gromit movie "Curse of the Were-Rabbit" in a generally negative light, yet admitted to having never seen any of the shorts. As such, I'd suggest at least one episode of the animation marathon is spent with the wonders of "A Grand Day Out", "The Wrong Trousers" and "A Close Shave".

You can see a real progression of Nick Park's genius as you go through the films in order. "A Grand Day Out" started as his student project and was finished while he worked as a jobbing animator at Aardman. The other two were better funded (largely by our national treasure that is the  BBC) and are perennial family favourites here in the UK.

Danny Boyle, director of none other than "Filmspotting" - sorry "Trainspotting", once described "The Wrong Trousers" as one of the best directed films he had ever seen, and he's not wrong... Then again, he also directed "Millions"...

Anyway, just my 2p worth.

Tony.

P.S. I love "Millions" - but I know our intrepid hosts don't!

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 04:31:08 PM »
A wallace and gromit mini marathon is a great idea... I could see this definitely being part of the animation marathon. Thanks!
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at http://filmspotting.net and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

nougatmachine

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 10:57:24 AM »
I agree with both of you. :) The Wallace and Gromit shorts are great --- the movie doesn't hold up nearly as well. Honestly, I think most of it comes down to pacing problems. The shorts are so tight and rapid-fire and I think Park and company just weren't able to adapt the material to feature length.

filmnoter

Re: Animation Marathon - Wallace and Gromit
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 02:26:49 PM »
Netflix currently has a documentary streaming, A Grand Night In: The Story of Aardman.  Also, I noticed that the original The Wrong Trousers (that played here in Chicago on PBS) had different musical selections than what eventually made it to DVD (I prefer the original selections).