love

Author Topic: 1990s Far East Bracket  (Read 207831 times)

duder

• Elite Member
Re: 1990s Far East Bracket
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 11:32:23 AM »
These movies will be better because I will have to read and watch a movie at the same time!

Exciting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyndnibJ_GI&feature=related

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 11:37:56 AM »
These movies will be better because I will have to read and watch a movie at the same time!

Exciting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyndnibJ_GI&feature=related

so good, damn, i love that film!
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Marbe

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 12:54:39 PM »
Does Bollywood count as far east movies?

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 01:04:24 PM »
Does Bollywood count as far east movies?

nope, currently including:  cambodia, china, hong kong, indonesia, japan, laos, macau, malaysia, mongolia, myanmar, koreas, papua new guinea, philippiines, taiwan, theiland, vietnam

i can't wait for this bracket to start!
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 02:46:59 PM »
culling titles for the food marathon, we've stumbled on a couple that should probably be added for bracket consideration:

301, 302, Park Cheol-soo, 1995, S Korea
The God of Cookery, Stephen Chow and Lee Lik-Chi, 1996, Hong Kong

both of these look quite good, there might be other titles by the same directors, though i've not spent time researching that yet

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 02:58:24 PM »
To clarify, the list above is of titles NOT currently under consideration due to availability issues.  I'll post the list of available titles soon and invite everyone to nominate any deserving titles we may have missed.

That said, God of Cookery is already on the 'available' list (one of too damn many Stephen Chow films).  301/302 is not as well regarded from what I've seen, so someone would really need to vouch for its inclusion.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 03:00:27 PM »
To clarify, the list above is of titles NOT currently under consideration due to availability issues.  I'll post the list of available titles soon and invite everyone to nominate any deserving titles we may have missed.

That said, God of Cookery is already on the 'available' list (one of too damn many Stephen Chow films).  301/302 is not as well regarded from what I've seen, so someone would really need to vouch for its inclusion.

pixote

i was going off of the spreadsheet and didn't notice either title there, but i take your point that this is a different thread :)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 05:39:12 PM »
I did some searching and I did find a 'copy' on that internet thing of Don't Cry, Nanking, but it may take a while to get. Are we still leaving that one out for now?
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Pacze Moj

• Critical Culture
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 05:41:23 PM »
Quite a few of these are available through eMule.
Critical Culture: cinema, literature, history.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 06:08:39 PM »
Maybe once I become more proficient with emule...