love

Author Topic: 1990s Far East Bracket  (Read 207867 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1990s Far East Bracket
« Reply #220 on: November 01, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »
New matchup!

Getting Any? vs. God of Gamblers 2  (1StrongOpinion)

That's the 1991 God of Gamblers 2, right, 1Strong?.

pixote

That's the one

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #221 on: November 01, 2008, 04:25:10 PM »
New matchup!

Sonatine vs. Serpent's Path  (Melvil)

Thanks for signing up, Melvil.  :)

pixote

I'm looking forward to it! :)

Thor, are you asking about eMule type software as a way of obtaining the movies that aren't available otherwise?

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #222 on: November 03, 2008, 11:16:54 AM »

Thor, are you asking about eMule type software as a way of obtaining the movies that aren't available otherwise?

I have a pretty good video store, and Evanston public library as my movie options. It has come to my attention that there are other ways to obtain movies. eMule was mentioned. But I use a mac. So if anyone knows of other ways to obtain Far East bracket titles, using a mac, that are *budget-friendly*.... that would be nice.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #223 on: November 03, 2008, 12:02:26 PM »
Well, there is always Bittorrent (a "distributed peer-to-peer protocol"). There are sites specifically for sharing torrents of foreign movies you can't find otherwise. Bittorrent itself is widely used and perfectly legal, but as a disclaimer, of course any time you start sharing copyright material you're in a legal grey zone.

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #224 on: November 03, 2008, 12:06:44 PM »
Thanks.

Grey-zones are where's it at.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #225 on: November 03, 2008, 12:17:50 PM »
Some of the Far East films are available just at general torrent sites (Mininova, etc.).  The more useful torrent sites, though, are AvistaZ and AsianDVDClub, both of which specialize in Asian cinema.  They require registration, but it's totally painless, so long as they're not at their set member limit.  And then eMule (and probably aMule) has a couple dozen of the bracket films that don't seem to be available anywhere else.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #226 on: November 03, 2008, 12:27:15 PM »
Oh, and Transmission is a good bittorrent client for the mac. uTorrent is my recommendation for the PC.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #227 on: November 03, 2008, 01:36:27 PM »
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #228 on: November 07, 2008, 06:36:38 AM »
Dear pix,

In approximately one month I move back to the country, where subtitles are a hanging offense and the DVD rentals are entirely in English language. (Slight exaggeration here, but slight.) I promise, that in one week exactly, when I finish classes for the year, I will return to the brilliant rental place I go to in the city, and try to find a promising match up.

The problem is, I only have my MacBook Pro as a DVD player, and it can be quite temperamental. Also, as foreign DVDs can be quite hard to come by, because for some reason it has been assumed that Australians don't want to watch movies with subtitles, my range is fairly limited. I know there are a few available to me on the list, but so far all the ones I have found have been taken or seeded.

The second I find a match, I will let you know. If finding matches was easier, I would've done more by now, I swear.

Sincerely yours,

FifthCityMuse

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #229 on: November 07, 2008, 09:22:52 AM »
If Froham doesn't want you, you can always be my BFF.

... please?

;D

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

love