Author Topic: 1990s Far East Bracket  (Read 207954 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: 1990s Far East Bracket
« Reply #1100 on: September 03, 2011, 04:06:28 PM »
On hold til after the top 100 is done.  But I'm halfway through with my matchup.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #1101 on: September 03, 2011, 04:15:26 PM »
I've needed to do my Little Cheung vs. Good of Cookery review for about a month now. Would we maybe be able to focus on moving this bracket to the next round after the Top 100 is over?

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1102 on: September 03, 2011, 04:19:05 PM »
I really haven't been watching many movies lately and I don't want to hold up the show. If you're looking for a new matchup BV you're more than welcome to have mine:

(73)  Rice People                        Blush                              smirnoff

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1103 on: October 20, 2011, 08:20:04 PM »
I really haven't been watching many movies lately and I don't want to hold up the show. If you're looking for a new matchup BV you're more than welcome to have mine:

(73)  Rice People                        Blush                              smirnoff

A little late on the reply, but I'd like to officially take this.

Rice People just came from Netflix. :)
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1104 on: October 21, 2011, 02:12:40 PM »
Good man :)

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #1105 on: December 30, 2011, 06:40:10 PM »
I will also take a matchup if its got the Netflix availible thing working for it (or if the movies can be streamed on youtube or something)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #1106 on: December 30, 2011, 06:58:09 PM »
I will also take a matchup if its got the Netflix availible thing working for it (or if the movies can be streamed on youtube or something)

The Results and Schedule thread for this bracket has the list of the films currently up for grabs:

Below are the films that have yet to be matched up for the second round (for the complete list of every film in the bracket, look here).

You can create your own matchup from this list.  Let me know if you need help sourcing a title.

The titles below link to IMDb to help you find ones that sound interesting to you.

All second round matchups must pair one film in blue with one film in black.

AVAILABLE FROM NETFLIX

Not One Less  (Zhang Yimou, 1999, China)

UNAVAILABLE FROM NETFLIX

Cageman  (Chi Leung 'Jacob' Cheung, 1992, Hong Kong)
Hakuchi  (Macoto Tezuka, 1999, Japan)
Like Grains of Sand  (Ryosuke Hashiguchi, 1995, Japan)
Red Firecracker, Green Firecracker  (He Ping, 1994, China)
Woman Sesame Oil Maker  (Xie Fei, 1994, China)

Not a whole bunch of easy-to-find films in that group. Might be time again to press people to either finish their current matchups or surrender them.

I should also be resurrecting some more films in fairly short order, so there should be a few Netflix-available titles coming your way soon, one way or another.

Also, if it's not already clear, in this bracket you get to design your own matchups (with restrictions).

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1107 on: December 31, 2011, 05:36:24 PM »
Woman Sesame Oil Maker and Not One Less are both quite good. That'd be a strong match-up for anyone interesting, imo.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #1108 on: January 02, 2012, 01:27:12 AM »
I did some looking at my various sources. Cant find any of the non-Netflix.

When I can get it though Ill be happy to.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #1109 on: February 12, 2012, 04:52:31 PM »
I really want to do this so Ive been checking on the black options for streaming constantly. By typing in "Cageman 1992" on Google Videos the first results that comes up is 70 minutes of the movie (the site is called 56.com) . Despite the website being completely in Asian characters, the stream has English subtitles. Thought I was set, but I checked IMDb and I think this is only half the movie. I assume that the link the second half is probably right there on the right hand side (like youtubes layout), but I cant read the site at all.  Can anyone read the asian characters on the site? Or find the link to the second half some other way? If so I would be happy to pair up Cageman and Not One Less.

EDIT: dug around a bit and figured out where part 2 is. I can do CAGEMAN VS NOT ONE LESS
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 04:59:05 PM by jrod »

love