Author Topic: 1990s Far East Bracket  (Read 207928 times)

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
Re: 1990s Far East Bracket
« Reply #1280 on: July 28, 2013, 08:16:27 PM »
I'll take Pickpocket vs. Down the Drain.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1281 on: July 28, 2013, 10:34:39 PM »
BlueVoid and smirnoff, you had such different experiences with your matchups.  Even round three is a real crapshoot. I wish Rice People was available here.

I'm a little lost, but want to get back into this game. pixote have A Petal and The Puppetmaster been taken yet? If not, I'd like to watch those. :)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1282 on: July 29, 2013, 08:51:18 AM »
Well, Netflix silently removed Happy End from my queue, so I'm assuming they don't have it anymore. Go ahead and throw both of my films back into the list as I'm probably not going to have time to get to them anytime soon, anyway.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1283 on: July 29, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »
BlueVoid and smirnoff, you had such different experiences with your matchups.  Even round three is a real crapshoot. I wish Rice People was available here.

youtube :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1284 on: July 29, 2013, 06:12:33 PM »
youtube :)

I didn't even think to check youtube!

Thanks for the link. :) It looks like my kind of movie.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #1285 on: July 29, 2013, 06:17:34 PM »
Youtube is how I've watched maybe a half dozen films in this thing. So great to find one on there. I just watched Comrades, A Love Story for my matchup there. Streaming in full, decent quality.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1286 on: July 29, 2013, 09:16:40 PM »
Yes! YouTube is a great resource for this bracket. We should create a list which lists those available on YouTube. Not sure on the forum rules for actually linking them, but they are pretty easy to search for.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1287 on: July 29, 2013, 10:14:45 PM »
There's a few that are there but missing english subtitles. I don't imagine there a way to add those after the fact, but I'm not sure.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1288 on: July 29, 2013, 10:55:29 PM »
There's a few that are there but missing english subtitles. I don't imagine there a way to add those after the fact, but I'm not sure.

First an obvious question, but I will ask.  Did you check if they provided the subtitles under CC and are not just looking to see if they are embedded in the video itself?  Assuming yes.

There are a few sites where you can download subtitles but you would also have to download the Youtube video and then try to see if they can be synced up.  A bit of trouble and not sure what luck you would have to get them in sync as the subtitles maybe from a different video file.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1289 on: July 30, 2013, 04:49:37 PM »

First an obvious question, but I will ask.  Did you check if they provided the subtitles under CC and are not just looking to see if they are embedded in the video itself?  Assuming yes.

Yes. I like those ones best because the text is clear regardless of what the video looks like (usually bad). :)

There are a few sites where you can download subtitles but you would also have to download the Youtube video and then try to see if they can be synced up.  A bit of trouble and not sure what luck you would have to get them in sync as the subtitles maybe from a different video file.

Desperate times may call for desperate measures. ;)