love

Poll

Your Favorite Otto Preminger Films is ...

The Great Love
0 (0%)
Under Your Spell
0 (0%)
Danger-Love at Work
0 (0%)
Margin for Error
0 (0%)
In the Meantime, Darling
0 (0%)
Laura
17 (27.9%)
A Royal Scandal
0 (0%)
Fallen Angel
3 (4.9%)
Centennial Summer
0 (0%)
Forever Amber
1 (1.6%)
Daisy Kenyon
0 (0%)
The Fan
0 (0%)
Whirlpool
1 (1.6%)
Where the Sidewalk Ends
2 (3.3%)
The 13th Letter
0 (0%)
Angel Face
1 (1.6%)
The Moon Is Blue
0 (0%)
The Girl on the Roof
0 (0%)
River of No Return
1 (1.6%)
Carmen Jones
0 (0%)
The Man with the Golden Arm
4 (6.6%)
The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell
0 (0%)
Saint Joan
1 (1.6%)
Bonjour tristesse
1 (1.6%)
Porgy and Bess
0 (0%)
Anatomy of a Murder
14 (23%)
Exodus
0 (0%)
Advise & Consent
4 (6.6%)
The Cardinal
0 (0%)
In Harm's Way
2 (3.3%)
Bunny Lake Is Missing
2 (3.3%)
Hurry Sundown
0 (0%)
Skidoo
0 (0%)
Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon
0 (0%)
Such Good Friends
0 (0%)
Rosebud
0 (0%)
The Human Factor
0 (0%)
haven't seen any
7 (11.5%)
don't like any
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Preminger, Otto  (Read 8876 times)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Preminger, Otto - Directors Best Poll
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2015, 09:00:11 PM »
Perhaps you'll catch up with Laura this Noir-vember.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Directors Best Poll - Otto Preminger
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2015, 09:07:14 PM »
Perhaps you'll catch up with Laura this Noir-vember.

or perhaps....

1. Where the Sidewalk Ends
2. Fallen Angel
3. The 13th Letter

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Preminger, Otto
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2016, 09:01:23 AM »
1. Anatomy of a Murder (3.5)
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2018, 11:31:26 PM »
Preminger has a number of films with other directors also taking credit. Does anyone know who should be the credited director of...

Nancy Steele Is Missing! (1937) - with George Marshall
Kidnapped (1938) - with Alfred L. Werker
A Royal Scandal (1945) - with Ernst Lubitsch
Forever Amber (1947) - with John M. Stahl
That Lady in Ermine (1948) - with Ernst Lubitsch
River of No Return (1954) - with Jean Negulesco
Porgy and Bess (1959) - with Rouben Mamoulian

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2018, 11:39:38 PM »
Porgy and Bess (1959) - with Rouben Mamoulian
This one is definitely all Preminger. Mamoulian was fired before anything was shot.

That Lady in Ermine (1948) - with Ernst Lubitsch
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Lady_in_Ermine
Although Lubitsch received sole credit as director, he died after only eight days of filming, and the project was completed by Otto Preminger.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:41:39 PM by PeacefulAnarchy »

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2018, 12:19:47 AM »
Updated Rankings

The 13th Letter (1951)
* * * - Good
I’m glad that it’s been a few years since I saw the original film, Henri-Georges Clouzot’s Le Corbeau. This allowed me to get involved in the mystery once again, which is the story’s strongest aspect, especially since this version lacks the subtext of a small town turning against itself. Preminger’s take is the shattering of domestic happiness told with Noir flair. The hook of the letters and the way the script throws suspicion on various characters works better than most mysteries, but the final reasoning, clever as it is, I wish had more of a punch.

The Moon is Blue (1953)
Flimsy excuse but the combination of this conversation and its appearance on an ICM list I’ve nearly completed was enough for me to impulsively watch. This filmed play with a minimal cast is long on conversation but sadly short on sparkling dialogue. William Holden and David Niven star, but relative unknown Maggie McNamara steals the film as a woman who is both modern (loves compliments and kisses and is aware of her wholesome sexuality) and old fashioned (strictly virgin and craving marital domesticity.) She was nominated for an Oscar and justifiably so.

Skidoo (1968)
I regularly listen to Gilbert Gottfried’s Amazing Colossal Podcast where he frequently likes to mention this disaster because it was an attempt by Hollywood to connect with the rising hippie generation with a sizable budget and a cast that includes Jackie Gleason, Carol Channing, Frankie Avalon, Burgess Meredith, George Raft, Mickey Rooney, Cesar Romero and Groucho Marx, many of whom never appear in the same frame together. The film is never funny, often jaw-droppingly bad with moments that can never been washed from your eyes like Groucho Marx’s head spinning on a giant screw and a lengthy scene where Carol Channing is nearly naked.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 09:31:09 PM »
I liked The Moon is Blue a lot. It's certainly missing that something to push it into truly special territory but I found it a lot of fun. I wish I could find more of that sort of dialogue driven stage play turned into a film since I seem to have a real soft spot for them.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2018, 12:08:38 AM »
For a dialogue driven stage play of this type, The Seven Year Itch is better. Even though it's lesser Wilder, the acting, dialogue and comedic timing is slightly better and the characters slightly more engaging.

Since you have this soft spot, have you seen John Frankenheimer's The Iceman Cometh? I would love to know how that hits your spot.

Have you seen The 13th Letter? I thought of you since Le Corbeau is (was?) in your Top 100, which is what got me to watch that version, and the box art has remained your avatar.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2018, 02:36:30 AM »
7-year itch is pretty fun too, though I didn't find the characters as sympathetic. I don't know why I haven't seen 13th letter, I know I've had it on my noir watchlist but never got around to it. I like Preminger and Le corbeau so I really should.

Have never heard of (that version of) The Iceman Cometh. 4 hours, huh? I'm intrigued.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2018, 09:59:11 PM »
A Royal Scandal (1945)
★ ★ ★ - Okay
Screwball comedy about Catherine the Great (Tallula Bankhead), occasionally goes for equating speaking loud with funny, but there are a number of strong supporting players. Best of the bunch is Charles Coburn as Catherine's advisor, the person who best knows how to navigate the slippery corridors of the palace. He's the smartest man in any room who knows the smart thing is to not appear to be so smart. Some of the best scenes are when he and Sig Ruman (as a treasonous General) are together, but there's also Anne Baxter, Mischa Auer and Vincent Price.

The script contains large doses of sly, sharp and silly, but there's something that holds it back from true greatness. It could be that Bankhead is the queen of the stage, but on screen she doesn't have the luster of her contemporaries. Most of her scenes are with Tyrone Power stand-in William Eythe. Against the cast and intrigue that surround them, their comedic love scenes are the film's weakness.

There's also a debate about Preminger's credit. The film was developed and storyboarded by Ernst Lubitsch, who rehearsed the cast and started production but was replaced when he became ill. Preminger completed the film, which bears the title Ernst Lubitsch's A Royal Scandal. It walks and talks like Lubitsch, though a bit louder and cruder.

love