Poll

Where do you stand on the directing talents of Pellington and Romaneck?

Both still have the potential to become Great.
1 (8.3%)
I expect Pellington will show Greatness.
0 (0%)
I expect Romaneck will show Greatness.
1 (8.3%)
A few years ago, I would have expected Greatness.
3 (25%)
It would take a lot for either to impress me.
2 (16.7%)
I didn't even like their video work.
0 (0%)
Wish I had an opinion.
5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: [Various] The Top Directors Working Today: Mark Pellington and Mark Romaneck  (Read 1976 times)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Along with David Fincher, Spike Jonze and Michel Gondry, Pellington and Romaneck were the kings of the music video.  Among his work, Pellington directed U2's "One" and the classic Pearl Jam video for "Jeremy".  Romaneck's mini-masterpieces include "99 Problems" (Jay-Z), "Hurt" (Johnny Cash), "Criminal" (Fiona Apple), "Devil's Haircut" (Beck), "Are You Gonna Go My Way" (Lenny Kravitz) and "Closer" (Nine Inch Nails).

Pellington jumped into features first with the impressive Arlington Road, following it with The Mothman Prophecies, which garnered mixed reviews but I think it's cleverly directed and highly underrated.  He's floundered since then, directing television, the concert film U2-3D and the recent indie, Henry Poole is Here.  His output in the last 6 years has been kind of sad, actually.

The same fate has fallen on Romaneck, who has yet to follow up his 2002 debut, One Hour Photo.  Word is he's a tightly-wound perfectionist and many projects have slipped through his finger because he felt they weren't ready.

So do we just write them off and move on to the next director?  Pellington's video resume isn't as strong, but he's done more with his first two films.  Romaneck is arguably the best music video director of his generation, but can he bring that skill and artistry to the big screen?  I hope that both of them make films that equal their great video work, but I had more hope for them a few years ago.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:24:47 PM by pixote »

Ronan

• Elite Member
Re: The Top Directors Working Today: Mark Pellington and Mark Romaneck
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 05:24:43 AM »
I've seen all those films except Henry Poole. I don't know what to say. I think they both would have to do more before I could form an opinion

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 08:20:28 AM »
Arlington Road was silly but effective. I haven't seen any of the other features. They have both done great music videos, but... you have to convert.

What the eff is Chris Cunningham doing with his life these days?
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 08:57:48 AM »
That video for Hurt gets me every single time but I've not seen One Hour Photo. Chalk it up to my Robin Williams aversion.

I thought Arlington Road was a descent thriller but I've not seen any of Pellington's other work.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 06:29:14 PM »
They both need more films to impress me.  I did like a film Mark Pellington made some years ago called Going All the Way w/ Ben Affleck, Jeremy Davies, Rose McGowan, and Rachel Weisz.

I do like One Hour Photo but I prefer Romanek's video work.  Notably with NIN and Johnny Cash. 

What is Chris Cunningham doing?  He hasn't done a feature film. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 02:24:43 PM »
Who?
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
Who?
Do you even read the initial post?
Yeah I did. A "Who?" still seemed warranted.  ;)
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

love