Author Topic: Animation Marathon - Suggestions  (Read 26503 times)

Dracula

• The Movie Vampie Blog
Animation Marathon - Suggestions
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2006, 09:07:29 AM »
Quote from: "cronoclone"
Sam knows visual style.  Remember the glowing review he gave Evil Dead 2?

Remember the not so glowing reviews of The Wild Bunch & Suspiria
Worth dying for
Worth killing for
Worth going to hell for
Amen

check out my movie review blog http://themovievampire.wordpress.com/

Lunatique

• http://www.ethereality.info
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2006, 01:02:20 PM »
Quote from: "Dracula"
Quote from: "cronoclone"
Sam knows visual style.  Remember the glowing review he gave Evil Dead 2?

Remember the not so glowing reviews of The Wild Bunch & Suspiria

Hahahah. I can be a real pretentious snobby douche at times, and even I could see the genius of Suspiria. I was blown away by how the intense music and the visuals worked together to create a complete sense of horror and hysteria.

This is nothing new though--Sam has always been the one that has less in common with the average film buff. In fact, both Adam and Sam are the types that can't seem to just enjoy the kind of films that make people go "It rocked!" They gotta pick everything apart and forget that not all filmmakers try to appeal to people like them--some just want to rock out with a camera.

But I guess when you want a dose of less pretentious podcasting, there's always mondo movies. ;) (I do love filmspotting though--it satisfies my snobby douche side.)
Ooh... Obscene finger gesture."

Dracula

• The Movie Vampie Blog
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2006, 01:03:45 AM »
Quote from: "Lunatique"
This is nothing new though--Sam has always been the one that has less in common with the average film buff. In fact, both Adam and Sam are the types that can't seem to just enjoy the kind of films that make people go "It rocked!" They gotta pick everything apart and forget that not all filmmakers try to appeal to people like them--some just want to rock out with a camera.

That's exactly why I don't think they'll get much out of Akira, that movie isn't exactly known for its cohesive storyline.  But well... It rocks!
Really, I think Akira's story is easier to understand then a lot of people seem to find it.  Ghost in the Shell on the other hand...

Yeah, don't want to sound like a Filmspotting bashers, I'm just one of those people who "often disagrees but enjoys the insightful commentary"

Still Sam sometimes has me throwing my ipod across the room in anger at some of the crazy crap he says.  He doesn’t seem to understand screen violence either wich is another reason I don’t think Akira will make out too well.  

If there’s one thing Sam seems to consistently hate it’s a combination of violence, cinematic flair, and morally ambiguous characters.  CF The Wild Bunch, Susperia, & Sin City.
Worth dying for
Worth killing for
Worth going to hell for
Amen

check out my movie review blog http://themovievampire.wordpress.com/

Lunatique

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2006, 01:26:40 AM »
I don't want to sound like I'm bashing Sam or Filmspotting either--I love those guys. Such nice, polite young men. :D

Quote from: "Dracula"

If there’s one thing Sam seems to consistently hate it’s a combination of violence, cinematic flair, and morally ambiguous characters.  CF The Wild Bunch, Susperia, & Sin City.

Gee, that describes a bunch of cinematic masterpieces--Goodfellas, A Clockwork Orange, Pulp Fiction, The Godfather..etc.

Man, I'd hate to be Sam, because I'd enjoy life so much less than I do now. In fact, I wish I was even less of a snob than I am already, because people with no taste seem to enjoy just about everything. :D

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2006, 10:47:22 PM »
Ok. I give in. I will follow this marathon from now on. I have no prior knowledge of anime, so it will be a whole new experience for me. Unfortunately, my means of watching these movies aren't exactly what you would call legal, so I think I will have to deal with the dubs. I'll do 'em in order so I can get caught up, then I'll share what I think. Also, if I find I like them, I will probably buy them and watch them with the correct languages. Deal?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Lunatique

« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2006, 11:12:07 PM »
I think you can find subbed versions pretty easily on p2p networks or torrents. The anime fandom typically prefer subbed by default.

Nijhazer

« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2006, 06:50:27 PM »
I think you can find subbed versions pretty easily on p2p networks or torrents. The anime fandom typically prefer subbed by default.

Yes, most anime fans that I've met tend to download their anime rather than buy it. I'm not surprised to see more of them on other forums continuing to advocate outright piracy.

Lunatique

« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2006, 08:12:19 PM »
Quote from: "Nijhazer"

Yes, most anime fans that I've met tend to download their anime rather than buy it. I'm not surprised to see more of them on other forums continuing to advocate outright piracy.

The people I know around me tend to have the collector's mentality, and I think that's true for most anime fans too (and applies to most types of fandom). Downloading something to watch is probably only part of the equation--if it's somnething they really like, they'd want to own it. The sense of ownership is a big part of being part of a fandom.

Nijhazer

« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2006, 09:13:36 PM »

The people I know around me tend to have the collector's mentality, and I think that's true for most anime fans too (and applies to most types of fandom). Downloading something to watch is probably only part of the equation--if it's somnething they really like, they'd want to own it. The sense of ownership is a big part of being part of a fandom.

I think you can find a sense of ownership pretty easily on p2p networks or torrents.

Lunatique

« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2006, 10:36:38 PM »

I think you can find a sense of ownership pretty easily on p2p networks or torrents.

I dunno. My buddies and I all have wall to wall filled with DVD's we've purchased throughout our collecting years--literally hundreds and thousands of them. There's no way you can get that same sense of ownership with some 0's and 1's on a hard drive or burned DVD ROM with no cover art, inserts, and a proper barcode. At least I can't.