Author Topic: What I Learned Today  (Read 771717 times)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
Re: What I Learned Today
« Reply #5030 on: October 08, 2009, 12:19:27 PM »
It takes about 45 minutes to replace a hot tub motor.

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #5031 on: October 08, 2009, 12:37:47 PM »
I thought I had to write a five page reading response about Roland Barthes...it turns out it's only 250 words. Best Day Ever.

wow, 250 words, I bet I could make this post that many words if I really wanted to. I mean, just today my professor was describing how many words was 100-200 and he just stood there and spoke for like a minute and that was it, 100-200 words just like that. Given, 250 words is fifty, give or take, more words than two hundred, but fifty words, what is that, like a few sentences strung together that you can make up if you have to? Just now I am nearing 100 words and honesty, have I said anything yet? I didnít think so. Five pages would be very cumbersome indeed on the other hand. Thatís a whole production with outlines, research even, involved, not mentioning extensive editing and proofreading and nobody wants that now, do they? Okay, enough is enough, I canít make it to 250 words without sounding ridiculous, but you get the point. And I did manage to get over 150 words in this post.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
« Reply #5032 on: October 08, 2009, 12:46:19 PM »
250 words is about one page of double spaced typing in a standard size font.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #5033 on: October 08, 2009, 01:09:06 PM »
I think the way they taught English in my day had a flaw. "Write a ____-word essay on _____ subject." We learned to put in all kinds of excess words. Eg. "Sofia enjoyed the process of borrowing." instead of "Sofia enjoyed borrowing." It's true that there is a fine distinction between the two sentences, but I don't think we meant that distinction while writing; we were trying to say something in the most verbose way possible.

Now, writing for a magazine, I have to unlearn all that. Copy-space is precious, and it kills me when I see I've written a sentence with too many words, when a sentence with fewer words would do just fine.

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #5034 on: October 08, 2009, 01:11:55 PM »
that's why I've mostly liked college so far. In high school we had paper lengths and what not, but most of my professors in college have just said to answer the prompt fully, no page or word lengths. That of course means that a good paper should be x pages or words, but it is definitely more comforting to know I can say what I want to say, how I want to say it and don't have to worry about how long it is.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #5035 on: October 08, 2009, 01:13:56 PM »
In high school, I loved writing. I was one of the best writers in the school and everyone expected me to be a journalist. Now, I would much rather take a multiple choice exam than write a paper. Even writing about movies makes me anxious. Word count requirements suck.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5036 on: October 08, 2009, 01:14:56 PM »
Apparently there have been wayyyyy more cases of Swine flu in Irelnad then I realised.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5037 on: October 08, 2009, 01:17:18 PM »
In high school, I loved writing. I was one of the best writers in the school and everyone expected me to be a journalist. Now, I would much rather take a multiple choice exam than write a paper. Even writing about movies makes me anxious. Word count requirements suck.

I guess I'm the same way. Of course my love of movies have flowed over and made me look at other mediums, especially english, ith the same depth and critical eye, and I think my english skills have grown immensely in the past year and a half. However, I don't like writing essays, mainly because The system is quite straight down the line and my teacher couldn't be more straight down the line dull if she tried.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
« Reply #5038 on: October 08, 2009, 04:53:46 PM »
I'm supposed to testify in a trial on Monday for a misdemeanor case from 2001, when I was a crime scene technician.  No subpoena or other notice.  Sorry, gonna be in Florida.  I have no idea why the case is even still active.  The county court system is a never ending mystery.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
« Reply #5039 on: October 08, 2009, 07:56:46 PM »
Someone at Yahoo! News is taking headline writing lessons from the Onion.  current front page feature story headline is about the probe that NASA sent to crash into the moon:  "NASA Attacks the Moon" !!