Author Topic: What I Learned Today  (Read 771729 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: What I Learned Today
« Reply #5710 on: November 12, 2009, 11:53:07 AM »
[...] The percentage saying the Bible is the actual, literal word of God has remained in a relatively narrow range between 27% and 35% across this time period (16 years), with the average being 31%. [...]
http://www.gallup.com/poll/27682/onethird-americans-believe-bible-literally-true.aspx

Whatever "literal" means.  I believe it is "literal", but that doesn't mean I believe it doesn't have contradictions.  I don't like the three options Gallup gave.  Pah.

The world was created in a week (no dinosaurs)...talking burning shrubbery...a wooden ship large enough to carry a pair of every animal in the world?
Literally...?
Hey, nice marmot!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #5711 on: November 12, 2009, 12:38:55 PM »
[...] The percentage saying the Bible is the actual, literal word of God has remained in a relatively narrow range between 27% and 35% across this time period (16 years), with the average being 31%. [...]
http://www.gallup.com/poll/27682/onethird-americans-believe-bible-literally-true.aspx

Whatever "literal" means.  I believe it is "literal", but that doesn't mean I believe it doesn't have contradictions.  I don't like the three options Gallup gave.  Pah.

The world was created in a week (no dinosaurs)...talking burning shrubbery...a wooden ship large enough to carry a pair of every animal in the world?
Literally...?

That would be traditional, not literal.  Literally, the Bible does not affirm a young earth, the voice came out of the bush, and the flood could be local.  Stupid traditionalists can't even read their own book...

Sorry.  I'll try to be nicer.

On a completely different note, I learned that I can change my Facebook language to "English-Pirate".  This has brought me great joy!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #5712 on: November 12, 2009, 03:15:09 PM »
I can write a lot, very quickly, when the pressure is on. 700 words in 15 minutes!

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #5713 on: November 12, 2009, 03:16:26 PM »

Literally...?

That would be traditional, not literal.  Literally, the Bible does not affirm a young earth, the voice came out of the bush, and the flood could be local.  Stupid traditionalists can't even read their own book...

Sorry.  I'll try to be nicer.

On a completely different note, I learned that I can change my Facebook language to "English-Pirate".  This has brought me great joy!

Wow we'd gone almost 10 days without someone bashing religion.    I need to reset the counter back to zero
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #5714 on: November 12, 2009, 03:40:14 PM »
I can write a lot, very quickly, when the pressure is on. 700 words in 15 minutes!

Wow. I need some of that talent to rub off on me right about now.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #5715 on: November 12, 2009, 03:41:06 PM »
It takes me longer to print than to type. 0 pages in 20 minutes!

íKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #5716 on: November 12, 2009, 04:10:08 PM »
the largest font size the boards go up to.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #5717 on: November 12, 2009, 08:37:11 PM »
what the garage band program is and what it does.

You make some beats, I lay down some dank verses, we are good to go.

I'll take your lack of a response as a yes.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #5718 on: November 12, 2009, 09:55:39 PM »
that the local blockbuster does not carry Spirited Away.  Not only that but the clerk behind the counter had never heard of it
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #5719 on: November 12, 2009, 10:01:08 PM »
that the local blockbuster does not carry Spirited Away.  Not only that but the clerk behind the counter had never heard of it

>:(  You should never go back there again.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky