love

Author Topic: What I Learned Today  (Read 1463825 times)

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
Re: What I Learned Today
« Reply #6120 on: December 03, 2009, 11:08:35 AM »
And I learned a neat new word:  hemangioma!

what does this mean?

It's a benign growth involving blood vessels unusually close to the skin.  I've had a red dot on my cheek for a couple of years that never went away and I started to get paranoid about skin cancer after a couple of people had asked me if I'd had it looked at.  My grandfather and his sisters all had recurring squamous and basal cell carcinomas on their faces (and top of the head for my grandfather with his thin hair) and were always having little divots removed here & there.  That and the fact that I've had severe sunburns make me nervous about skin cancer.

But it's just a hemangioma and I'm lucky to have such a little one, some of the pictures I found when I googled the word are just gross.  The kind I have is called a cherry hemangioma.  I feel better about it now that I know it's nothing dangerous.  The doc said I could get laser treatments for it but as long as it's not anything serious I can pretty much ignore it.

I also found out that I have keratosis pilaris, which is a fancy word for the bumps I've always had on the backs of my upper arms and the dots on my legs.  Turns out that it's some sort of genetic thing and not just normal skin.  Huh.  Not that there's much to be done about it except try to keep things lotioned up to minimize it.  

They can shrink those hemiangiomas with propranolol.  It's kinda new, but very cool.  Did your doc tell ya?  Two of my brothers are dermatologists, they're all excited about it.  
The answers you seek are in Norway.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #6121 on: December 03, 2009, 11:10:40 AM »
And I learned a neat new word:  hemangioma!

what does this mean?

It's a benign growth involving blood vessels unusually close to the skin.  I've had a red dot on my cheek for a couple of years that never went away and I started to get paranoid about skin cancer after a couple of people had asked me if I'd had it looked at.  My grandfather and his sisters all had recurring squamous and basal cell carcinomas on their faces (and top of the head for my grandfather with his thin hair) and were always having little divots removed here & there.  That and the fact that I've had severe sunburns make me nervous about skin cancer.

But it's just a hemangioma and I'm lucky to have such a little one, some of the pictures I found when I googled the word are just gross.  The kind I have is called a cherry hemangioma.  I feel better about it now that I know it's nothing dangerous.  The doc said I could get laser treatments for it but as long as it's not anything serious I can pretty much ignore it.

I also found out that I have keratosis pilaris, which is a fancy word for the bumps I've always had on the backs of my upper arms and the dots on my legs.  Turns out that it's some sort of genetic thing and not just normal skin.  Huh.  Not that there's much to be done about it except try to keep things lotioned up to minimize it.  

They can shrink those hemiangiomas with propranolol.  It's kinda new, but very cool.  Did your doc tell ya?  Two of my brothers are dermatologists, they're all excited about it.  

Sorry I missed this earlier Colleen.  Sorry to hear about this  :-\
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

OmNom

• Elite Member
« Reply #6122 on: December 03, 2009, 11:11:50 AM »
My mom has seen Inglorious BasterdsHotel for Dogs The Mormon Tabernacle ChoirSynecdoche New York and really liked it.

I win.

Yep!  You win! 

but did she like Secretary?

or Humpday

Or Mulholland Drive.  Anyone whose mom liked Mulholland Drive wins.  

So I guess my daughter wins.  

She might not think that's cool...

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #6123 on: December 03, 2009, 11:12:57 AM »
It's sweet that everyone here talked to their mom about movies today.  I think we've all learned something.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #6124 on: December 03, 2009, 11:46:28 AM »
Someone has invented a bra that can, within 25 seconds, be transformed into TWO-- count them, two!-- gas masks.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #6125 on: December 03, 2009, 12:05:46 PM »
Someone has invented a bra that can, within 25 seconds, be transformed into TWO-- count them, two!-- gas masks.

is this in case someone farts during foreplay?
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6126 on: December 03, 2009, 12:08:25 PM »

is this in case someone farts during foreplay?

That's one of many, many uses.  This could easily become a best seller.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #6127 on: December 03, 2009, 12:11:10 PM »
It's much more marketable than the male equivalent.

OmNom

• Elite Member
« Reply #6128 on: December 03, 2009, 12:16:59 PM »
So... A woman with smaller breasts ---> smaller cup size--->  smaller mask---> more women with smaller breasts die---> more larger-breasted women in the post-apocalyptic world.  I smell a conspiracy here.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6129 on: December 03, 2009, 12:24:17 PM »
So... A woman with smaller breasts ---> smaller cup size--->  smaller mask---> more women with smaller breasts die---> more larger-breasted women in the post-apocalyptic world.  I smell a conspiracy here.

Size of nose to size of breast ratio is very important in the post apocalyptic world.  

In that world, men would have a "decent" excuse to stare at a woman's chest.  "Sorry, I was just trying to see if your 'mask' would fit me, if necessary."
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:26:03 PM by stevekimes »

love