love

Author Topic: What I Learned Today  (Read 1463867 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: What I Learned Today
« Reply #14570 on: June 03, 2019, 03:03:01 PM »
The internet brings out the worst in some people. It took me 30+ years of being on the internet to realize, accept, and admit that I am one of those people. It seems that in any online community I join, there's always someone (or someones) who serves as my antagonist... someone whose posts annoy me or irritate me or make me want to confront them, or mock them. I've come to realize that the problem is ME. The relative safety of the internet brings out an ugly, judgmental, snobbish, confrontational negative side of me. Like most terrible behavior, it's borne out of my own deep-seated insecurities. But that doesn't excuse it and I don't like it at all. I'd much rather be a Sandy, who finds the good in everyone and is always pleasant and kind.

So if I've ever been shitty to you, I'm truly sorry. I'm going to strive to be kind, to be more like the gentle kitten who has ironically been my avatar for so long.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14571 on: June 03, 2019, 03:56:41 PM »
I've had a stint of years of being crappy on the Internet. At some point I just figured that picking fights wasn't worth my time and I'd rather spend my life enjoying things and people instead of adding to more negativity in the world.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #14572 on: June 03, 2019, 07:57:22 PM »
I'll take my Martin any way I can get him.

I'll admit there are days I come on here to put some grease into the Movie Games and some days I look to stir up some debate with a little strong opinion. I don't know how often the rest of you look back at posts from 10 years ago, but it's interesting reading the friction-causing debates that used to be had, which were always done with a baseline understanding that we all liked and respected each other. Sometimes a reply would be as simple as "why are you always so wrong?" but nobody ever read into it as a personal attack. Just people who all love movies in different ways, venting some frustration.

I honestly miss a bit of that antagonism, which is a good indicator that I'm part of the problem. For example, I've responded to Bondo and roujin in ways less than kind because of their way of expressing unpopular opinions, however both have probably steered me towards some of my greatest Discoveries over the years. I can't tell you how happy I am over Bondo's month with Top 100 club - I have 3 films lined up for tonight - and I miss roujin's Bollywood recommendations.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #14573 on: June 03, 2019, 08:47:03 PM »
I  mostly cut out of engaging in heated discussions or throwing too much of an opinion on forums where the main purpose is not what is being discussed. I may spend time here, on local audio/video forum or on investment forums. The later two have places that often can go very off-topic to the main purpose, usually political. Where it might have been interested to engage or debate those topics, I usually pause before posting and just ask myself what purpose does my post serve? If I think it is mostly noise, then I kill it. Even if it is more factual and less opinion, I am not sure it will be of a net benefit to the community or myself to post it.

Those that feel a duty to deliver a counter argument or  question the source of the information usually cause things to spin more out of control and the main purpose gets lost in the discussion. So I have learned to either tune out the noise or just read and try to better understand people regardless of what I think of their views.

I never engage in Twitter though may occasionally catch up on postings of things/people that  I follow but I am not sure if serves any value. It can be entertaining, somewhat educational but in the end, I think it is a distraction and a tool that gets in the way of me trying to use my time more productively.  Maybe the strong opinions have calmed down here since 10 years ago but you can always follow Corey on Twitter if you miss them too much:) 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #14574 on: June 04, 2019, 12:55:28 AM »
I'll argue with you, 1SO, if you'd like. ;)

Thank you, Martin. Honestly, you guys are awfully easy to be nice to. :) This was my first venture into online community and I haven't ventured too far since. I lucked out finding this place. <3

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14575 on: June 04, 2019, 07:28:20 AM »
I definitely fall in the mellowed with age category. I suppose I’m still occasionally good for a trolly line or two but there’s no bite to it compared to the early years. It’s more relevant re political discussions on Twitter/FB with strangers where I start into it and then usually just delete because it isn’t worth it.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #14576 on: June 04, 2019, 09:16:30 AM »
What do you think I've been trying to do;D

The last line here is a direct challenge.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #14577 on: June 05, 2019, 12:06:24 AM »
What do you think I've been trying to do;D

The last line here is a direct challenge.

:))

Rebuttals forthcoming in the Respond to the last movie thread!

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14578 on: June 12, 2019, 10:31:43 PM »
I think all of you are awesome, warts and all.
I rarely post but I check in more than you think and I get some sort of inspiration from all of you.
I’ve seen so many films on YOUR recommendations that have been simply delightful.
I know I’ve had my sharp edges but I hope people look past that.
This place is always home to me.
Hey, nice marmot!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #14579 on: June 14, 2019, 12:35:04 AM »
We love having you around, St. Martin.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love