love

Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 8539 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: The Mandalorian
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2021, 11:08:44 PM »
Yes, and she doesn't have creative control over projects. This is less a problem of professional abuse of power and more about abusing your platform as a celebrity.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2021, 11:37:39 PM »
How hard is it to not say shitty things on twitter? It's not that hard.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2021, 01:53:47 AM »
I finished all of this with my mom, and now get this thread as my reward. Just random, probably dumb notes I have to offer:

How hard is it to not say shitty things on twitter? It's not that hard.

Funny this is the last thing said in this thread. I only poke around on Twitter as much as one can without an account, and it's bad. I don't know how anyone does it full time. Anyway, The Mandalorian...

There are a lot of movie references, or so I perceived. I know there are a lot of western references, but specifically Chapter 4 is an economic version of Seven Samurai and Baby Yoda literally gets his face sucked Alien-style when they play with their stew. There were more, but my memory sucks, and the last 3 weeks have seemed like a year.

I was wary of this series, as I figured The Child/Baby Yoda/Grogu was the ultimate tool for selling merch. I ended up happy with these oddly efficient bursts of Star Wars, if for anything that I enjoy watching Star Wars things. Still lots of bizarre characters and evolutionary creativity. There aren't a ton of specific creatures or droids that you can latch onto, no porgs (for better or worse) or BB8's or K-2SO (a personal favorite) but the core pairing of a religious fanatic and a 50 year-old wordless child somehow worked out in a way I should have reasoned out better by now. That's the nature of Star Wars, on paper it's dumb as hell, but there is just the mythos, charm, and fun that keep it going. The Child isn't quite a MacGuffin - for all I know they're the key to balancing the force for the next 800-900 years - but they work similarly in attracting attention from all over the universe, reeling in all of the different characters and plots that make this series tick.

Too bad about Gina Carano, she was a favorite of mine in the series.

Junior says Giancarlo Esposito has been in everything, which proves something I'd previously surmised: If you were in Breaking Bad, I have a hard time seeing you as anything but being in Breaking Bad. Bob Odenkirk, especially, but it was hard to see Giancarlo as not-Gus. Fortunately, he's on a similar plane of evil in The Mandalorian as he is in that series.

Overall, I came out positive. I watch very few TV series overall (that time is probably taken by sports if we're being honest), so I'm glad I spent time with this one. Makes me want to get ambitious and watch all of The Clone Wars cartoon series from the beginning. Also, Rosario Dawson's appearance has me intrigued by a possible Ahsoka Tano series. The character really is quite vanilla for a lot of The Clone Wars, but obviously she's come of age in this space between Episodes VI and VII, and unlike 1SO, I missed the light sabers a bit in The Mandalorian.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2021, 02:07:47 AM »
I am nibbling away at The Clone Wars animated series, only a few eps in so far. It is a nice companion piece with The Bad Batch.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2021, 02:22:32 AM »
I am nibbling away at The Clone Wars animated series, only a few eps in so far. It is a nice companion piece with The Bad Batch.

That's a big motivation of wanting to go back to The Clone Wars. Might as well get up to date with all things Star Wars. I find the episodes are pretty breezy, and of course the best part is that Yoda gets a major chance to shine.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2021, 09:37:46 AM »
I was wary of this series, as I figured The Child/Baby Yoda/Grogu was the ultimate tool for selling merch.
It's worth noting that it was more important to creators Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau that The Child be kept a secret. So much so that it was part of their deal that Disney could not even begin creating a toy/merchandise line until the first episode aired because they didn't want it to leak out. At that point, the demand was instantly so high that Disney was working with outside vendors who could produce product faster than their usual pipeline. Typical Disney merch featuring The Child didn't start appearing until after the first season was over. Of course, now it has more shelf space than Winnie the Pooh.

I ended up happy with these oddly efficient bursts of Star Wars, if for anything that I enjoy watching Star Wars things.
This is Dave Filoni, a Star Wars encyclopedia come to life. He spent years compiling all the random Star Wars stories that take place between the 9 main movies into one cohesive timeline. His big proving ground was The Clone Wars series, which expands and explains the time between Episode 2 and 3. The storytelling is bumpy in places, but it gives us the Anakin Skywalker that George Lucas talked about but could never deliver. 

Overall, I came out positive. I watch very few TV series overall (that time is probably taken by sports if we're being honest), so I'm glad I spent time with this one. Makes me want to get ambitious and watch all of The Clone Wars cartoon series from the beginning.
The movie is very rough, with some stereotypes as offensive as the worst of Phantom Menace. It also introduces Ahsoka Tano in a way that you won't believe she ever became a fan favorite. However, the series overall is perhaps even more essential than the 9 movies and occasionally it's just as good. About half of my favorite characters in all of Star Wars - heroes and villains - comes from The Clone Wars. Star Wars: Rebels is almost as good.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2021, 11:57:01 AM »
Corporations making money because they make things people want to buy is good, actually.  8)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2021, 01:14:55 PM »
Corporations making money because they make things people want to buy is good, actually.  8)

That’s not quite my point. The question is: Are you just making this show to sell merch? Or do you really care about what you’re making, with the merch as a natural byproduct or consequence of making the show? It’s a tremendous waste of resources either way, but that’s a bit beyond the scope of my comment. 1SO took care of that info anyway.

love