Poll

What's your favorite film by Ermanno Olmi?

Time Stood Still
0 (0%)
Il Posto
4 (19%)
I Fidanzati
3 (14.3%)
La Cotta
0 (0%)
One Fine Day (Un certo giorno)
0 (0%)
The Tree of Wooden Clogs
1 (4.8%)
Keep Walking
0 (0%)
Long Live the Lady!
0 (0%)
The Legend of the Holy Drinker
0 (0%)
The Secret of the Old Woods
0 (0%)
Genesis: The Creation and the Flood
0 (0%)
The Profession of Arms
0 (0%)
Singing Behind Screens
0 (0%)
One Hundred Nails (Centochiodi)
0 (0%)
haven't seen any
12 (57.1%)
don't like any
1 (4.8%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Olmi, Ermanno  (Read 3798 times)

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
Re: Director's Best: Ermanno Olmi
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 01:22:34 PM »
I've only watched Il Posto which I loved.

I remember you posting the I Fidanzati title screenshot in the What Movie is Playing Right Now thread.  Was it a case of starting it and not finishing or posting your intent to watch it later that night but didn't get to it?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 01:26:36 PM by Ver Schmer »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 11:47:57 AM »
I Fidanzati is in my top 100, one of the most romantic movies I've ever seen.  I wish there were more like it in his filmography.

I really loved Il Posto this summer and I Fidanzati is one of my priorities before finishing my directors list.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 03:29:33 PM »
1. Il Posto (1961)
2. I Fidanzati (1963)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 01:07:59 PM »

Time Stood Still - High in the Italian Alps, a dam is being constructed.  The conditions are too harsh to work in the winter, when the only crew is a pair of caretakers: Salvetti (Paolo Guadrubbi) and Venerocolo (Natale Rossi).  But Salvetti's wife gives birth, and his replacement is Roberto (Roberto Seveso), a college student hoping to use the isolation to study for upcoming exam.  Robert and Venerocolo have a distrustful tension between them, but their bond grows, especially when a storm knocks out the power.

This is Ermanno Olmi's first feature film, from 1959.  But he was hardly new to the camera.  During the previous eight years, he had directed some two dozen documentary shorts.  Two years later, after another batch of short documentaries, he came out with the widely-acclaimed Il Posto and then I Fidanzati (one of my top 100 films).  The latter was nominated for the Palme d'Or, a prize he would win in 1978 with The Tree of Wooden Clogs.  Even then he was still making documentary shorts, mostly for television, but at this point he shifts more and more towards dramatic features.  He's still working today, at age 82.

It's a long and interesting career.  I confess I've never seen any of his vast documentary work, but his features have never let me down.  Even at this first outing, he shows a lovely grace and sensitivity.  And talent for gentle comedy, as Venerocolo and Robert view each other with subtle suspicion, as the newcomer gets on the older veteran's nerves, as the young man tries to find his place in a situation where he knows he's the foreign element.  Robert wears a sweater emblazoned with a giant "R"... along with the puffy head of hair he sports, he evokes Archie Andrews, a symbol of an emerging youth culture that is completely alien to Venerocolo.

What's most appealing about the film is how much restraint Olmi shows.  Never one for big moments, he underplays the rift between them.  It's not some wacky "odd couple" situation.  He takes it to a level that feels authentic, so that he doesn't have to make huge leaps to get to the other side.  We fully believe every stage of this relationship and never feel that we've had to suspend disbelief to get from one to the next.  The result is a beautiful expression of male bonding, of friendship, of a developing father-son like connection.  The performances by Rossi and Seveso are very endearing, Rossi especially has a terrific face.  Unfortunately, this is the only place to see it, as he never made another film (Seveso had a small role in 1963's Il terrorista and then seems to have found his vocation as a camera operator).

With wonderful music by Pier Emilio Bassi (including the hilarious "King of Rock" song Roberto plays on his phonograph) and excellent use of the "Totalscope" widescreen frame by Carlo Bellero, it's a funny and sweet picture.  Both sides of this generation gap are presented with sympathy and understanding... sympathy and understanding that the characters themselves take on.  Rating: Very Good (87)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Olmi, Ermanno
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 01:09:22 AM »
1. I Fidanzati
2. The Tree of Wooden Clogs
3. Time Stood Still
3. Il Posto
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 09:37:22 AM by 1SO »

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 08:42:39 AM »
1. The Fiances (3.5)
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 09:48:32 AM »
Time Stands Still (1959)
★ ★
Coming off of Koreeda, it's more clear that for me to understand and appreciate some of these Great Directors I have to find a way in. Sometimes I find my own way in, especially with genre filmmakers, but with people like Koreeda and Olmi it becomes a code I haven't cracked. I watched Time Stands Still and read Martin's review, but that's the clear work of a fan. He's preaching Olmi, not teaching it. (Much like I would do with John Carpenter or Richard Donner.) I agree with everything Martin is saying, but I don't see the underplaying and restraint as a good thing in this case. It goes back to a comment made on the pace of Koreeda's Maborosi. It's not that I don't like this approach, I just don't think it does much good in this case.