love

Poll

Your Favorite Darren Aronofsky Film Is...

Pi
9 (11.3%)
Requiem for a Dream
26 (32.5%)
The Fountain
11 (13.8%)
haven't seen any
2 (2.5%)
don't like any
2 (2.5%)
The Wrestler
10 (12.5%)
Black Swan
19 (23.8%)
Noah
0 (0%)
mother!
1 (1.3%)
The Whale
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: Aronofsky, Darren  (Read 19556 times)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Aronofsky, Darren
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2012, 11:59:19 PM »
1. Requiem for a Dream
2. mother!
3. The Wrestler
4. The Fountain
5. Black Swan

6. Noah
7. Fortune Cookie
(Short Film)
8. Pi
9. No Time
(Short Film)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 12:33:34 AM by 1SO »

pontus

« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2013, 03:40:42 AM »
1. The Wrestler
2. Pi
3. The Fountain
4. Requiem for a Dream
5. Black Swan

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2013, 11:36:43 AM »
1. Requiem for a Dream 4/5
2. The Wrestler 3/5
3. Black Swan 3/5
4. Pi 3/5
5. The Fountain 2/5

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2013, 12:02:59 AM »
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2014, 01:03:30 PM »
Mother!
Noah
Requiem for a Dream
The Fountain

Pi
The Wrestler

Black Swan
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 11:08:49 AM by Sam the Cinema Snob »

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2014, 05:07:17 PM »
Updated...

1. Requiem for a Dream
2. Black Swan
3. The Wrestler
4. Noah
5. The Fountain
6. Pi
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2014, 10:02:36 AM »
Noah
* * 1/2

Aronofsky's interpretation of Noah, the Ark and religion is so left of field, I feel like I just watched two hours of Old Testament as interpreted by a committee of fantastical liars, each trying to top the one who spoke before. At the same time, this plays like a vision compromised by studio interference. Admit it, if you were to learn the rock golems were a demand by the studios to aim for a wider audience it would not be surprising. When these graphite warriors take on the followers of Cain in an epic battle, it was like something out of a pre-machine age Transformers film.

So is Noah truly the vision of one artist, who talked a studio into giving him 100+ million to execute it? The cynic in me thinks not. He couldn't get more than 30 million for The Fountain, and that one's actually more centered and less wishy-washy in its philosophy. Noah gets much more head-scratchy and silly in places. As Noah goes insane, like all Aronofsky leads must, there comes from his wife much wailing and gnashing of teeth. (Jennifer Connelly here matches the heightened melodrama of Winona Ryder in Black Swan.)

I see Aronofsky's take on Noah not as a passion project, but a logic problem that he worked on for years. How to satisfy the needs of the text, and interpretations of that text, and the demands of a studio. Once he had a solution, his desire to execute it could easily be mistaken for passion, but it's more a continuation of this question. Can he tell a Noah story to satisfy everyone?

Right in the middle, Noah tells the story of creation. It's a brilliantly executed sequence of flash images showing the evolution of the animal species. The images blend until we get ape and then there's the leap to Adam and Eve, conspicuously not connected to this chain. Yet aside from a basic shape, they don't look like us, but like a glowing alien from another world. This is a perfect example of the blend of compromises needed to get the job done, which I think will satisfy few beyond a limited degree - it just left me going WTF? the whole ride - but it sure is interesting to watch.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:29:04 AM by 1SO »

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2014, 10:13:40 AM »
Noah
* * 1/2

Admit it, if you were to learn the rock golems were a demand by the studios to aim for a wider audience it would not be surprising. When these graphite warriors take on the followers of Cain in an epic battle, it was like something out of a pre-machine age Transformers film.

I don't see that at all. That's the thing that always gets the quizzical responses when I tell people about it. That's a thing I see him having to fight for, along with the homicidal Noah turn. 
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2014, 10:31:42 AM »
I was quizzical when I heard about it, but seeing them in action is another thing. I thought they were going to look more like the rock monster in Galaxy Quest or Hellboy II, but these have a power supply at their core that glow with energy and explode when killed.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2014, 10:36:54 AM »
It would seem that I slept through too much of Noah to feel comfortable grading it. But, like The Fountain, it's not a film I have any desire to revisit.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad