Author Topic: First cinema memories  (Read 11112 times)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
First cinema memories
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 11:49:47 AM »
Hope everyone enjoys Friday's show where we discuss this. It was a lot of fun for us.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
First cinema memories
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 01:54:45 PM »
The first movie I remember seeing in the theatre was an animated Transformers thing...I was very young. In one of those bits of delicious symmetry, I saw Clerks II yesterday replete with discussion of Transformers. I don't have any particularly awesome theatre going experiences...I don't remember the location as part of my experience of a film.

Jolard

First cinema memories
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 03:38:09 PM »
My first movie memory would have to be Star Wars, the original, back when I was 7 or 8 years old. At the time my family was living in a very small country town in outback Australia, and the only cinema nearby was a hall that had a torn screen (you could see the tape holding it together), and had deck chairs for seating (I am not kidding). The projectionist/owner even stopped the film at one point to yell at some kids, I think I remember that they had thrown something at the screen.

Anyway, despite all that, I can still remember the wonder, and how transported I was. It sounds sooooo cliche, but I think that was when my love for movies really started.

john daum

First cinema memories
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 10:51:02 PM »
It was great to hear Sam and Adam's movie memories. This was a great thread idea and it has been interesting to read. I'll give two of mine for what it's worth. . .
1.] first movie memory- actually a non-movie memory. A friend in my class was having a Star Wars birthday slumber party. Everyone was going to go to the movie and then go back to his house and eat cake and whatnot. Everyone, except me. My parents were against movies for religious reasons. [So much for any "fun" in "fundamentalism"] They dropped me off at my friend's house AFTER the movie, so I had to listen to them talk about how cool it was all night. . .
2.] most vivid movie memory- sitting next to a girl I liked from high school, on her couch at her house watching TOP GUN on vhs. The tension was unbearable. . . the "Take My Breath Away" love scene. . . sweet jesus! what a night!!

alexander

First cinema memories
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2006, 12:05:25 AM »
i can't remember if I went to see Ghostbusters OR gremlins in the theater.  I went to see one and I don't remember. it was 84...my parents went to see one by themselves. so jam it.

Breefolk

First cinema memories
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 03:10:16 PM »
My first movie memory is going to see Superman II in the drive-in. Mom and Dad made us get into our pjs, then they lowered the back seat in the station wagon and put in a foam matress, and took us out to see the movie. I didn't see much of the movie, but I remember it being the coolest moment in my very young life. I think I would have been about 4 or 5 when it came out. Fun times. :)
heck out Librivox.org for free audiobooks. And if you feel like it, help record a classic. ;)

alexarch

• Godfather
Congrats
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 04:10:59 PM »
To winrit and wilson on getting mentioned on the podcast.  I really enjoyed what the guys had to say about the topic...so great suggestion.

I've got a movie memory.  My mom loved the drive-in, she is very cheap, and she's slightly air-headed.  I'm the youngest of 3 kids.  She used to pile us into the station wagon in our pjs with a full cooler full of snacks for a double feature.  In this particular drive-in memory she hid me in the back seat beneath a pile of blankets so that she wouldn't have to pay for me.  I thought it was exciting...getting license to lie from my own mom.  My mom is a lot of fun, and some of that fun comes from her being inappropriate;  I was just joining in with that fun.  Unforunately, I couldn't breathe, but I could hear her talking to the ticket guy.  I told them I couldn't breathe, but my brother and sister hissed at me to shut up so Mom wouldn't be found out.  At a point in the transaction I heard everyone start laughing and then try to muffle their laughing.  After we got away from the ticket booth I was able to get out and breathe.

I found out years later that I could have gotten in free because I was under the age at which people are required to pay.  So, I suffocated for nothing.  We still tell this story at family get-togethers, and they still laugh at me.

mysteryman

First cinema memories
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 09:36:28 AM »
I never went to the drive-in as a kid (never had one nearby), but I take my family now. It's $2 a person and in the middle of the cornfields and you can't beat it with a stick.

I remember going to see The Lady and the Tramp, also Star Wars and Indiana Jones. I also remember going to see Footloose and waiting in a line that wrapped around the block in our little town's one screen theatre. The movie hit home with us bible-belters.

pehuskey

• Immortalized: Momma's favorite little lolligagger
First cinema memories
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 05:03:42 PM »
I didn't get to see alot of movies when I was young.  I was raised by my grandparents and they weren't on the go alot (consequently I did see alot of TV).

My first time I do remember.  My aunt and uncle came to visit from Cincinatti and took me to see two movies back to back...that's right, my first was a twofer.  The Flight of the Navigator followed by a brief recess at McDonald's and then back to the theater for Chuck Norris in Firewalker.  KICK ASS!!!

I probably didn't see 10 other movies at a theater, through high school.  I never really saw many at all until college.
You don't want to sound like a couple of fanboy boobs.

Fight apathy, or don't, whatever

kennjallen

First cinema memories
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 04:19:21 AM »
when i was about 8 years old, my mom and dad took us (kids ranging from 7 - 16) to see "2001 a space  odyssey". i only remembered the early ape scenes, since i probably fell asleep soon thereafter, but my parents made jokes about the movie several times since.

i can't even imagine what was in the previews that led them to think this would be a movie for the kids. (it's since become my favorite movie.)