Poll

I would rather see a film directed by...

Steven Spielberg
24 (43.6%)
Steven Soderbergh
12 (21.8%)
Gus Van Sant
19 (34.5%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: [Various] Director Death Match: Spielberg vs. Soderbergh vs. Van Sant  (Read 11514 times)

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
Re: Director Death Match: Spielberg vs. Soderbergh vs. Van Sant
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2009, 10:58:17 PM »
Spielberg, easily.  Then Soderberg.  Van Sant is so inconsistent.

You're wrong.  What about HookThe Lost World:  Jurassic Park IIAmistadWar of the WorldsIndiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Van Sant & Soderbergh combined can take on that overrated Jew!
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2009, 07:09:25 AM »
Why is spielberg ahead?
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2009, 08:24:29 AM »

You're wrong.  What about HookThe Lost World:  Jurassic Park IIAmistadWar of the WorldsIndiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I'm not wrong.  Even with those films, that I agree are shoddy, you're left with:  Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, Close Encounters, Empire of the Sun, Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, E.T.  Each of these films would be listed in my top 50 movies, Van Sant would have none in my top 50.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2009, 08:27:08 AM »

I'm not wrong.  Even with those films, that I agree are shoddy, you're left with:  Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, Close Encounters, Empire of the Sun, Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, E.T.  Each of these films would be listed in my top 50 movies, Van Sant would have noneParanoid Park and Milk ahead of those in my top 50.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Ronan

• Elite Member
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2009, 10:32:19 AM »
Yeah Van Sant can be interesting and sometimes masterly but Spielberg is a master. His high points greatly out weigh his lows and any of Van Sants best.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2009, 10:38:42 AM »
Yeah Van Sant can be interesting and sometimes masterly is a cinematic master but Spielberg is a master highly overrated. His high low points greatly out weigh his lows highs and any none of Van Sants best.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2009, 10:40:39 AM »
Yeah Van Sant can be interesting and sometimes masterly is a cinematic master but Spielberg is a master highly overrated. His high low points greatly out weigh his lows highs and any none of Van Sants best.

I agree, 100%. I haven't seen much Spielberg though, just Jaws, which sucks, Close Encounters, which sucks, E.T., which is one of the worst films ever, the 4th Indiana Jones, which was the worst film I saw last year, and Jurassic Park, which is fun.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2009, 12:03:10 PM »

I'm not wrong.  Even with those films, that I agree are shoddy, you're left with:  Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, Close Encounters, Empire of the Sun, Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, E.T.  Each of these films would be listed in my top 50 movies, Van Sant would have none in my top 50.

I only have one Spielberg film in my top 50, maybe 2 when I get around to watching Schindler's List again. Conversely I have 2 Van Sant films in my top 25, and three in my top 50, so he wins.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2009, 12:04:51 PM »
I don't have lists but Spielberg is still much better.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2009, 12:05:57 PM »

I only have one Spielberg film in my top 50, maybe 2 when I get around to watching Schindler's List again. Conversely I have 2 Van Sant films in my top 25, and three in my top 50, so he wins.

Same. I've got two Spielberg films(maybe) and two Van Sant films in my top 50, but I've seen pretty much all of spielberg's work and haven't seen much of Van Sant's work, and that Van Sant's films are better then Spielberg's.