Poll

Which Animation Studio is more worthy of praise for their first features.

Disney
17 (37%)
Pixar
29 (63%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Animation Death Match: Disney vs. Pixar  (Read 17619 times)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
Re: Animation Death Match: Disney vs. Pixar
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 05:36:47 PM »
I'll go with Disney only because Pixar has made more weaker films (not weak per say of course) than Disney. Wall-E, Finding Nemo and the first Toy Story are, in my opinion, stunning. But Toy Story 2, Cars and A Bug's Life...are okay. Then you look at Disney's lineup in this poll and you only see real heavy hitters. Therefore, Disney.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 06:08:25 PM »
Wall-E and The Incredibles are better than any movie Disney ever produced. Finding Nemo and Toy Story are better than every Disney movie except for Beauty and the Beast and Bambi. Based on those opinions, it's safe to put me in the Pixar camp.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 06:13:47 PM »
Were there any full length animated movies before Disney? 

http://i27.tinypic.com/692oif.jpg

http://i26.tinypic.com/fbjqep.jpg

Plus a few others.

I also heartily disagree that Toy Story 2 is in the just okay camp.  I liked it nearly as much as the first one.  And A Bug's Life is pretty good too.  Cars I'm in agreement on.

I would also argue that there's already a slide in animation quality starting after Bambi that I especially noticed with Alice and Peter Pan, and it's very much downhill after that even though there are still some classics, the level is much more similar to TV animation of the time.  Once Pixar is up to 15-20 features if they keep their current level of quality they will blow Disney's doors off.
Wow fascinating!  Disney was still quite the pioneer though--it looks like only a couple of the listed films were hand drawn, frame-by-frame animation like Disney did.  Most of the other 1930s ones are stop motion/puppets and the Adventures of Prince Achmed (which looks gorgeous) is a variant of that as well, albeit flat silhouette puppets, which is cool as all get out.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 07:49:03 PM »
I'm not big on Fantasia, but aside from Toy Story, 2, partially Ratatouille, and mostly Wall-E Pixar hasn't really made anything that I consider all that great and in the case of The Incredibles, despite the Rand influence, or the part of Cars I saw even enjoyable. On the other hand I enjoy all other nine Disney films. Plus if we go down the road Disney has Hercules and The Lion King so they get the decisive edge easily.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 09:58:57 PM »
I think I'd have to go Disney... Although I do feel slightly bad about it. Those first nine films are incredibly strong... If we were looking at recently I'd be far happier to go with Pixar, as they are certainly dominant at the mo and I think are doing brilliant stuff.

The two main things stopping me voting Pixar are that I haven't seen them all/remember the ones I have seen and I think there a few weaklings in there. Unlike many I was not a Ratatouille fan and think it is one of their weakest. Also haven't seen Cars or A Bug's Life, and I only have vague memories of the Toy Stories... That said, Finding Nemo is amayzin', and I absolutely adore The Incredibles which I know many others don't (personally, The Incredibles is one of the few movies I've seen with a strong message about nuclear family which doesn't make me want to puke). Also, haven't seen Wall-E yet due to crappy Australian release dates, but I have a suspicion that will almost be enough to change my vote.

At the same time, Disney's line-up is impressive. Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Bambi, Fantasia, Peter Pan... It's almost unbeatable...

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 10:03:45 PM »
WALL-E, Ratatouille and Finding Nemo are three of the greatest animated films ever made. Case closed.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 10:55:14 PM »
Pixar is doing great things, but my childhood would never forgive me if I didn't pick Disney.  I just love too many of their films, ask me again in 40 years.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 12:08:35 AM »
It was tough, but I went with Pixar. Disney just has too many films that I really don't like.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 12:11:28 AM »
Kind of indifferent to both.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 02:20:50 AM »
Disney:

Pinocchio
Fantasia
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Dumbo
Bambi
Cinderella
Peter Pan
Lady and The Tramp
Alice in Wonderland (awesome it you are high, but i wouldn't know...or would i?).

Pixar:

Ratatouille
The Incredibles
Toy Story
Wall-E
Finding Nemo
Monsters Inc.
A Bug's Life
Toy Story 2
Cars

Still, i love them all!
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

love