Poll

Which Animation Studio is more worthy of praise for their first features.

Disney
17 (37%)
Pixar
29 (63%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Animation Death Match: Disney vs. Pixar  (Read 17687 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Animation Death Match: Disney vs. Pixar
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2009, 10:59:34 PM »
I think the main point to take away from this discussion is that no Pixar film has voicework from Miley.  Bolt does, therefore it is the superior film in all aspects.

Wrong. The Incredibles has Sarah Vowell.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2009, 12:10:33 AM »
I think the main point to take away from this discussion is that no Pixar film has voicework from Miley.  Bolt does, therefore it is the superior film in all aspects.

I was speaking on behalf of FLYmeatwad.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2009, 09:01:39 AM »

I was speaking on behalf of FLYmeatwad.

This is also likely the reason Big Fish is the best Tim Burton film, though I don't know if I'd buy that entirely.

Either way, I did some thinking last night and reached 3 conclusions. The first was that the only two scenes in The Incredibles that stand out in my memory are the jungle scene, which does not have a 60's style and in which the characters feel aesthetically out of place, not because of their uniforms and what not, but just simply their dimensions, and the final city sequence, which once again had a more modern feel from what I remember, not a 60's feel, and a scene in which I had the same problem. The second conclusion is that the animated style of the characters felt reminiscent of The Iron Giant characters, except a bit less detailed. Now I did some looking around and both are Brad Bird films (coincidentally both suck) so I suppose some stylistic aspects are going to carry over, but I did not have any problems with the animation in The Iron Giant if I recall, I wasn't a big fan of the visual look of the film but I don't think I had any problems with the animation. If the similarities in style do exist, then it would seem to me that The Incredibles, which I suppose had a better story maybe, would have been better hand drawn. The third conclusion is that I am going to have to watch The Incredibles again because I have no idea who the Hell Edith Head is, but I also determined that I am not willing to put myself through yet another viewing of this film, I've tried too many times before and it would be nothing more than a waste of a few hours.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2009, 09:22:53 AM »
The third conclusion is that I am going to have to watch The Incredibles again because I have no idea who the Hell Edith Head is, but I also determined that I am not willing to put myself through yet another viewing of this film, I've tried too many times before and it would be nothing more than a waste of a few hours.
There's actually no need for that since the movie won't really answer that question by itself: Edith Head was one of the most celebrated Costume Designers in Hollywood. The Edna 'E' Mode character in The Incredibles is modeled after her.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2009, 11:50:44 AM »
Either way, I did some thinking last night and reached 3 conclusions. The first was that the only two scenes in The Incredibles that stand out in my memory are the jungle scene, which does not have a 60's style and in which the characters feel aesthetically out of place, not because of their uniforms and what not, but just simply their dimensions, and the final city sequence, which once again had a more modern feel from what I remember, not a 60's feel, and a scene in which I had the same problem. The second conclusion is that the animated style of the characters felt reminiscent of The Iron Giant characters, except a bit less detailed. Now I did some looking around and both are Brad Bird films (coincidentally both suck) so I suppose some stylistic aspects are going to carry over, but I did not have any problems with the animation in The Iron Giant if I recall, I wasn't a big fan of the visual look of the film but I don't think I had any problems with the animation. If the similarities in style do exist, then it would seem to me that The Incredibles, which I suppose had a better story maybe, would have been better hand drawn. The third conclusion is that I am going to have to watch The Incredibles again because I have no idea who the Hell Edith Head is, but I also determined that I am not willing to put myself through yet another viewing of this film, I've tried too many times before and it would be nothing more than a waste of a few hours.

Wait, all of the claims you've made about The Incredibles, and this whole time you've only remembered two scenes? And wrongly, I might add. The only similarity between the design in The Iron Giant and The Incredibles is that they both take place around the 60's, but they're completely different interpretations of it. The character design especially is totally different. My conclusion is that you have no idea what you're talking about. ???

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2009, 02:31:40 PM »

Wait, all of the claims you've made about The Incredibles, and this whole time you've only remembered two scenes? And wrongly, I might add. The only similarity between the design in The Iron Giant and The Incredibles is that they both take place around the 60's, but they're completely different interpretations of it. The character design especially is totally different. My conclusion is that you have no idea what you're talking about. ???

I don't know, that detective from The Iron Giant seemed to have that blocky feel that Mr. Incredible has, he's the only character that stands out in my memory from that film though, both of these films I attempt to block out. Also, I do remember other scenes, but not in any great detail, the two that had lasting impressions were the jungle scene and the final city fight scene. I mean I remember the introduction well enough, introducing the heroes in their prime and then blending into a day in the life of Mr. Incredible, I think. The kids actually tracking their parents down. That annoying kid on the tricycle. The babysitter part and all her damn messages. It's just those two scenes where the images stick out as well.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2018, 11:49:39 AM »
Ten years later, Disney has bought Pixar even though the two studios continue releasing separate work, Coco notwithstanding. Has Disney benefitted enough from Pixar to shift the trend? Has it impoverished the smaller studio instead? Is anyone going to actually make a ranking combining all these movies?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2018, 12:13:56 PM »
The last 10 Years of Disney & Pixar:

1. Toy Story 3
2. Wreck-It Ralph

3. Wall-E
4. Up
5. Big Hero 6
6. The Princess and the Frog
7. Zootopia

8. Frozen
9. Moana
10. Tangled
11. Coco
12. The Good Dinosaur

13. Inside Out
14. Winnie the Pooh
15. Incredibles 2
16. Finding Dory
17. Monsters University
18. Cars 3
19. Brave
20. Bolt

21. Cars 2

Not as clear cut as I imagined, though I continue to believe when Lasseter moved from Pixar to Disney, Disney got better and Pixar got worse. Now both face an uncertain but necessary future without him.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:16:02 PM by 1SO »

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2018, 12:16:27 PM »
Crikey, all the orange and red is Pixar except for Winnie and Bolt. I was half joking when I wrote those questions, but it seems you really do think Disney has become a better studio than Pixar of late.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2019, 10:59:34 PM »
The last 10 Years of Disney & Pixar:

12. The Good Dinosaur

13. Inside Out

Now that is a rare opinion

love