Poll

Which Animation Studio is more worthy of praise for their first features.

Disney
17 (37%)
Pixar
29 (63%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Animation Death Match: Disney vs. Pixar  (Read 17608 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Animation Death Match: Disney vs. Pixar
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 10:52:18 AM »
O yea, and don't even get me started on how Disney made every great fairy tale ever written into dumbed down cotton candy fluff. Those stories were morbid and scary and with the exception of Beauty and the Beast they ruined them all. Even worse is all these Barbie films doing the same thing now.

I like my Grimm Fairy Tales grim, okay! So Disney can go jump in the lake after tying a very large rock around their necks.

O, and don't mention Alice in Wonderland around me ever again. Disney's royally screwed up that story.

I think my problem is that I'm to literate to enjoy Disney's dumbed down dreck.

*End of self-righteous rant*

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 11:18:57 AM »
Yeah, that was kind of self righteous. Still, you made an interesting point. I think we tend to forget that many of the classic 'Disney' movies were, in fact, quite different stories in their original material.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 11:37:28 AM »
O yea, and don't even get me started on how Disney made every great fairy tale ever written into dumbed down cotton candy fluff. Those stories were morbid and scary and with the exception of Beauty and the Beast they ruined them all. Even worse is all these Barbie films doing the same thing now.

I like my Grimm Fairy Tales grim, okay! So Disney can go jump in the lake after tying a very large rock around their necks.

O, and don't mention Alice in Wonderland around me ever again. Disney's royally screwed up that story.

I think my problem is that I'm to literate to enjoy Disney's dumbed down dreck.

Disney's films may be "dumbed down" but it doesn't stop Snow White from being a total masterpiece of filmmaking. And Sleeping Beauty is one of the most beautiful animated films ever made. The fact is Disney has made some amazing films. My problem is that for every Snow White or Sleeping Beauty or Fantastia there is a Robin Hood or Sword in the Stone or Brother Bear to go along. AS of yet Pixar doesn't have that problem yet. When a studio can say that their worst films are A Bug's Life and Cars they are doing something very very right.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 11:49:36 AM »
Alice's Adventures In Wonderland is one of my favorite books ever. I also LOVE the movie. I am really ok with any movie changing the story around as long as the end product is good. In all of these cases the movie is good so I couldn't care less if they're different from the original story.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 12:43:01 PM »

I think my problem is that I'm totoo literate to enjoy Disney's dumbed down dreck.

;)

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2008, 12:53:21 PM »

I think my problem is that I'm totoo literate to enjoy Disney's dumbed down dreck.

;)

BURN!!!!
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 01:18:03 PM »
Yeah, I think I'll put off the nostalgia glasses for a moment and click on that Pixar button.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:25:28 PM by Tequila »
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 05:47:17 PM »

;)
:P

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 11:18:13 AM »
Disney's films may be "dumbed down" but it doesn't stop Snow White from being a total masterpiece of filmmaking. And Sleeping Beauty is one of the most beautiful animated films ever made. The fact is Disney has made some amazing films. My problem is that for every Snow White or Sleeping Beauty or Fantastia there is a Robin Hood or Sword in the Stone or Brother Bear to go along. AS of yet Pixar doesn't have that problem yet. When a studio can say that their worst films are A Bug's Life and Cars they are doing something very very right.

Robin Hood & Sword are fan friggin tastic.  Brother Bear & Hood though are in the Post Disney era of teh company. 

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009, 10:07:57 PM »
I think Pixar is the clear choice. 

On the Disney side:
Good films
We all grew up with Disney
Created the genre (yes, there are other animated films, but Disney created the mold everyone uses)
Visually stunning

On the Pixar side:
Can't-leave-your-seat stories  (At least most)
Perfected and continues to push the envelope for CGI
Created characters that we care about
Is equally entertaining for both adults and children
Able to be watched 20 times in a short period of time (which is important if you have small children)
At times, side-splittingly funny

While I must give a nod to Disney's ground-breaking, and I will say that in a hundred years some of Disney's movies (like Fantasia and Lion King) will still be loved, I think Pixar is the better overall choice.  I wonder if for some, choosing Disney is simply nostalgia love rather than a true comparison of movies.  Not for all, but some.

My list:

Wall-E
Finding Nemo
Toy Story
Fantasia
Toy Story 2
Monsters Inc.
Alice in Wonderland
Ratatouille
A Bug's Life
Pinocchio
Dumbo