Author Topic: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 561745 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #1520 on: December 14, 2010, 09:18:31 AM »
Verdict: Moonlight Whispers moves on.[/center]

I missed this earlier. Interesting to see MW move on. I thought it was good too. Wonder how it'll do in the third.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1521 on: December 14, 2010, 12:43:56 PM »
Comrades: Almost a Love Story
(Peter Chan, 1996)
Melvil's original verdict

Comrades, A Love Story starts off feeling like a romantic comedy. A man from rural China arrives in Hong Kong one evening on the train. He’s bewildered by the size of the city and the number of people in it. He manages to find his way to his aunt’s house which, it turns out, is a brothel. There’s a hooker there named Cabbage (yes Cabbage). Anyways, his aunt gives him a room to stay in. There’s just enough space for him to lay down amongst the boxes and other clutter. He doesn’t let it dampen his spirits though. In fact, as we find out through the letters he sends back home to his girlfriend, he’s as happy as a clam.

It takes a trip to McDonald's for XiaoJun to learn that you can’t get very far in Hong Kong without Cantonese. Luckily the server, a cute girl (Maggie Chung), speaks Mandarin and helps him out. Later on she suggests to him that English lessons would be a good idea if he wants to find work. She works part-time at a school and offers to set him up with some classes. Once it’s done she says “have a nice life” and leaves him to fend for himself.

They continue to bump into each other at the school over the next couple weeks. The encounters usually involve XaioJun demonstrating his ignorance in technology, language or manners. He drops his jaw when he learns she has a pager, as if it were tantamount to possessing a holy relic. He doubles her home on his bike one day and innocently comments, “you’re heavier than my girlfriend”. The general idea is that he’s a dope, but she puts up with him. They aren’t friends yet, just friendly acquaintances.

XiaoJun’s English lessons consist of him watching old westerns and slapstick comedies and repeating phrases like “go to hell” and “jump you son of a bitch”. The teacher is an alcoholic who sits at the back of the class taking swigs from his hip flask. When XiaoJun isn’t taking English lessons he’s working as a delivery-man. He delivers chickens on his country-bumpkin bicycle.

Maggie Chung, the cute girl from McDonald’s and the part-time school janitor, also works a whole host of other jobs. She sells flower arrangements and ponrographic videos, and she hires XiaoJun to deliver them. She a money-minded individual if ever there was one. She even says “I could have friends if I wanted, but I want money more”. In any case, they both end up spending quite a bit of time together. Whether she thinks they are friends or not, XaioJun does.

At this point in the movie things take a welcome turn and become more serious. The whole goofy guy, workaholic girl angle, which was an effective but tedious character building period of the film, is replaced with actual compelling drama. One rainy night, after failing to sell anything at the market together, XaioJun and Qiao go back to his place for a bite. They talk about where they came from. Qiao gets defensive when XaioJun says they are from a similar area. She resents her heritage and is proud of earning her place in the big city. Still, she doesn’t close herself off to XaioJun. Predictably, but naturally, things get more intimate, and by intimate I mean we see XaioJun take his sweater off and the film fades to black. It’s a very well-played scene. Maggie Chun, the little looks she gives, her movements... It kind of dawned on me just how good of an actress she is.

The next morning we see XiaoJun out on the street using a payphone and making a very awkward call to his girlfriend back home thanking her for the gifts she sent for New Years. She thanks him for the all the letters. He lies and says “I love you”. Time passes, he continues to write to her, trying, and failing, to tell her that he’s fallen in love with someone else. And on it goes, in and out of cliche territory. The story spans many years and follows our two characters through thick and thin (and believe me, things do get pretty thin). The film didn’t blow me away with originality or surprises, but it was well told. Conventional sure, but compelling too. Strong performances and a nice soundtrack don’t hurt either. You could call it paint-by-numbers and I wouldn’t argue with you, but hey, at sometimes you’ve gotta do what gets the job done.

The film worked best for me when the tone was serious. It goes to some dark places, and I was right there with it. There are attempts at comic relief, which usually I would welcome, but unfortunately they come in the form of cartoonish characters who just didn’t make me laugh. Only a minor setback. On the whole I enjoyed this film.

Moe No Suzaku
(Naomi Kawase, 1997)
roujin's original verdict

Unlike Comrades, I don't have a lot to say about this one. It's not plot heavy, but does enough to feel like it's going somewhere. It sets up the characters early, then jumps ahead 15 years and lets things play out as they may. A rural family consisting of a Father, his wife, his daughter, his nephew and his mother. They react to a few minor and one major incident, and then the film is over. The satisfaction comes in understanding their relationships and their situation more than what ends up happening. Even so, it's stretched pretty thin imo.

Not a fan.

Verdict: Comrades, Almost a Love Story moves on.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #1522 on: December 14, 2010, 12:55:21 PM »
Love the writeups, 'noff. Comrades sounds a little cheesy in parts but your writeup definitely makes me want to watch it. Plus, Maggie Cheung! I also love your little touch of adding the flags next to the titles :).

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1523 on: December 14, 2010, 01:02:46 PM »
Nice job on the write-ups Charlie and 'Noff!  We're moving right along in this bracket.

Is Maggie Chung in every movie?
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #1524 on: December 14, 2010, 01:04:46 PM »
I wish!
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

mańana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #1525 on: December 14, 2010, 01:07:40 PM »
Yikes, I totally lost track of these. Really enjoyable reads, BlueVoid, ProperCharlie, and smirnoff.

And the flags are a nice touch, 'noff.  :)
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #1526 on: December 14, 2010, 01:21:18 PM »
Hooray, smirnoff! At this point I don't remember exactly what I liked so much about Comrades, but I definitely thought it managed to break through the cliches enough to be entertaining and effective. Glad you enjoyed it.

ProperCharlie, I'm kinda surprised at your feelings for Kids Return, that setup made me think you were going to like it. I'm biased, but I'm still glad to see the Kitano stick around. :) It's not a great movie, but I thought it had some great moments, and I'm already naturally inclined towards the directorial style.

ProperCharlie

• Am I right sir? Ithangyou.
« Reply #1527 on: December 14, 2010, 02:07:30 PM »
ProperCharlie, I'm kinda surprised at your feelings for Kids Return, that setup made me think you were going to like it. I'm biased, but I'm still glad to see the Kitano stick around. :) It's not a great movie, but I thought it had some great moments, and I'm already naturally inclined towards the directorial style.

I didn't hate it, I didn't even really dislike it.  It was one of those films, that to me at least, just didn't have anything to offer.  :-\

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #1528 on: December 23, 2010, 10:51:05 PM »

Lifeline - Director Johnnie To's breakthrough film, one that marked his leap from entertaining genre movies like The Heroic Trio to top-flight action films.  It's billed as a Hong Kong version of Backdraft, but it's much better than that movie.  Following a group of characters in and around a HK firehouse, the film alternates intense scenes of firefighters at work with various melodramatic problems in their outside lives.  With 40 minutes or so left in the film, though, those various problems get resolved (we don't care all that much about any of them anyway) and To gives us an extended, complex and very intense climax wherein the fighters have to rescue people, and their fellow firefighters, from a fire in a massive factory filled with all kinds of nasty chemicals and only two doors(!).  So basically, the film has the exact same structure as John Woo's Hard Boiled, the greatest action film of all-time.  And while this one doesn't have Chow Yun-fat or Tony Leung (though Lau Ching-wan, star of many a later To film, is pretty great in his own right) or Woo's metaphysical dualities (To is never metaphysical, at least not on purpose), it does have Ruby Wong diving into a hole in the middle of a monsoon and pulling an abandoned infant out of a collapsing mud pile.  And that's something.

The Power of Kangwon Province - I think Hong Sangsoo gets better with every film he directs, so it was with some trepidation I watched this, his second feature.  Most of the familiar things I love about Hong's films are already in place: a dual structure wherein the second half varies the events and deepens the themes of the first, a sly, off-hand sense of humor that deflates his largely egotistical and self-involved characters, and a real appreciation for the joys of vacation and binge-drinking.  The first part of the film centers on a trio of girls who spend a few days in Kangwon, visiting the local sights.  One of them (Jisook) flirts with a married local cop and eventually spends the night with him.  In the second half, we meet a university professor, married and currently unemployed who goes to Kangwon on vacation with a friend.  Turns out they are around the same time as the earlier girls, and though they don't meet in Kangwon, they are otherwise connected to them.  Though there are some moments of that trademark Hong humor here, it might be his most oppressively depressing film.  His later works manage to explore similarly dark territory in the relations between men and women, but they're more leavened with self-deprecating humor and moments of absurdity.  It's still a very good film, and I might even prefer it to one later Hong film (Woman is the Future of Man, which I need to see again), but lately he's been operating on a much higher level.

It's very close, I did like both movies.  But I'll have to give the edge to Lifeline.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

flieger

« Reply #1529 on: December 23, 2010, 11:06:31 PM »
John Woo's Hard Boiled, the greatest action film of all-time.
8)

love