love

Author Topic: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 561931 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: 1990s Far East Bracket - Verdicts
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 11:55:28 AM »
And how cool is this bracket! It's already got 2 Yangs, 2 Wais Wongs, 1 John Woo and 1 Miike film and we have barely even begun  ;D.

Seriously, if we're going to do this, lets make some effort to call people by their proper names.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 12:00:51 PM »
And how cool is this bracket! It's already got 2 Yangs, 2 Wais Wongs, 1 John Woo and 1 Miike film and we have barely even begun  ;D.

Seriously, if we're going to do this, lets make some effort to call people by their proper names.

Yeah, it's proper to watch out for the old 'what I thought was their first name is actually their last name' situation. Wong is the man's last name , it just isn't writen as such according to Western standards.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 12:39:09 PM »

Yeah, it's proper to watch out for the old 'what I thought was their first name is actually their last name' situation. Wong is the man's last name , it just isn't written as such according to Western standards.

I knew that and still made that mistake. Oh well. Thanks for the correction!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:42:58 PM by worm@work »

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 12:42:32 PM »
You're not the only one.  People were doing it all day yesterday (and driving me nuts).  It's a pet peeve of mine.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 12:44:48 PM »
I'm now of the opinion that I like the first half more than the 2nd half of Chungking. Both are excellent though.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 01:00:29 PM »

See, it's the fact that they call each other by their last name first. Soo confusing to us silly Americans.

Great write up even if it's kind of obvious which film's gonna win.  I will say that I liked Rainy Dog, but I think it's because I see the really great film that it could become.  You were very focused on the plot which is agreeably pedestrian, but I think the potential of the film lies in its mood and the mindset of the lead character, who I think is a very interesting version of the lonely hitman.  I think if you drop some of the quirky Miike-ness and deepen the characters it could be a much better film.
I saw the potential to but I wanted to focus more on what the film was and less on what it could have been. And I also found that juxtaposed with the silly stuff the contrast made both extremes unpleasant when mixed together.

The California Dreaming song didn't bother me so much in Chungking Express. Wong's character is sort of off beat most of the times, so she's entitled to her own particularities.
In some ways I'm a bit hypocritical for criticizing the musical repetition because it doesn't bug me at all that the same motif is played over and over again in Three Colors: Blue. But there it's a very obtrusive character and directly effects points in the plot. And I really never got tired of "California Dreamin'," I just thought he could have used some other great American songs as well.

Hotel California?! I hate the -ing Eagles, man!
To each his own. They are like the only band I listen to. No, I'm not kidding.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:07:43 PM by lotr-sam0711 »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
You're not the only one.  People were doing it all day yesterday (and driving me nuts).  It's a pet peeve of mine.

Apologies to sdedalus and half of the Far East filmmakers who've been in my polls.  It's too late to correct Park Chan-wook when he comes up.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 01:58:41 PM »

Just more fodder for my suspicion that you are actually a 60 year old father of 4.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 02:26:50 PM »
And how cool is this bracket!

Very cool.  I thought I knew that already, but seeing these verdicts come in made me realize that I'd underestimated just how cool this all is.

Nice writeups, everyone.  Don't forget to pick yourself out another pair of films, if you haven't already.  :D

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 02:56:16 PM »

Just more fodder for my suspicion that you are actually a 60 year old father of 4.
I act like one, but no, I'm very much a demented 19 year old.