Author Topic: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 561908 times)

worm@work

• Godfather
Re: 1990s Far East Bracket - Verdicts
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2008, 10:31:34 PM »
Great verdict, sdedalus. I am hoping to catch Ashes of Time Redux on the big screen soon.. so maybe I can source Eagle Shooting Heroes and watch them both in close succession.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2008, 10:47:32 PM »
I might be more excited to see Ashes Of Time in the theatre than I am for the Criterion Chungking Express Blu-Ray.

It's going to be a great month.

The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2008, 03:21:16 PM »
I haven't seen Eagle Shooting Horses but i'd be the first to champion the resurrection of Fong Sai Yuk 2. No disrespect to the verdict - It's just a really fun film to watch.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2008, 11:47:44 AM »
The Blue Kite vs. Kite

I'm not one of those people who find it difficult to compare/contrast wildly different types of movies.  I picked this match-up because they both had the word "Kite" in the title and I figured that would be the only thing they would share.

And boy was I right.

Kite is a trashy, uber-violent action movie with all of the disturbing sexual context that was wisely cut from Leon.  It's so uninspired in it's plotting that it plays like those Bollywood films that steal whole plots and scenes from big Hollywood films.  At one point our underage assassin is sent after a big movie star who looks exactly like Bruce Willis.  I wish there was more imagination in the plotting.

However, the movie does have its share of sleazy fun.  For one thing, the bullets here don't just shoot.  They lodge inside a person and then explode.  (Oh, yeah!)  A lot of the action is wildly over the top and I bet a DVD copy sits on Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer's shelf.  (They probably brag over who showed it to who first.)  There are moments of visual flair and a sort of Paul Verhoeven "how much can we get away with" attitude to it all.  But the moments between the set-pieces are very dull - bad for a film that only runs 60min - and it left me feeling a smidge dirty.

I'm not the right person to be watching The Blue Kite.  If you were to meet my friends they would tell you I have a strange aversion to political films.  I just don't care for politics in my movies.  However, I really liked how this film focused on the people.  It's basically a "family (and a village) trying to get through life" kind of drama, but the shifting political sands keep bringing setbacks and tragedy to their doorstep.  The film is heavily political and I had trouble staying connected, but that's me... not the film.  The film is visually flat and neo-realistic in style, but it has something to say.  You can feel the filmmakers need to tell this story.  And the final shot is really powerful.

This is an interesting one for me to decide, because I had a lot more fun with Kite, and it's certainly the film I'd be more likely to rewatch.  But I'm also smart enough to step back from my personal tastes and realize that The Blue Kite is definitely the one that deserves to go forth.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2008, 11:51:05 AM »
A lot of the action is wildly over the top and I bet a DVD copy sits on Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer's shelf.  (They probably brag over who showed it to who first.)

Haha, nice.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
Well, you made me want to see Kite. Which i'm not sure was your intention.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2008, 02:05:08 PM »

I enjoyed Kite, but it's more of a guilty pleasure.  I wouldn't hold it up against real cinema but I liked it for the most part.  But I also liked...

Hollow Man
Starship Troopers
Ricochet
Planet Terror
Streets of Fire
Transporter 2
and Hostel.

So take it from where it's coming from.

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2008, 02:46:10 PM »
I like Verhoeven....

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2008, 03:21:10 PM »

I enjoyed Kite, but it's more of a guilty pleasure.  I wouldn't hold it up against real cinema but I liked it for the most part.  But I also liked...

Hollow Man
Starship Troopers
Ricochet
Planet Terror
Streets of Fire
Transporter 2
and Hostel.

So take it from where it's coming from.

Oh man, you and I wouldn't get along very well.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2008, 03:22:35 PM »
What is "real" cinema? :)

uh, did you watch the uncensored version Kite? I hear it's pretty, pretty AWESOME  8)

love