Author Topic: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 561658 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #290 on: January 22, 2009, 05:09:04 PM »
                                    Christmas In August             The Contact                 
IMDB Score7.87.5
DirectorJin-ho HurYoon-Hyun Chang
Country of OriginSouth KoreaSouth Korea
GenreDrama/RomanceDrama/Romance
Awards4 wins 2 noms3 wins
Lead ActorsSuk-kyu Han &
Eun-ha Shim
Suk-kyu Han &
Do-yeon Jeon

Christmas in August is a movie worth watching. It tells the story of a 30 something man who works at a photo store (you know, the places you went to in the 90's to get pictures developed and portraits taken?) The movie doesn't go out of it's way to build him up as the nicest of nice guys, but instead depicts him as a rather ordinary, personable fellow. Early on in the film you see the man (Jung-Won) take some pills, but nothing said of it. As the film progresses you pick up tidbits that don't give you much specific detail, but you come to suspect that Jung Won's ailment is more severe than he is letting on. Around 2/3 of the way through the movie you see Jung Won do some things that leave no question as to what's coming. The movie isn't entirely about discovering what is wrong with Jung Won, in fact that's handled with just a few short scenes. No, the meat of the movie is about how he spends these final days, weeks, and months. It's a rather common premise now that I think about it. Heck, one of my earlier match ups used the same situation as a base. But this isn't you average last days of glory kind of film. Jung Won proceeds rather resignedly. He doesn't rush out and travel the world, and he doesn't spend all his money. He restrains himself when it comes to his love life, and he continues to work at the photo shop. Perhaps these are more realistic actions under the circumstances. In anycase, it is what it is. He chooses a quiet withdrawl from the world. It's a compassionate movie, with a rather melancholy tone.

I understand what the movie was going for, and it does get there, but I did find it lacking in one way. I had an inkling pretty early on that Jung Won was terminally ill but the movie takes over half the running time to confirm it, and in the meanwhile I just took that suspicion and shelved it. This wouldn't be a problem necessarily if it wasn't for the first large portion of the movie being rather too slow. If I'd been watching the first 60 minutes with the knowledge I had in the last 30, I feel it would've added some much needed weight to the goings-on. I suppose it makes an excellent candidate for a rewatch! And in fact, that is what I've done. I watched it again while I was sitting here thinking what to write. And sure enough it was a fair bit better the second time through. The thumb-twiddling scenes from before now had more importance. So who knows, maybe the way I watch movies really had a negative effect on this one. Tastes are tastes. It's just my opinion that the sequence of events should've been arranged differently, to give a stronger sense of purpose to the entire movie.

Ultimately I think the movie was good. I feel like I've considered it thoroughly, and understand it. It's interesting if not all that engaging. Neither of the main characters were overly charming, Jong Won or his love interest. Their relationship was rather peculiar; because of John Won's choices it is never allowed to fully blossom. And in some ways that's true of the whole movie. I felt John Won's lack of fight, while totally understandable, doesn't give us the kind of hope that would better carry this movie (even if it is destined to end in sadness). The whole movie is subdued. Like I said, it's interesting, but you don't get a whole lot to rally around.

That's about all the noteworthy aspects I can remember. It's a 3/5 as far as my own overall enjoyment goes, but a 4 or 4.5/5 when it comes to achieving what it set out to do. I think depending on your tastes, you may really love this movie. A lot! I look forward to hearing others thoughts on this one. It will be moving on to round 2.
--------------------------------

I've seen The Contact described as a not-so-lighthearted You've Got Mail. I haven't seen YGM in full, but I understand the general plot and can say it's a fair comparison. You've got two people, troubled in their own love lives, and they happen to strike up a friendship via email. To be honest, I was a little confused as to how exactly all this comes about in The Contact. Maybe it was the subtitles which seemed rather crudely translated. Or maybe I was just getting names confused. I had to rewind a bit but eventually I sorted it out. In any case, they find themselves online together about 20 minutes into the movie. There's a bit of deceit at first, then apologies, then advice. Amongst the brief email scenes, the film continues to focus on the independent lives of the two major parties, mainly their love lives. It comes to pass that both of their pursuits don't pan out. They console each other, and eventually decide to meet for the first time. But of course, in true movie style, a misfortune strikes just then that threatens the meeting from ever taking place.

This movie sticks to the playbook for the most part. It's even got a musical montage complete with lead characters casting longing looks from their apartment windows.... no rain though.  ;) Fortunately this film throws in a few ingredients of it's own into formula. Most memorable was the supercool soundtrack. It's more than just a soundtrack actually. One of the songs has importance within the plot. There's a few other unique quirks added in to break things up a bit. This movie isn't a romantic comedy. Acutally it wasn't even all that romantic. It's just a low-key relationship drama.

On the whole I thought it was somewhere between okay and good. Maybe a 2.5 or 3/5 on the enjoyment scale. The beautiful lead actress gives a performance worth mentioning. Suk-kyu Han wasn't asked to do much. He was almost perpetually calm. I just didn't buy his character. Nevertheless, I guess I could recommend it. If nothing else, it's got good music, a good ending, and it's not too long.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 10:52:59 PM by smirnoff »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #291 on: January 22, 2009, 05:09:32 PM »
Next!

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #292 on: January 22, 2009, 05:29:58 PM »
Cool, nice writeup smirnoff! I haven't seen either of these, but I'll look forward to seeing where Christmas in August goes from here.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #293 on: January 22, 2009, 05:47:10 PM »
Why is it that the crime/gangster/violent flicks from South Korea are so easy to find and the sublime melodramas are so difficult?  I mean I know why, but it's a shame I have trouble tracking down films like Christmas in August, Oasis and April Snow

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #294 on: January 22, 2009, 06:19:36 PM »
There's not a market for them, I guess. Although you can buy Korean dramas (which are the most melodramatic/weepy shit ever) online with Eng. subs... if that's your thing : :P

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #295 on: January 22, 2009, 06:53:40 PM »
Having never seen either of those two films, I would say that at least based on the synopses of each, the verdict seems sensible.

Good show.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #296 on: January 22, 2009, 08:26:17 PM »
Thanks guys.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #297 on: January 31, 2009, 08:59:22 AM »
Christmas in August is a movie worth watching... I think depending on your tastes, you may really love this movie. A lot! I look forward to hearing others thoughts on this one.

You know, I've actually seen this movie twice.  I rented it last year, right before this bracket started, and I made it pretty much the whole way through before I realized I'd seen it already about three years before.  Not too memorable, it seems!  I have no idea what I thought of it that first time — I clearly wasn't blown away — but in the second viewing the movie was definitely a disappointment for many of flaws you pointed out in your verdict.  Afterwards, I read all these gushing comments over at IMDb, and I really just didn't understand where these people were coming from, how they were so moved by the film.  About twenty minutes into my screening, I just stopped caring for the most part.  There were a few good moments after that, here and there, but, I dunno, it mostly just didn't work for me.  Despite that, I stiill agree with your last comment there:  I can definitely see the right person on the right day totally falling in love with the movie.

Nice verdict, by the way.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #298 on: January 31, 2009, 10:36:29 AM »
Thanks pix.  :)

Yeah, many of the people on imdb were downright gaga over this one. I believe I read one comment that said it was the best movie ever even. Anyways, I'm really glad to hear your thoughts. I wonder which filmspotter might really enjoy this one most...

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #299 on: January 31, 2009, 01:22:51 PM »
The Longest Nite vs The Longest Summer

The Longest Nite

Directed by Patrick Yau Tat-Chi, this is a crazy uber-violent mix of Bad Lieutenant, The Shield, and Pulp Fiction. It tells the story of a very bad cop in the middle of a raging Triad gang war with very high stakes, both bodily and financial. Like many Asian movies (based on those I have seen) there is an over-the-top quality to this movie, however it does not cross into Miike territory. There are several interconnected story lines, which turn back on each other, reveling many twist and turns. I dont want to say more for fear of spoiling the fun. Its a very fun ride.

The Longest Summer

Directed by Fruit Chan, this film tells two stories. One, about the upcoming (1998) turn over of Hong King to China and two, its effects on a few of its citizens. Losing their  positions in the army due to the handover, a group of former soldiers are forced into a life of crime with the triads. Really this is two movies. The scenes telling the story of the handover were affecting, while the triad story seemed forced at times. There are some beautiful scenes in this film but the two story lines are never well connected forcing you in and out of the movie as the theme changes. The violence in this film is much more subtle than the former movie, but because the characters are not well developed, it actually has less impact that the surreal violence of The Longest Nite.

Verdict: For me this is not close, I had a great time with The Longest Nite. Its a great crime movie, over-the-top, violent, surreal, funny, and just plain fun. The Longest Summer is much quieter but more flawed.

The Longest Nite moves on.