Author Topic: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 561580 times)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
Re: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #430 on: February 18, 2009, 12:39:36 AM »
Additionally, A Scene At the Sea sounds like a fantastic film. Just the kind of film Kitano would make.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #431 on: February 18, 2009, 01:03:18 PM »
Dolls is also very good for the same reasons, plus it has much better cinematography.

The latest Left Field Cinema is about Dolls, and his review of it sounds a lot like my review of A Scene at the Sea. I've gotta check it out.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #432 on: February 18, 2009, 01:10:07 PM »
Dolls is also very good for the same reasons, plus it has much better cinematography.

The latest Left Field Cinema is about Dolls, and his review of it sounds a lot like my review of A Scene at the Sea. I've gotta check it out.

There was a time last year when I listened to Left Field Cinema every single week. I don't think I've begun a single episode for a month now. His style seemed provocative at first and now he just feels pompous. I haven't even posted on the boards in month I think.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #433 on: February 18, 2009, 01:13:08 PM »

There was a time last year when I listened to Left Field Cinema every single week. I don't think I've begun a single episode for a month now. His style seemed provocative at first and now he just feels pompous. I haven't even posted on the boards in month I think.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of his, but the podcasts are short enough I've stayed subscribed and just delete them if I'm not interested in the subject.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #434 on: February 18, 2009, 07:45:52 PM »
He's alright.  I love the very British way he mispronounces any foreign word.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #435 on: February 19, 2009, 07:27:12 AM »
He's alright.  I love the very British way he mispronounces any foreign word.

Download the episode in which he reviews No Country for Old Men and pay attention to his pronounciation of Javier Barden. It's like he's never heard a Spanish name in his entire life. I've noticed the French do the same (in their own way of course). A name simply cannot be said with a trace of its actual pronouciation. It must be said in a very British or French way.

Also, I was a bit harsh in my earlier comments. I would agree that he is obviously knowledgeable about film. This man watches a lot of movies, both current and from yesterday. His choice of topics per week is usually pretty good because they tend to be unorthodox. I think it's when he criticizes a film negatively that he grates me. He comes off as rather pompous as I said.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 07:29:27 AM by edgarchaput »

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #436 on: February 19, 2009, 11:25:57 AM »
That might just be his Britishness again.

One thing that's great about filmspotting is the dialogue.  You can't help but sound a bit pompous when you're just one person talking about what you think.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #437 on: February 24, 2009, 01:04:40 AM »
Round One Resurrection Forecast, Films 11 - 15

My Secret Cache (Yaguchi Shinobu, 1997)
Lost to Kids Return (verdict by JokerXgg)
Apart from the fact that My Secret Cache is a comedy with no real laughs, there's not a lot wrong with it.  The goofy, slapstick style reminds me more of indie comedies from Australia than from Japan, though maybe the unexpected Celtic soundtrack just threw off my associations.  Joker was very, very mean to this movie, and I don't disagree with him all that much.  The shenanigans are pretty tedious and the acting is very broad, with a lot of exaggerated facial expressions and sing-song line deliveries, but I still rather liked Naomi Nishida in the lead role.  Her deadpan energy (yay for oxymorons?) kept me from hating this movie.  She's like a poutier, more energetic version of Audrey Tautou.  She's also a former supermodel or something, leading to a running joke in the movie where everyone calls her ugly.  Ha! right?  I'm curious to see her in something else, especially as I don't remember Godzilla 2000 much at all.  Anyway, My Secret Cache might actually have something interesting to say about the pursuit of wealth, but that's sort of irrelevant when there are maybe four or five too many jokes about throwing up.

Serpent's Path (Kurosawa Kiyoshi, 1998)
Lost to Sonatine (verdict by Melvil)
After watching a string of comedies and anime films for this bracket, I found it so refreshing to reimmerse myself in Kurosawa's textured visual style.  Seriously, for maybe the first fifteen minutes of this movie, I was smiling dumbly just over the tone and atmosphere, thinking, "Ahh.... this is nice."  Then, starting about halfway through, in the midst of some pretty grim details in the story of father seeking revenge for his daughter's brutal rape and murder, I somehow found myself laughing with more frequency than I did during My Secret Cache.  There are some really wonderful, subtle moments of dark comedy here.  This was my third Kurosawa experience, after Cure and Pulse, and tone is definitely his strong suit; in fact, the tone by itself is really enough to recommend Serpent's Path.  I agree with Melvil, however, that the film's narrative is ultimately rather underwhelming.  In the last lines of the movie, someone asks, "Do you get it?" and another character answers, "No..."  That's my answer, too, but I'm not convinced there's much of anything to get.  In retrospect, it seems like the filmmakers had the germ of a good story but then started filming without bothering to flesh it out.  Kurosawa's style makes it work for a while, but in the end it all just feels like an empty tease.  I'm very curious to see how License to Live and Charisma compare.  Looking forward to those future verdicts.

Sleepless Town (Lee Chi-Ngai, 1998)
Lost to Perfect Blue (verdict by smirnoff)
Some cool opening credits here: a continuous shot, stripped of most of its color, following main character Takeshi Kaneshiro through the city at night as he transacts some minor yakuza business.  The credits themselves appear in these bursts of neon that look pretty damn cool against the greyed out background.  Sleepless Town is all downhill from there, unfortunately.  It's a gradual descent, but also a steady one.  I agree with everything smirnoff wrote in his verdict, but one line is especially perfect:  "At first I was intrigued by them, then I was confused by them, and finally I was annoyed by them."  Exactly.  Even through the one hour mark I thought maybe, after the film was over, I'd go back and rewatch the first twenty minutes to try to untangle the web of criminal relationships; by the two hour mark, I couldn't have cared less.  The narrative complexity just feels like one of many ways the film imitates neo-noir tropes for their own sake, without really understanding them.  Mirai Yamamoto's manic femme fatale incestuous pixie rape victim dream girl character offers another example.  The whole thing is just way too drawn out as well.  When the last "cool" moment unfolded, I said aloud, without really meaning to, "Ugh."  It's not a horrible film overall, but I admit I was glad for it to be over.

Suicide Bus (Shimizu Hiroshi, 1998)
Lost to Vive L'Amour (verdict by edgarchaput)
I paused this film about twenty-five minutes in just to check if it was Japan's official submission to the 1998 Oscars.  The style, tone, humor, and themes all just seemed to be perfect Oscar-bait material.  Japan went with Begging for Love instead that year (a film which would be in this bracket if I could track down a copy), and that's probably for the best, given the way Suicide Bus goes on to sabotage itself after its first act.  Sabotage is too strong a word.  There are just a few unfortunate moments, really, but they are so needlessly and frustratingly misguided as to sour me on the film.  No, that's too strong as well.  I still kind of like this film.  It's really wonderfully cast and has some good laughs and a touch of beauty, and I wanted to spend a lot more time with all the characters.  If I could resurrect just 70% of it and film new scenes to fill out the other 30%, I'd totally do that.  I actually wish Hollywood would remake this one.  Weird, I know, but this is a film that would actually benefit from being a little more predictable.  Every time that I saw the cute girl at the back of the bus (the one character who doesn't realize that it's a suicide mission) sitting near the one cute boy her age (who's not ruining away from debt like all the older men but from the pain of a love lost), I couldn't wait for them to start talking and slowly fall in love.  It makes me happy now just thinking about those imagined scenes.  The film never goes there, though.  It's more concerned with the less interesting, ill-defined, cultish zealotry of the trip's organizer, a role played by the screenwriter, which maybe explains a few of the script's odd choices.  I'd love to get my hands on the source novel by Nakahara Fumio to see if it plays out differently.

Porco Rosso (Hayao Miyazaki, 1992)
Lost to After the Rain (verdict by Melvil)
There's something very appealing about watching a pig smoke a cigarette.  I could almost see that being the starting point for this film.  Making the pig a pilot would have been the logical next step because any time Miyazaki renders flight it's one of the most enjoyable things ever.  Those two things together are enough for a pretty entertaining movie, but that seems have been the extent of the narrative brainstorming.  As Melvil says in his verdict, it's a shame the extent to which the Curtis character dominates the story.  I kept hoping he was just a minor subplot, but he kept popping back up like Piston Honda in Punch Out.  The story and the world of the story both feel disappointingly slight, especially for a Miyazaki film.  I don't think that's just an expectations thing, either.  I mean, this isn't that far removed from a very special two-part episode of Tailspin, except with a pig instead of a bear.  I love me some Tailspin, sure, but I'm not convinced it belongs in the second round.  DuckTales on the other hand...

pixote
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:19:57 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #438 on: February 24, 2009, 06:59:01 AM »
Porco Rosso (Hayao Miyazaki, 1992)
There's something very appealing about watching a pig smoke a cigarette.  I could almost see that being the starting point for this film.  Making the pig a pilot would have been the logical next step because any time Miyazaki renders flight it's one of the most enjoyable things ever. 

Yes! what a charming moviefilm...

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #439 on: February 24, 2009, 07:25:56 AM »
That was great to read. Way to go pix.

Ah Tailspin, I enjoyed that too. I thought Kit Cloudkicker was about the coolest character I'd ever seen when I was young. :)